Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

So the Pixel 8 does indeed use a new main sensor.
GNK, successor to the GN1.
is a 1/1.3-inch sensor with 1.2µm pixels, Dual Pixel Pro autofocus, 8K 30fps video recording, 4K 120fps video recording, Staggered HDR, Smart ISO Pro, and the ability to capture up to 14-bit RAW image files. It can also capture full-resolution 50MP frames at 24fps and 12.5MP pixel-binned frames at 90fps.

What an improvement the 8 Pro is over the Pixel 6 that I ended up selling as I hated it. The phone is really snappy and the screen is lovely.

I'll get the camera tested properly soon as I'm off on holiday at Christmas. First impressions are great, so far. :)

Got round to migrating to my 8 from my 5 last night, I'm sure last time I did it when moving to the 5 it was a bit more slick. No choice to use the cable to transfer stuff only Wifi, I had 70GB to move over, sure the cable would have been quicker. Also, pretty sure all the app logins and other settings were retained last time, this time, only about 5 random apps out of 194 were installed "as was" and ready to use as if on my old phone.
Am I rembering this wrong ? sure it was better in the past...... still, it made for an interesting evening playing the "wtf was my password for that" game, trying every password you can remember using then inevitably clicking "forgot my password" :cry:

The fingerprint reader on the 8 .... grrrrr, thank heavens it has face unlock or I would be getting a bit miffed already. Its also going to take a whlie to get used to the camera bar on the 8 compared to the 5, the camera is really very good though.

Has anyone else experienced wireless charging issues? My P8P has suddenly stopped wireless charging, was working fine last night. I've tried multiple chargers and restarted the phone but to no avail. Wired charging works fine. On to Pixel support now

Last edited:
Has anyone else experienced wireless charging issues? My P8P has suddenly stopped wireless charging, was working fine last night. I've tried multiple chargers and restarted the phone but to no avail. Wired charging works fine. On to Pixel support now

i have had issues on my P6, but as you have tried a restart normally fixes

could be a software issue

Last edited:
i have had issues on my P6, but as you have tried a restart normally fixes

could be a software issue

Yep I had the same on a P6. Now having an argument as they want me to send it back for repair rather than straight replacement. Just told them I can't be without a phone for up 10 working days which is what they are quoting and phone is not even 30 days old!

EDIT: After jumping through a lot of hoops I now have an advanced replacement agreed. New device ordered and I don't need to return the faulty one until received.

Last edited:
I took delivery of the Pixel stand 2, using up my Google store credit, last week.
And today I've just sent it back for a full refund.
It's a great idea that the stand does way more than a standard wireless charger, but there are some serious teething issues between it and the 8Pro that near enough disables the touch screen while it's charging. Which is just bonkers! And the fan noise on fast charge sounds like the bathroom extractor fan :D

So the 8Pro lives at night on my ageing Samsung wireless charger with zero issues.

I'm really getting to like the Google adaptive charging also. It's quite smart that it knows what time my alarm goes off in the morning and therefore charges at a rate to get to 100% at that time. If I look at it in the early hours, mid way through charging, it's only half way there.

so just got my buds pro for "free" the the store credit i got from my google one, thanks to the £70 off from the black friday sale + another 5% from a code the send me

Battery life is now in its "peak" performance - easily get a full day out of it. The camera is exceptional - definitely a step up from 6 Pro.

Happy with the upgrade.

I agree. I was contemplating waiting for a big price drop in these, i.e. maybe even awaiting the P9 release before picking up a P8 Pro, but I'm really glad I decided to go for it. The Pixel 8 Pro is a cracking phone.

Even face unlock is working flawlessly, which I didn't really expect. They seem to be putting Apple to shame by managing it without the awful cut out, but maybe the comparison isn't as direct - are Apple more secure?

Any computer is as secure as how you use it but perhaps that's naive.

I just don't get on with Apple products, although work have given me a macbook pro with the M2 chip - and it's pretty nice to be fair.

I think the glass however is not as tough as they make out - certainly my p6pro did end up with light scratches, just from pulling it in and out of my pocket. But after 2 years I suppose that's to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom