Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Associate
Not really sure what your moan is. We have just reached a certain point in technology. It was the same for the iPhone event.

Not really sure you can call it lazy. Things have just got a bit more incremental rather than ground breaking.

Probably little point upgrading every year unless you are an enthusiast

Apple have always done it because they know their customers will always buy the latest and greatest on release regardless.....It's a status product and they know it. I feel that other companies are now jumping on the bandwagon of doing very little because they think they can also get away with it.

I had a Poco F3 before, it charged significantly faster, the battery life was brilliant on it, it was just as quick as the Pixel, had an ultrasonic finger print reader on the power button that was instant and overall it felt nicer to use because it didn't have a hallow screen design, all on something that cost £350....

Look at the Pixel Watch....24h battery life, everybody moaned about the battery life, it's the one thing they needed to fix.....didn't bother. There are watches out there with the same feature set getting close to a week.....Why didn't they improve it?

They will only innovate when they're forced too, ie, when sales slow down and people stop pre-ordering the same stuff every year :D

I love my pixel 7 pro and the watch but yeah, they were just lazy....

Associate
The price increases weren't welcome but were well flagged. At least the option to move up to 256GB wasn't the extra £100 I feared over the base 128GB.

Google Pixel UK launch prices

Pixel 8 Pro
128GB - £999
256GB - £1059
512GB - £1179

Pixel 8
128GB - £699
256GB - £759

Pixel 7 Pro
128 GB - £849
256 GB - £949

Pixel 7
128 GB - £599
256 GB - £699

Pixel 6 Pro
128 GB - £849
256 GB - £949

Pixel 6
128 GB - £599
256 GB - Not available in UK

Pixel 7a
128 GB - £449

Pixel 6a
128 GB - £399 [Cut to £349 on Pixel 7a launch; Currently £299]

Soldato
"No" was my first reaction. But now comes the man maths.

Via ID Mobile, £249 upfront, less £255 trade-in (P7 Pro), less £85 cashback, less £200 proceeds from selling the Pixel Watch. Total +£291. Early termination on my Vodafone contract is £284. Then £29.99/month vs £28 currently.

Hmmm...

Last edited:
Associate

Via ID Mobile, £249 upfront, less £255 trade-in (P7 Pro), less £85 cashback, less £200 proceeds from selling the Pixel Watch. Total +£291. Early termination on my Vodafone contract is £284. Then £29.99/month vs £28 currently.

Hmmm...
I opted to not trade in as values were lower than those easily achievable on the bay etc.

I did consider direct from Google store as trade in is higher, £365 for an iPhone 12 Vs £250 or so I'll get selling private.

But that difference doesn't make it cheaper than the iD deal I've gone for overall.

Caporegime

Hmmm...

Sell the p7 pro. You'll get £400 easily for it.

Also be aware that it'll increase each April. Cpi+3.4%.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple have always done it because they know their customers will always buy the latest and greatest on release regardless.....It's a status product and they know it. I feel that other companies are now jumping on the bandwagon of doing very little because they think they can also get away with it.

I had a Poco F3 before, it charged significantly faster, the battery life was brilliant on it, it was just as quick as the Pixel, had an ultrasonic finger print reader on the power button that was instant and overall it felt nicer to use because it didn't have a hallow screen design, all on something that cost £350....

Look at the Pixel Watch....24h battery life, everybody moaned about the battery life, it's the one thing they needed to fix.....didn't bother. There are watches out there with the same feature set getting close to a week.....Why didn't they improve it?

They will only innovate when they're forced too, ie, when sales slow down and people stop pre-ordering the same stuff every year :D

I love my pixel 7 pro and the watch but yeah, they were just lazy....

I disagree. You summed apple up well, but not Google... by calling them lazy you miss their point.

Google have said for the last few years they are AI first or AI focused.

They have never gone all out hardware, it's a combo of hardware and software and which more and more is technically non android and now proprietary to the pixel range.

If you looking for spec then maybe the Samsungs are the way to go.

Associate
For those who are looking to sell the watch on, what kind of price are you hoping to see?

Tempted to upgrade my 5 for the 8 Pro, just trying to work the sums!

Caporegime
For those who are looking to sell the watch on, what kind of price are you hoping to see?

Tempted to upgrade my 5 for the 8 Pro, just trying to work the sums!

I think you'll see £200. Market will be flooded. People already trying to sell them on ebay!

Associate
I think you'll see £200. Market will be flooded. People already trying to sell them on ebay!

I wouldn't expect any more than £150 then anything extra is just a nice bonus

Thanks

Around £200 was my gut feeling, but just like the free Bose headphones i got with my 5, i expect that after the initial sales the demand and price will drop

Such a shame that this is the state of 'new' releases now. Very little worth upgrading for if you have a 7 Pro. Struggling to see what hardware changes are worth having on the watch as well, same poor battery life, seems like that would be the first thing to fix on the second gen....Google have been very lazy this last year!

On the other hand though, it saves me money and FOMO :D

It really isn't in a bad state. Contracts have been 2 years for a reason. Upgrade cycles should be every 2 years if not 3. And then you'll see upgrades worthy. Going from a 7pro to an 8 is just silly imo.

apart from 0-120hz screen diff, and wide 48mpix camera, any other differnces Ive missed between 8 and pro ?
pro looks big...but then that blue is nice...cant decide

Also iirc, the video boost is pro only, which is a shame as it looks great.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone used the trade in via Google store? When do you have to send your phone and how has the experience been?

Edit: Within 30 days of receiving the new device it seems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom