Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Pretty useless face unlock in dim conditions and fingerprint reader not great either.
But phone to use feels good and responsive.

Yep, the fingerprint unlock is probably worse than my poco f2!

In fairness it is fast,but the sensor seems small so it's quite precise.

Last edited:
I'm on the opposite end here regarding the finger print scanner on the P8.
Seems to work flawless for me. My P5 for was a pain in the rear end! The only thing I disliked about it!
I have read that some people's finger prints just don't work well with the types of sensors under panels.

I have massive hands and had no issues with fingerprint unlock. Way better than my experience with pixel 6
Much better than 6

Getting used to bigger screen again and not sure of stock keyboard... But not making many typos so far...

HSBC bank app uses face unlock but you need to press confirm on screen

Had a bit of a play with my pro now and I'm really impressed so far.

Camera seems really good coming from a P6. Need to test this some more but the AI features have already thrown out some epic pictures that have gone into insta fine.

Face is unlocking my nationwide banking app fine, fingerprint reader seems more snappy as well.

Whole phone feels fast, snappy and responsive. No heating issues other than initial set up.

Battery is lasting very well and I've literally not put it down since 3pm (36% still left and it was never even fully charged, wow!)

The screen, when set to full resolution is stunning.

Looking forward to getting the camera tested tomorrow.

Have my 8 pro set up, must say this is a big jump out the box quality wise compared to 6/7 Pro.

No big software bugs so far and the finger print sensor has been brilliant, on par with the ultrasonic one in my s23 Ultra.

Home screen customisation limitations still annoy me though, keeping my s23 Ultra and watch 5 pro and will see how the pixel gets on over the coming weeks .

So far very impressed apart from the screen seems hollow like it did on the 6/7 Pro.

I really wish pixel ui would integrate some of the obv good stuff from nova. the only thing I want is the ability to scroll up, the keyboard pops up and you can type in what app you want.

It's the only thing missing for me now.

Yeah gotta say, this is my first Pixel, and there seems to be some basic quality of life features missing :(

Can't change font.
Can't customise display colours (RGB or temp)
Can't remove search bar from home screen, nor the weather app.
Swipe down menu is very big and chunky.
Recents menu is not customisable, so it just shows big pages.
AOD is very cluttered with info I don't want.
Apps draw doesn't show a faded background image, just a blank background.

Shame really.

Yeah gotta say, this is my first Pixel, and there seems to be some basic quality of life features missing :(

Can't change font.
Can't customise display colours (RGB or temp)
Can't remove search bar from home screen, nor the weather app.
Swipe down menu is very big and chunky.
Recents menu is not customisable, so it just shows big pages.
AOD is very cluttered with info I don't want.
Apps draw doesn't show a faded background image, just a blank background.

Shame really.

By weather app do you mean at a glance? You can turn that off.

But yes I'm surprised at the lack of customisation there.

Got my 8 Pro yesterday, and coming from a P5 I'm really happy with it. The fingerprint scanner and face unlock are working flawlessly and the sprakers are a major upgrade from the behind screen ones on the 5. Looking forward to playing with it more over the next few days and seeing how much better the camera is.

I was using a Quad Lock case on my P5, but looking at how bulky their P8 Pro case looks Ive decided to try a Peak Design case. Ive went for the sage one, and providing its good I'll pick up thier car and bike mounts too.

All setup. Nice and clean.

Screenshot-20231013-080212.png

Screenshot-20231013-080250.png

So early impressions after 24 hours –

Good -

Feels good in the hand – Better than the 6 & 7 Pro.

Flat screen is so much better. Time to ditch the curved screen on all phones.

Screen is way brighter then the 7 Pro. 7 was pitifully dim in the sun.

Taken a few pictures & videos, all seems good. On a par with my S23 Ultra. It’s easier to take pictures now the screen is so much brighter.

Bad -

Screen still sounds hollow in the centre when you tap it.

The button placement is still wrong. Volume keys should be on the top & Power on the bottom. Makes using the the volume keys to take pictures so much easier. Google need to stop being silly & change them round.

That’s all atm.

Am I glad I traded in my Pixel 7 Pro – You bet I am.
Also coming from a 7 Pro, I agree with all the good points, not sure I really notice the hollowness of the screen. With regards button placement it's not something I'd noticed previously but do agree now you've mentioned it :cry:

I disagree with button placement. I take loads of shots in portrait so having it lower is a win.

And I can still take picks fine in landscape with choice finger placement.

Back
Top Bottom