Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Associate
Looks like LTE is only supported on EE and Voda in UK. i‘ve not owned one of these but I presume you can use the LTE watch in Wifi mode, making the Wifi only watch option redundant (if we’re given both options as freebies).

That is unless the battery drain is faster if you can’t disable LTE.

Soldato
Meh, still lacklustre battery life, I was really hoping for a better watch from google given they acquired Fitbit, but looks like your standard 1 day batter life.
1 day battery ? thats not that good...are apple watch betters in that resepct ?

i only used to have garmins in the past

might go for pro buds if there will be option for them on contract...

Associate
I notice there is no evidence of any offer on the 8 standard verison, Im sure there would be but I doubt its going to be the $350 watch 2, maybe buds with the 8 ?

Associate
OP
All these leaks and still no confirmation of base storage sizes. I'm really hoping the Pro starts at 256GB for that price hike...
I think it’s probably best to assume that the £999 will be for the 128gb with the 256 being more. I just think they’ve seen what Apple have done with their Pro line up and are happy to follow suit.

Would be great if it was 256gb though no doubt about that.

Caporegime
I think it’s probably best to assume that the £999 will be for the 128gb with the 256 being more. I just think they’ve seen what Apple have done with their Pro line up and are happy to follow suit.

Would be great if it was 256gb though no doubt about that.

£1000! Need to have some serious upgrades from pixel 7pro for people to consider it this year.

Associate
OP
£1000! Need to have some serious upgrades from pixel 7pro for people to consider it this year.
Do you say that because it’s Google? Like they haven’t earned the trust to justify charging the rumoured prices?

I’m just looking at it from the landscape of the “Pro” variant of phone. Base iPhone 15 Pro is 128gb @ £999, 256gb it’s a £100 jump and £200 jump up straight off the bat if you go for the base level 256gb Max @ £1199.

Caporegime
Do you say that because it’s Google? Like they haven’t earned the trust to justify charging the rumoured prices?

I’m just looking at it from the landscape of the “Pro” variant of phone. Base iPhone 15 Pro is 128gb @ £999, 256gb it’s a £100 jump and £200 jump up straight off the bat if you go for the base level 256gb Max @ £1199.

Pretty much really, a lot of people will see the iPhone price and the pixel price and go for an iPhone.

Also it really depends on the pixel 8 being better too. When prices are similar it'll make people look at the iPhone as an alternative.

Associate
I really hope Google don't start pushing up the prices of their phones in line with Apple. I get that they are starting to push the hardware etc and may think that the phones are every bit as good as or better than the Apple offerings but the beauty of the Google phone has always been the raw OS and the reasonable price / performance. I have been on Google phones since the early Nexus days and would like to carry on but Im never going to stump up Iphone money for a phone, its not necessary.

Associate
OP
I really hope Google don't start pushing up the prices of their phones in line with Apple. I get that they are starting to push the hardware etc and may think that the phones are every bit as good as or better than the Apple offerings but the beauty of the Google phone has always been the raw OS and the reasonable price / performance. I have been on Google phones since the early Nexus days and would like to carry on but Im never going to stump up Iphone money for a phone, its not necessary.
But then that’s why there is the regular 7 (soon to be 8) and 7a variants. You want the Pro features, you have to pay the top price.

But this is where we are with all tech really. Necessary? Absolutely not. Doesn't stop us wanting to do it though. Haha

Associate
OP
Pretty much really, a lot of people will see the iPhone price and the pixel price and go for an iPhone.

Also it really depends on the pixel 8 being better too. When prices are similar it'll make people look at the iPhone as an alternative.
Agreed, but then I think those potentially willing to swap platforms (me) are few and far between these days. My wife would never switch from an iPhone at this point as an example even if a Pixel 8 was fundamentally better in every category than the iPhone.

Associate
As things stand, I'll wait for the 8 release, see if there is any compelling reason to buy the 8 (factoring in resale value of the free gift you get) vs the 7. If the value proposition isn't there I'll jump on a 7 when it occasionally drops below £400. Did I see somewhere the 8 will get extended support or did I just make that up ?

Associate
I got a Pixel 7a for 'hold for me', 'call screening', OS and security updates. Haven't received a scam call to try screening, but hold for me didn't work, and I just found out that it's US and Canada only. Now I hear the Pixel 8 is getting 7 years of updates, and they're dropping the dumb dual-Cortex X1 design causing the overheating for a more sensible single Cortex X3.

I'm disappointed. What other features are banned in the UK? I can't save live captions, and call-recording from my old phone is gone. I feel I only got half the phone promised. I'm mercenary when it comes to phones, so I'll even switch to Apple if they fix their fundamental issues, which they seem to be inching towards with iPhones promised call screening and side loading apps.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with Google bringing price parity with Apple, is that Apple never discounts its phones (ever). So you'll lose little when moving on an iPhone.

With Google, there are constant Pixel promotions and price reductions, which leads to severe depreciation on the handsets.

Back
Top Bottom