Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Soldato
Just did a gym session then decided to get in the hot tub. After about 20 mins I felt my phone vibrate as a msg came in. At that point the penny dropped that the phone was in the hot tub with me In my gym shorts ..seems ok so far :(
When my p6 went into a hot tub it started to fail in the days after.

Seems the chlorine loves to eat the waterproof seals.

Hopefully you are ok!

Soldato
Water damage won't be covered by warranty anyway. IP ratings don't mean that you should deliberately put them in water.

You want something with an ISO rating if you want to go swimming for example.

I had an IP68 watch that eventually failed. I opened it up afterwards, and realised ignoring water was the mistake. It had become corroded inside until it ultimately failed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Water damage won't be covered by warranty anyway. IP ratings don't mean that you should deliberately put them in water.

You want something with an ISO rating if you want to go swimming for example.

I had an IP68 watch that eventually failed. I opened it up afterwards, and realised ignoring water was the mistake. It had become corroded inside until it ultimately failed.

"Google Pixel 8 can withstand submersion in fresh water at a maximum depth of 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes"

so technically it should be, but as i mentioned before, Google send you a new one if you buy direct from them, you return the old one and never hear back. so not an issue they just send it to a 3rd party to get refurbed with whatever needs refurbing.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Google Pixel 8 can withstand submersion in fresh water at a maximum depth of 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes"

so technically it should be, but as i mentioned before, Google send you a new one if you buy direct from them, you return the old one and never hear back. so not an issue they just send it to a 3rd party to get refurbed with whatever needs refurbing.

Good luck with that.

Their warranty does not cover if any water indicator inside is triggered, then it means you did something which penetrated the seals. You can claim all day, you didn't, but they'll go off the indicators.

edit:

Here is a simple example of someone complaining. IP68 is at best okay for rain and very short exposure. If you want to go swimming or sit in a hot tub, then you need a genuine certification designed for submersion. IP ratings are simply about resistance.

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-note/defective-water-resistance/td-p/11271901

These are the ratings before tech companies got involved. To Apple's credit it does use these (and says only 2 series and above, which is 50m waterproof, can be used for submersion).

Last edited:
Soldato
Good luck with that.

Their warranty does not cover if any water indicator inside is triggered, then it means you did something which penetrated the seals. You can claim all day, you didn't, but they'll go off the indicators.

edit:

Here is a simple example of someone complaining. IP68 is at best okay for rain and very short exposure. If you want to go swimming or sit in a hot tub, then you need a genuine certification designed for submersion. IP ratings are simply about resistance.

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-note/defective-water-resistance/td-p/11271901

These are the ratings before tech companies got involved. To Apple's credit it does use these (and says only 2 series and above, which is 50m waterproof, can be used for submersion).

As said a few times.

Google send you a new one if you buy direct from them, you return the old one and never hear back. so not an issue they just send it to a 3rd party to get refurbed with whatever needs refurbing.

Failing that I would use my phone insurance that I get with my bank account

It's working fine for now anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
As said a few times.

Google send you a new one if you buy direct from them, you return the old one and never hear back. so not an issue they just send it to a 3rd party to get refurbed with whatever needs refurbing.

Failing that I would use my phone insurance that I get with my bank account

It's working fine for now anyway.

Nice deal, you should buy smashed phones and do this trick. They will put a hold on your card, thats how they do it.

Apple do the exact same thing. But they won't allow water damage (all their recent phones are IP68).

Same for Google, they just aren't as upfront about it.

Last edited:
Soldato

I know you probably wont have an issue but "technically" the info you posted is incorrect.

Fresh Water is not chlorinated water.... The waterproofing doesn't cover swimming in chlorinated or salt water (the sea).... Swimming in a lake/loch would be ok. Its the chemicals/salt that are the issue, not the water itself.

EDIT - This isn't a dig at you, just info for others that may not realise.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know you probably wont have an issue but "technically" the info you posted is incorrect.

Fresh Water is not chlorinated water.... The waterproofing doesn't cover swimming in chlorinated or salt water (the sea).... Swimming in a lake/loch would be ok. Its the chemicals/salt that are the issue, not the water itself.

EDIT - This isn't a dig at you, just info for others that may not realise.
Bang on, I dropped my phone in the bath before and no problems. Took a dive in the hot tub and it failed.

IP ratings are controlled tests in fresh water only, doesn't take into account water pressure or covers for chlorine/salt.

Back
Top Bottom