Google Pixel 9 Series (9/9 Pro/9 Pro XL/9 Pro Fold & Pixel Watch 3)

Very similar to the offer I've just taken with O2. Only difference being that they give you the trade in value back as credit against monthly payments, whereas you get £26/month.

I'm very tempted by the Fold as I've been itching to try one out but the battery life really concerns me. The Fold has a smaller battery than the regular 9's yet it's driving essentially 3 times the screen power as the slab versions :(

Reviews are a bit of a mixed bag, this is worrying from tech radar.

That doesn’t mean the Pixel 9 Pro is perfect. The phone has heat issues, which is worrisome considering the Pixel line’s questionable history with overheating. My Pixel 9 Pro warned me that it was overheating on a fairly mild, sunny day, and it got so hot while taking pictures that it insisted on reducing my photo resolution.

I was also left unimpressed by the meager performance of the Tensor G4 chipset. Like me at the end of a long day of rollercoasters and cotton candy, the Tensor G4 could be sluggish and unresponsive, and I don’t just mean the AI features. Running a bunch of apps all at once could cause delays longer than the line for Splash… okay, you get it.

Will have to watch some longer term reviews before committing to this one.

My 8 pro hasn't experienced any but I remember 7 pro having these issues , such a shame. If they put a snap dragon in this would be the best phone in the market .

Full review https://www.techradar.com/phones/google-pixel-phones/google-pixel-9-pro-review

Last edited:
Other reviews I saw mentioned heat being better than the Pixel 8 series at least. Not the greatest performer but they mentioned it does feel snappier in the right places.

... But what I've noticed so far is the emphasis on the AI features. While a couple do look handy, I just end up skipping those parts of the reviews.

I've heard really good things from people testing it at work, though I imagine my usage profile would be far more limited at home.

I'm definitely interested in checking it out, but as mentioned before I woudn't pay £20 for cloud storage, Youtube and Gemini combined, let alone each.

Watching Marques Brownlee's video it would seems the new chip and extra RAM are mainly for the benefit of the the new AI. I like his reviews as he tells it like it is, Also it confirmed for me that the Pixel 10 is most likely the next upgrade for me as I don't really care for the AI hype :D
The phones do look smart though, I like the square edges.

Looks like unless you're bothered about the AI (which lets be be honest, could easily run on the Pixel 8s and probably the 7s if Google removed the software lock) then it's a pointless upgrade for anyone already on the 8 series phones and a "meh" minor upgrade for anyone with a Pixel 7.

I'm still tempted by the Fold just to try out but I think next gen will probably be the one to go for with Google jumping to TSMC.

Having said that, it'll be first gen Google TSMC, so probably massively hyped but in reality not much better for a few more years....

Looks like unless you're bothered about the AI (which lets be be honest, could easily run on the Pixel 8s and probably the 7s if Google removed the software lock) then it's a pointless upgrade for anyone already on the 8 series phones and a "meh" minor upgrade for anyone with a Pixel 7.

I'm still tempted by the Fold just to try out but I think next gen will probably be the one to go for with Google jumping to TSMC.

Having said that, it'll be first gen Google TSMC, so probably massively hyped but in reality not much better for a few more years....

nah its worth it for a decent fingerprint scanner :D

i think this is the case for most phones over the last 4 years, we have reached a polished platform and upgrades are marginal

Reviews are a bit of a mixed bag, this is worrying from tech radar.

That doesn’t mean the Pixel 9 Pro is perfect. The phone has heat issues, which is worrisome considering the Pixel line’s questionable history with overheating. My Pixel 9 Pro warned me that it was overheating on a fairly mild, sunny day, and it got so hot while taking pictures that it insisted on reducing my photo resolution.

I was also left unimpressed by the meager performance of the Tensor G4 chipset. Like me at the end of a long day of rollercoasters and cotton candy, the Tensor G4 could be sluggish and unresponsive, and I don’t just mean the AI features. Running a bunch of apps all at once could cause delays longer than the line for Splash… okay, you get it.

Will have to watch some longer term reviews before committing to this one.

My 8 pro hasn't experienced any but I remember 7 pro having these issues , such a shame. If they put a snap dragon in this would be the best phone in the market .

Full review https://www.techradar.com/phones/google-pixel-phones/google-pixel-9-pro-review
Do you still have your Galaxy S24 Ultra?

That's how I feel. I will wait till next gen and go for food type device. I do like the look of it and the fact you can have a decent screen space to do more productive tasks.

Well I decided to bite the bullet for the Fold. I'm upgrading from the 6 Pro so I feel it's good enough to upgrade, plus I've been wanting to jump to a foldable for a long while now.

Reviews and hands on from early receivers mention the modem is significantly better, especially from Americans where I saw the loudest complaints, seems to hold the signal better with less battery drain. Will be going on holiday in a couple of months so hopefully I'll see an improvement too.

Back
Top Bottom