Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Soldato
Though I have a Nexus 6P rather than a Pixel I flat out refused the buy the S7E due to how poor it was to hold. It's all looks over ergonomics, and though I've not tried it myself yet, the S8 looks far worse and impossible to use one-handed with the silly thin bottom bezel combined with the edge. The utterly retarded position of the fingerprint scanner next to the camera, confirmed in reviews, wouldn't be a complete deal breaker for me, but combined with the screen is enough for me to say no to the S8, irrespective of price.

I don't mind attractive phones of course - on the contrary - but at least consider ergonomics Samsung.

Stock Android would be the other killer (and in keeping the N6P the front-facing speakers). The only thing I'd personally miss that's on the S7/S8 that's not on either my 6P or the Pixels is wireless charging.
Thanks for the reply :) I'm going to pop into a shop on Saturday to have another play with both the S8 and the Pixel.

The contract I've seen thus far is with EE, 3GB data, £75 up front and £30.99. How does this sound to everyone else who has this phone?

Soldato
I was in the same position this week, Pixel or S8

Pixel won for me personally

Made by Google (fast updates, phone designed for google apps)
No doubling up on apps (eg: Google Photos and Samsung Gallery) < pet hate of mine
On the above point, Bixby??? I mean come on, just use google assistant ffs!

Unlimited full size photo uploads
Much more compact than the s8 (even the smaller one is a giant)
The s8 has the same camera as the s7, so I assume the Pixel has the better camera?

The pixel will get android 8 this year, the s8......god only knows (2018 if your lucky lol)

So obviously the stuff making you think about the s8 will be the snapdragon 835 and the inifinity display. To be honest, as nice as that is, I'd still get the Pixel and then trade it in when the Pixel 2 launches.

Last edited:
Soldato
S8 looks nice but i had a few concerns using it one handed and the software is not my cup of tea. They make an app for almost everything that already exists in android. .... Crazy !

You should watch mkhd latest video "dear Samsung"

Soldato
I was in the same position this week, Pixel or S8

Pixel won for me personally

Made by Google (fast updates, phone designed for google apps)
No doubling up on apps (eg: Google Photos and Samsung Gallery) < pet hate of mine
On the above point, Bixby??? I mean come on, just use google assistant ffs!

Unlimited full size photo uploads
Much more compact than the s8 (even the smaller one is a giant)
The s8 has the same camera as the s7, so I assume the Pixel has the better camera?

The pixel will get android 8 this year, the s8......god only knows (2018 if your lucky lol)

So obviously the stuff making you think about the s8 will be the snapdragon 835 and the inifinity display. To be honest, as nice as that is, I'd still get the Pixel and then trade it in when the Pixel 2 launches.
Thanks for your reply :)

I'll have another go on Saturday and will likely decide to either keep my z3c or to switch. I'm not sure whether it's just a gadget which I don't really need... :D

Soldato
S8 looks nice but i had a few concerns using it one handed and the software is not my cup of tea. They make an app for almost everything that already exists in android. .... Crazy !

You should watch mkhd latest video "dear Samsung"

This is exactly how i feel. I really wish Samsung, along with most of the other phone manufacturer's, would just stick with stock android and stop trying to develop their own apps/ecosystem when Google already have something better than what they'll be able to offer.

As a Nexus 5x owner I'm going to wait for the next Google pixel before upgrading. Hopefully Google/HTC can offer hardware on a par with what Samsung have.

Soldato
Yeah, the only reason I can come up with is that they are trying to distance themselves from the competition in order to generate extra sales. In reality, if they are confident with their design and hardware then pure android is the way to go. When I say pure android, I obviously mean with the google apps embedded in. That said, Pixels aren't actually pure android. Google have their own take on it (ala Pixel launcher, live wallpapers etc etc).

The only thing I don't like are the bean emoticons. I wish they would use the ones Apple/Samsung/Whatsapp use

Soldato
The only thing I don't like are the bean emoticons. I wish they would use the ones Apple/Samsung/Whatsapp use
This is something that still confuses me with android, as surely they'd just use the emoji which are used universally and look the best and have great updates.

The idea of the Pixel 2 is bugging me today(!), I don't think I'll pay attention to myself though. I love the look of the pixel with a marble effect Dbrand skin on so I think that'll be the way I go if/when I get mine.

Associate
how much easier and cheaper if would be for them to make it stock.

S8 with stock would be sweeeet

instead of google spending time making terrible apps that do the same job, the dreadful laggy pixel launcher, a new bug filled android version every year, monthly updates that are so bug ridden they get pulled off the nexus range and pixel range and have to be replaced they should instead enforce a policy where OEMs have to supply a google play edition of their phones, either to sell on google store or firmware to download from oem websites

that way you can have a stock galaxy s8 but without the samsung bloat or the even more inferior google bloat such as the camera app or chrome

Soldato
So I bought a Pixel yesterday, and so far I'm very happy. I'm going to run it with a rear skin but no case this time. Time will tell whether I regret this decision or not!

I spent a long time staring from the Pixel to the S8 but in the end it was the height and touchwiz of the S8 which made me go for the Pixel. It does look bloody good though!

Permabanned
This is exactly how i feel. I really wish Samsung, along with most of the other phone manufacturer's, would just stick with stock android and stop trying to develop their own apps/ecosystem when Google already have something better than what they'll be able to offer.

As a Nexus 5x owner I'm going to wait for the next Google pixel before upgrading. Hopefully Google/HTC can offer hardware on a par with what Samsung have.

Your comment about wishing Samsung stuck with stock Android seems like it predicted the future! You may have seen today that Samsung has been forced to delay the introduction of Bixby, its voice assistant (ie, their attempt to compete with Google Assistant which comes front and centre on the Samsung S8 homescreen anyway!) when the S8 launches in the US on 21 April. Not a good start. Samsung hopes to introduce Bixby Voice in a few months time.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/15266028/samsung-galaxy-s8-bixby-assistant-launch-voice-support

This seems to indicate that Samsung is far behind Google when it comes to Artificial Intelligence based software. The reason given for the delay is that its voice assistant was developed for the Korean language first and only then adopted for non-Korean speakers, the vast majority of Samsung users! The accurate conversion of voice to text is a relatively low bar these days but Samsung has been unable to clear it. So Samsung Bixby Voice will be unusable to start and Samsung Dex, another software feature it developed is not useful. Samsung continues to rely on its excellent hardware including screen and camera and components to set it apart, but not its software.

As far as the next Pixel is concerned, there are rumours around that Google will again be working with HTC but is considering a significant investment in LG Display, the Korean manufacturer, to boost its ability to obtain the highest quality OLED screens for the next Pixel, due out in late October/early November. This should help them reach your objective of excellent hardware (although I am very impressed with the hardware on my Pixel XL).

Man of Honour
So I bought a Pixel yesterday, and so far I'm very happy. I'm going to run it with a rear skin but no case this time. Time will tell whether I regret this decision or not!

I spent a long time staring from the Pixel to the S8 but in the end it was the height and touchwiz of the S8 which made me go for the Pixel. It does look bloody good though!
I've gone for a big case - spigen - whilst I love the phone without it, I just don't want to risk it despite having insurance.

I really do love my pixel - it is perfect. Except for the pixel 2 :p

Soldato
I've gone for a big case - spigen - whilst I love the phone without it, I just don't want to risk it despite having insurance.

I really do love my pixel - it is perfect. Except for the pixel 2 :p

Any chance of a picture of the phone in its case? I've ordered an XL today so I'm in the market for a decent case as the next job.

Thanks - CN

Back
Top Bottom