Google Wallet

Soldato
Hi guys,

For the last month or so, I've had to unlock (biometrics/pin) my phone for every transaction I try to make with my phone... It used to be random, probably 1 in 5/6, but now it's every time. I've always been able to pay with just a woken (locked) screen.

Has Wallet had an update or something? I can't see anything in the app settings?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do it turns out Google have indeed changed the verification requirements. Essentialy you need to have unlocked the device relatively recently, if not you will be prompted before you can make a payment.

It's also worth noting they have added a setting to override this for transport payments.

I've never been able to use NFC to pay with my android phone without having the phone unlocked. This has been the case for years, ever since I started using NFC.

my most recent android was a Fold5 and that had to be unlocked to use wallet, could be on the lock screen but had to be unlocked.

Never would it let me pay without unlocking.

I wouldn't want my phone to be able to pay locked anyway. Was that really ever a thing!?
Yep. And I got my pixel 8 pro when it was released, the NFC range on the phone was so strong, I'd be paying for things almost just instantly after pulling the phone out my pocket.

Luckily they seemed to fix that a while back.

I wouldn't want my phone to be able to pay locked anyway. Was that really ever a thing!?

Yep used to be the default option. I too switched it off as doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to pay with a locked phone - especially now the contactless limit has increased.

Reactions: KIA
Another setting to check, is in the phone settings. Steps will be different for other phones but for Pixels, it's Phone settings -> Connected devices -> Connection preferences -> NFC. There's a Require device unlock for NFC setting. Can't remember the default but I have it on since I wouldn't feel safe if the phone randomly paid for something while it's locked.

Mine requires fingerprint verification on every transaction now.

Been through all settings across NFC and Google wallet. Only positive confirmation was....

In wallet settings > transit payments is this disclaimer on mine covering all transactions.

So it's card provider set.

Screenshot-20240901-202904.png

Reactions: KIA
Back
Top Bottom