GoPro Hero 8 Black wishlist?

Soldato
- a decent app. Take a leaf out of DJI’s book.
- longitudinal form factor. The current dimensions are lousy for many helmet mounts.
- integrated microphone capability, not an equally sized lack box stuck on the side.
- Bluetooth microphone capability. People have been asking for this since around GoPro 4.
- improved stabilisation, to try and better that currently offered by the DJI Osmo Action
- 120 FPS at 4K

What I do not want to see

- 8K. Seriously, it is too early, the image quality will be poor, battery life will plummet and it’ll overheat
- more essential ‘accessories’ that you need to buy. Same with DJI. No adaptors to just be able to use another microphone

I hope DJI’s Osmo Action has given GoPro a royal kick up the arse. They’ve dominated the market for too long and took their eye off the ball with their failed drone project, and abandoned a new audience they’d created by cancelled the Session range. I’ve used them for years, and took no small amount of pleasure in switching to the Osmo Action when it was announced. Far from perfect itself, it still beats the GoPro 7 on balance which is astonishing really - their first effort beating or matching the market leader.

GoPro need to do better.

Soldato
OP
A decent app would be okay as long as it is still compatible with the GoPro Hero 7 Black. I dread to think how long it would take to render 120fps 4k even on my rig, which is pretty good. I wouldn't complain about better image stabilisation either, but it is low light performance I am interested in.

I agree with the 8k comment. I'm only just now getting all my gear to work at 4k 60fps. I've never used the DJO Osmo Action so can't comment on that. I did buy a selfie stick for my GoPro so that when the new one comes out, I can use the GoPro Hero 7 Black to record my face.

Soldato
OP
The main reason I went with the GoPro in the first place was all of the accessories that were available for it. I really hope the GoPro 8 keeps compatibility with them. Especially batteries as I'll probably buy some more if I upgrade.

Soldato
I'm quite happy with my Osmo Action. I doubt GoPro could do anything that would make me switch. Perhaps if they implemented the front facing screen and added a 3.5mm mic input, I would consider it. It's very annoying I can't use 3rd party mics on the Osmo at the moment.

Soldato
OP
For me, I'd want a physical switch to replace the current record push button from which you can tell by touch whether it's set to record or not. I'm sick of pressing it when it's mounted on hat or something and you're never sure if it's going or not.

That would be cool. But I'm used to using the mobile phone app to test for something like that. I really would like better low light performance.

Soldato
Tbf, a GoPro isn't really designed for low light situations. It's one of the smallest cameras you can get. Surely they are for high frame rate, high action stuff and attaching to things you wouldn't be able to attach bigger cameras too. For better low light, get a bigger camera surely?

Back
Top Bottom