Got new OLED TV (LG C8). What's FIRST thing I should watch???

Soldato
Been wanting to dive into OLED for the last few years but there were too many shortcomings. I think 2018 has finally delivered some sets that are just about there.

After loads of agonising research I've gone for the LG C8 55, which will be the best 'all rounder' for my wants - in no order - gaming, HD broadcast TV, Netflix, Amazon etc etc.

So then, I've not set it up yet, and as an OLED virgin, what's the first thing I should watch to validate my purchase!?

Soldato
OP
Not got a 4K player yet so no Uhd discs.
Also, slight sticking point but my max internet connection at the moment is about 12mbps, consistent (I'm semi rural and am using a slow ADSL connect with boosty for ADSL 4g bonding). I really want to be able to do the full 4K HDR streaming so am hopefully going to switch to a new 5ghz wireless provider that's set up in our area this year!

If I set the TV up tomorrow, as planned, then I won't be able to stream in 4K I don't think. Need at least 15mbps steady connection from what I've discovered. That about right?
Netflix recommend 25mbps for 4K HDR streaming - is that really what you need? Would 20mbps be ok? The package I'm looking to get for this new 5ghz wireless internet is 'up to' 25mbps, so not a lot of wiggle room...

Soldato
OP
^ read my second post fella, looking to upgrade to 5ghz wireless broadband soon, if I need to.

Cheers for the suggestions so far folks, will check them out.

Does anyone know what 'real world' download speed you need for Netflix and Amazon video for 4K HDR? Netflix recommend 25mbps but I've seen others mention that Netflix only streams at about 15mbps for most 4k stuff....

The wireless broadband packages I can get are £30/month for up to 25Mbps, or £45/month for up to 40Mbps (both unlimited usage, and no land line costs obvioulsy, so will actually be cheaper than my current ADSL and boosty with Three 4G setup)

Obviously I want to go with the cheaper option, just hoping 25Mbps is enough?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It sounds like he's getting a wireless provider, such as Relish, so distance to the exchange doesn't matter and those services can be OK for anything other than twitch gaming. Still, if the maximum is 25Mbps, I would assume it is going to consistently fall short.

Correct. Im now considering going with a wireless provider, like relish. Called STIX. Their lowest monthly price provides 25Mbps. They have faster speeds on offer, but for more money obviously.

Fibre not available where I am, which is why I’ve been using Standard Adsl and BOOSTY 4g bonding, which nets me about 12Mbps on average.

Thought I’d explained all this.

Anyway thanks for the further suggestions. Have checked out some and even at ‘only’ 1080p some stuff on Netflix and amazon looks amazing. Particularly with hdr too. Jack Ryan on amazon looks particularly good, uses Dolby vision also.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tested gaming on it today for the first time. Jesus Christ - this is what I'm talking about! Fired up Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 pro. The sumptuous black levels and the HDR, plus the new dynamic tone mapping feature on the LG C8 are breathtakingly good.

I'm just worried now that gaming on my PC is going to feel somewhat washed out, and I thought my x34 superwide was the king of screens. As primarily a PC gamer, this puts me in trouble a bit ;) Damn you OLED.

I must say though, either I need my eyes testing (which is a possibility), but the '4k thing' isn't wowing me yet at all, no where near as much as the general OLED and HDR business.
I know most ps4 pro games aren't 'true' 4k, but in HZD switching between performance mode (1080p I believe) and the full res version, I really can't tell that much difference. I'm sat about 8-9 feet away, and the screen is only 55", but even moving to within 4 feet or so, I couldn't tell a huge difference.

Is the C8 that good at upscaling, or are my eyes ******? I guess I'm used to sitting 2 feet from my PC screen...

Soldato
OP
gotta be stupidest thread i've ever seen on here.

watch whatever you want to watch surely?

as in if i was to ask. just bought a frying pan. what should i cook in it? the answer would be whatever i want to eat. there is no point in me cooking a steak if i don't like steak.

oh OP you should go watch eastenders and coronation street. top it off with jeremy kyle and judge rinder.

Do you think, just possibly, I might have been asking what footage is out there (given the huge variety of sources and quality), that - for the FIRST time I see it - will BEST fully showcase the technical abilities of an oled screen, that’s 4k and has various implementations of hdr? Considering I’ve upgraded from a 5 year old 1080p led tv. Hmm?

Cretin.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
^ if you genuinely can’t grasp the simple concept of what I’m asking, I suspect underthinking might be something you excel at.

Anyway, back on topic. Turns out lots of the suggestions so far are great, and, shock horror, are actually things I’d like to watch. A good chunk of the 4k hdr sections on Netflix and amazon have some decent stuff.

As said, the biggest impression made on me so far is the general contrast and true blacks of oled, and hdr.
Anything with Dolby vision looks utterly lovely. Hdr10 also great but not quite as impressive.

See, this is why I was asking for recommendations as hdr use and variety in content out there is inconsistent, and even finding stuff isn’t always obvious.

Jack Ryan on amazon for example. If you search for it it only shows up the sdr 1080p version. You have to tiresomely find the 4k hdr section manually, buried way down in the menus that you could easily miss and play it from there. And it looks superb in Dolby vision. And is something I want to watch. Understand!?

Also, this is a sub forum of a pc hardware enthusiast website. You don’t think it’s full of blokes that want to put their new piece of hardware through its paces and see what it can really do?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In my testing the Netflix app maxes out at just over 15MB for 4K content. That's on a Virgin Media 350MB connection.

It used to average around 25mbps which what they recommended several years ago, since they reworked the compression ratio 4k now maxes at 15.26mbps.

Thanks for confirming that, tallies with what I've read elsewhere but the info is sketchy at best.

I've signed up with the 5Ghz wireless provider I was talking about, they are coming to install a mini dish receiver etc this weekend. They assure me that they hit their promised speeds 99% of the time and upgrade capacity as necessary, so their cheapest 25Mbps package should be fine for my needs. It's a rolling monthly payment system (no contract) so if they're **** I'll sack it and have to think again.

Interestingly my current set up (basic ADSL and Boosty 4G bonding) can hit 1440p at 6Mbps at times in Netflix (checking the info stats using the LG ios app. V annoying there's no info button on the remote!). However, it doesn't maintain it consistently and drops back to 1080p at 4.3 - 5.4Mbps mostly. My connection can easily do 6Mbps so I wonder why it doesn't stick? Buffer/ headroom issues? 'Boosty' is very inconsistent and tends to operate in 'bursts', so it's probably that as my max ADSL speed on its own is only 4Mbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you don't know how to work the app then.

i can find the 4k section on my LG 4k HDR tv on the amazon app within 5 seconds.

it's also as simple as finding that section and then finding stuff you like within the very small list that it is.

but you know some people need the internet to hold their hand through the simplest of things. even a 8 year old can work the app.

same goes for netflix. all you need to do is type 4k into the search and all the 4k content appears. amazing as if it's magic.

Are you on your period?

Soldato
OP
I don't post much on the forums these days, so not had the pleasure of 'conversing' with the individual before.

I was genuinely wandering if he has Asperger's syndrome or something. The tone of his input and blinkered dogmatic thinking....

Or maybe he's just a ****? Probably the latter. Can't stand people that wade into discussion threads and try to de-rail them like this. Would they go up to a group of strangers in a pub talking about football and shout "but I don't like football! Why are you discussing the merits of the 4-4-2 formation!? This information - though why you would want to discuss it is beyond me - could be found by simply googling it!"

No, of course they wouldn't. It's an interesting psychology though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom