Got old got fat, was time to change

Soldato
So this one is a little late as I started at the end of September. Split up with my long term girlfriend, and at the age of 36, decided I really needed to change.

At 5ft 10, I was weighing in at just over 14.5 stone, I took the drastic step of doing a water fast, as the breakup effected my appetite I was surprised how easy this was. I lasted 10 days, with another 5-7 days slowly building my intake back up (few days of juice, then fruit, then salad ext)

This has a huge impact on my weight, dropping me down to around 12 stone. And of course after this my appetite was greatly reduced as well as my portion size. Next followed a more strict diet than I have followed before, first thing was the eating of breakfast, something I haven't done since I was a child, this is usually porridge with a mix of skimmed milk and water, then just simple clean food for lunch / supper. Also all alcohol was cut out (was maybe drinking 5 nights a week beforehand)

After a couple of weeks of upping my food portions I leveled out at around 11.5 stone. (Start of November) Next step was to hit the gym.

I made the decision to solely concentrate on cardio, while I'm aware of the benefits of weight training for fat loss, i wanted to increase my general fitness as a starting point. So 4-5 nights a week after work, I would be on the treadmill and bike.

It was a struggle at first, but now I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently doing a 5 mile run (I set the treadmill to about 12kph) then I hit the bike on a rolling hills setting for 30mins.

I'm now down to 11 stone dead, I've lost 4 inches off my waist, and 6 inches off my chest (I had the old man boobs!) I've started back playing squash and also enjoying lightsaber academy.

My next step is to hit the free weights, I followed GordyR's sticky many years ago and saw good gains, (I could not close grip bench the Olympic bar when I started!!!!) This will be what I'll probably return to.

I don't have a picture of me at my heaviest, but this was me just after the fast, and me now.

I look forward to posting future gains.

IMG_20161203_095511_zpsjfmsm1xa.jpg

Caporegime
You've already made great progress and you appear to have the right attitude as well as the dedication to continue to improve yourself. I have no doubt this log will become epic over time :)

Good luck dude.

Soldato
OP
Thought I would update this. So another month passed (well more than that but the update pic is from the 3rd) I was pleased with how December went, given my hectic work load (14+ hour days with only 1 day off a week), a good bout of the Man flu! And the obvious Christmas festivities.

For my January weigh in I managed to stay at 11 stone, I've dropped a little more fat, I'm still yet to do anything other than cardio, the plan was to start in the new year, but the gym as you can imagine has been overrun by new members.

Since the January weigh in I've dropped a few lbs and am now about 10st 12. (First time I've seen 10 on a scales since I was 16!) I'm going to carry on the cardio till the 3rd of February take a progress shot, then hit the free weights (hopefully the gym will be less crazy)

Here's a quick update pic

progress_zpsebjrzda6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom