• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU @ 70% but FPS struggling...

Associate
Asked this question re. Watch Dogs Legion however assumed it was down to Ubisoft/an engine problem and annoyingly, it's happening in State of Decay 2 - CPU and GPU aren't @ 100% utilisation but FPS struggles.

In this particular scene, FPS was hovering around 46, with a max of 60 (VSYNC).

I can't capture the details with a screenshot, so have had to take a photo with game bar overlay.

CPU @ 14% (3900X and no cores are at 100%)
GPU @ 71% (3060ti)
VRAM @ 63%
RAM @ 43%

LtgG65Y.png

Why is performance struggling if nothing is @ 100%? It's slightly annoying - what could be the issue?

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Associate
OP
Okay - I've tried a couple of things and it's now at 60FPS in that particular scene.

1 - RAM XMP had switched itself off back to default, so have turned XMP back on
2 - Installed latest NVIDIA drivers (was only one behind anyway)
3 - Toggled Vsync - on and off. Hovers around 70 with no Vsync but STILL only 60% GPU usage

**Hmm, perhaps I'm a tad late to the party but does Vsync impact GPU usage?

I'm getting 60FPS - 88% GPU usage with Vsync ON
70FPS - 60% GPU usage with Vsync OFF

Interesting either way, I assumed Vsync would be more usage friendly as it would cap the FPS but obviously syncing frames takes a performance hit...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom