gpu, cpu and motherboard help

Associate
hi all!

i currently have a low end pc running a gtx 980, i5-7400 cpu and a msi h110 vd motherboard, 16gb ddr4. i am in the process of getting all the parts together for my upgrade. i have a rtx 2080ti, 750w gigabyte 80plus gold psu and all the other components ready other than my cpu and motherboard. my question is would it do any damage to my pc other than bottlenecking if i installed all my new components in my pc while still using my current cpu and motherboard until i can upgrade them, it would be ideal to sell the things im replacing to help fund my mother board and cpu.

thanks.

Shouldn't do any damage, I'd get them installed!

Could be a good idea to do it step by step though - ie swap the PSU, check it works, then swap the gpu. Should let you isolate any issues (eg cables not fully plugged in vs a dead gpu) more easily.

If you have butterfingers then I'd suggest you wait, but it won't do any damage if you do it right, no. Actually not a bad idea to test the PSU with the old rig.

awesome! thanks guys, yeah i think it'd probably be a good idea as you say to do it 1 step at at time was just a bit unsure with a 2080ti being quite a powerful card it'd be all "me powerful me smash" aha

Yes it's the p-p750gm v2 I've literally just looked at the reviews on them and about them exploding, didn't think to look before buying as I've always liked gigabytes stuff

You may want to check the serial number and see if it is a part of the bad batch. AFAIK all the dodgy ones ended up in the NA region and did not come to Europe but it is best to check.

Back
Top Bottom