GPU Monitoring - Need Script Advise

Associate
I posted on Stanford's F@H Forums, but didn't get allot of respoce. So I'll post it here as well and see if any of you all have any input:

I've installed several 9800GT's using Hyperlife's GPU2 Linux/Wine Headless Install guide. All went according to plan, no issues. The only package(s) I've installed apart from what is needed per the guide is xorg-dev, dtach, samba and then compiled NVClock 0.8 Beta-4. NVClock required gtk2+ to compile that's the only reason for the xorg-dev install, only added abuot 25MB to the build.

NVClock has allot of useful information, but it takes several query's to get it, and it only seems to do one card at a time. So, I hacked together a little scripts and I do mean hacked, bits an bobs from all sorts of scripts that I found on the web.

I'm not sure how this would all work with Multi-GPU cards, but I think NVClock counts cores, not physical cards, so may have to re-think the ouput for Multi-GPU cards.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# -- Requires NVClock 0.8 Beta-4 compiled from source
# -- Determines the number of installed Graphics Cards
# -- Chops out the CORE Temp, Board Temps, Clock Speeds, etc.

clear
for n in $(nvclock -s |grep "Card number:" |cut -d ' ' -f3|sed 's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//')
  do
  temp=$(nvclock -T -c $n)
  speed=$(nvclock -s -c $n)
  shaders=$(nvclock -i -c $n)
  model=$(nvclock -s -c $n)
  fanspeed=$(nvclock -i -c $n | grep "Fanspeed:")
  fanduty=$(nvclock -i -c $n | grep "PWM")

echo
  echo GPU Number: $n
  echo $model | cut -d ' ' -f3,4
  echo $temp | cut -d ' ' -f5-12
  echo $speed | cut -d ' ' -f8-15
  echo $shaders | cut -d ' ' -f22,25,26,27
  echo $fanspeed
  echo $fanduty

done

echo

Here's the output from the script:
Code:
GPU Number: 1
Geforce 9800GT
GPU temperature: 64C => Board temperature: 55C
Memory clock: 950.400 MHz GPU clock: 648.000 MHz
Shader Clock: 1620.000 MHz
Fanspeed: 1880 RPM
PWM duty cycle: 94.9%

GPU Number: 2
Geforce 9800GT
GPU temperature: 57C => Board temperature: 50C
Fanspeed: 1840 RPM

GPU Number: 3
Geforce 9800GT
GPU temperature: 51C => Board temperature: 44C
Fanspeed: 1863 RPM

It works, but I was lookong for a better way to do this and learn a bit of scripting along the way. If anyone has any input / suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Soldato
Are you a complete newbie to bash or can you follow what the script is doing? It's actually pretty straightforward and how I would write it if I had to. It's basically cherry picking bits of info and then outputting the data on screen. It probably looks more complicated than it is because there is a bit of formatting going in to make it more readable.

You could probably make it slightly shorter but to be honest what you see is what you get with that script and I wouldn't go to any great lengths to change it.

Associate
OP
Are you a complete newbie to bash or can you follow what the script is doing? It's actually pretty straightforward and how I would write it if I had to. It's basically cherry picking bits of info and then outputting the data on screen. It probably looks more complicated than it is because there is a bit of formatting going in to make it more readable.

You could probably make it slightly shorter but to be honest what you see is what you get with that script and I wouldn't go to any great lengths to change it.
I know exactly what's it's doing, as I wrote it all, but It doesn't scale well to additional machines and it seems to be a bit sluggish when rendering, I suppose thats the NVClock interface, but not sure.

Ultimately, I want to get one script, that can pull info from whatever machines are listed in somthing like a host file or something. lmsensors dont cover GPU's for the most part, so this was the only way I could figure our how to get GPU data on Linux headles nodes.

End goal is to have one box that can monitor everything, GPU's CPU's and Stats.

Associate
If its the nvclock command that is sluggish then you should avoid calling it so many times.
eg your speed variable and your model variable are identical and you later chop different bits out of the strings - it would have been twice as fast to just get the variable once. Same goes for the fan speeds & fanduty.

Can't you just make one call to nvclock to get all the info with --info?

Back
Top Bottom