• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
The whole overinflation is kinda frustrating at the moment. I sold off the 7750 in my HTPC a while ago now with the idea of replacing with a low profile 1050/1050TI. These are currently so expensive however they make it completely unjustifiable to do so right now, and the GTX2 series don't seem to offer any hope things will get better. I don't need the part right now, so have been waiting, but its such a pain when I should have been able to source the replacement months ago, but haven't been able due to prices being silly.

I'd happily order AMD instead, but they dont have anything at a reasonable performance to price ratio in the low profile form factor either, and I'm not paying close to £100 for a 1030!

Soldato
Dropped my 1080Ti for a Vega 64 (Strix) and for what I game on, etc I cannot fault it really.

Waiting for a Superwide monitor to arrive to make proper use of it.

Pair the 64 with a widescreen freesync monitor and you'll be laughing. I can't tell the difference between nvidia and gsync : vega and freesync, apart from how much money I've still got in my wallet thanks to freesync and amd, compared to Nvidia.

Soldato
The whole overinflation is kinda frustrating at the moment. I sold off the 7750 in my HTPC a while ago now with the idea of replacing with a low profile 1050/1050TI. These are currently so expensive however they make it completely unjustifiable to do so right now, and the GTX2 series don't seem to offer any hope things will get better. I don't need the part right now, so have been waiting, but its such a pain when I should have been able to source the replacement months ago, but haven't been able due to prices being silly.

I'd happily order AMD instead, but they dont have anything at a reasonable performance to price ratio in the low profile form factor either, and I'm not paying close to £100 for a 1030!

Low profile AMD
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr3-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-326-as.html

Or are you looking to game on the HTPC?

Associate
Pair the 64 with a widescreen freesync monitor and you'll be laughing. I can't tell the difference between nvidia and gsync : vega and freesync, apart from how much money I've still got in my wallet thanks to freesync and amd, compared to Nvidia.
That's what I was about to say. Had a 1080ti with a ROG Swift TN.

Sold them and bought a Strix Vega 56 and a Samsung Freesync 1440p VA monitor and haven't regretted it.

If I still had my 1080ti today though I would be keeping hold of it for a very long time considering what's happening in the market.

Soldato

That's what I'm doing. Though I only have a 1080 superwide atm (freesync). But it's a VA so colours etc are still good and it's 160hz :)

I think the vega64 will last me quite a few years tbh. I'll just hunker down and see what happens in the next, next gen.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yes, it's my backup machine incase anything goes wrong with my main one. If I wasn't ever going to game, I'd have left the 7750 low profile card I had in it, but that was really reaching the point where it was no good for 1080p and sometimes struggled on lower resolution, and as its connected to a 40 inch screen, looked pretty ropey at low res. 1050TI would have been an ideal replacement :)

I mean, the machine is only a Haswell i3, but paired with a 1050TI and the 8GB RAM the machine runs, it'd do OK at 1080p, certainly enough to get by on, or as a machine for a visiting friend to use, or as an interim machine should my laptop need to go in for repairs etc.

Soldato
They are quite likely tracking each other, but that doesn't have to be the case.

They could simply have an algorithm which simply tracks their own rate of sale, amount of stock, and nothing else. Card start selling fast, increase price. Why do the cards start selling fast? Well maybe their price is the lowest. The net result would be that it would appear that there's some sort of price tracking/collusion going on, but in fact it could just be that the rate of sale was too fast and this triggered an automatic increase in price.

/theorycraft

Well tracking isnt collusion although the effect is similar, collusion is doing it on some kind of agreement deliberately whilst tracking can happen without any agreement. I also agree that yes there could be scripts tracking sales and if they exceed a certain amount prices go up, which is similar to what I said if sales are healthy prices get bumped. Its sadly how the modern PC market seems to have gone.

I see in several places on the net people are cancelling RTX preorders and using the money to buy 1080ti's, its no wonder prices are going up.

I am myself considering a 1080ti now, simply because it seems DVI is abandoned on the RTX series, I have never heard of a monitor using usb-c yet that is what it is replaced with. So I see it as my only option of getting a performance jump without ditching DVI.

OcUK Staff
OK spoken with MSI, they have a deal, MSI 1080Ti Gaming (none X), so lower OC, we could hit around £650 to end user, any interest?
Deal from Asus would be Asus 1080Ti Turbo (blower cooler), around £599 to end user.

That is about it pretty much all other board partners are sold out and have no more stock left.

I've not committed to either as I know OcUK customers want crazy like £400-£500 price which I am afraid will not happen.

So any interest in the above, otherwise I shall simply pass I think.

Caporegime
OK spoken with MSI, they have a deal, MSI 1080Ti Gaming (none X), so lower OC, we could hit around £650 to end user, any interest?
Deal from Asus would be Asus 1080Ti Turbo (blower cooler), around £599 to end user.

That is about it pretty much all other board partners are sold out and have no more stock left.

I've not committed to either as I know OcUK customers want crazy like £400-£500 price which I am afraid will not happen.

Any comment on the rumour that AIBs were being forced to buy thousands of Pascal chips in order to be supplied with Turing?

I.e. the big Pascal over-stock rumour.

Soldato

I tried to find a pic of it, but there only seems to be an X model.

I am interested if the cooler is decent, ideally I want a 2.5 to 3 slot card with a beefy cooler.

Not interested in the asus blower model.

OcUK Staff
I tried to find a pic of it, but there only seems to be an X model.

I am interested if the cooler is decent, ideally I want a 2.5 to 3 slot card with a beefy cooler.

Not interested in the asus blower model.

Gaming and Gaming X are identical, on difference is clock speeds, the X version has a higher OC.

Associate
Gaming
1620 MHz / 1506 MHz (OC Mode)
1607 MHz / 1493 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1582 MHz / 1480 MHz (Silent Mode)

Gaming X
1683 MHz / 1569 MHz (OC Mode)
1657 MHz / 1544 MHz (Gaming Mode)

Pre Order for £639 elsewhere..

OcUK Staff
Gaming
1620 MHz / 1506 MHz (OC Mode)
1607 MHz / 1493 MHz (Gaming Mode)

Gaming X
1683 MHz / 1569 MHz (OC Mode)
1657 MHz / 1544 MHz (Gaming Mode)

Pre Order for £639 elsewhere..

At £639 the margin is getting slim, so probably not worth our effort taking especially as demand seems not particular there.

Soldato
so OC mode about 170mhz below my 1070 base clock but tons more cores.
Looks like a 2.5 slot card from pics, dual fans. I probably would buy at £650 but this isnt a guarantee.

If I decide to buy and you get the stock in I wont hunt down that £11 cheaper card and give OCUK my business.

I think there is demand gibbo, so many cards are sold out. Once the RTX prices hit home demand will only go up as well.

Soldato
The price that would sky rocket sales sadly gibbo doesnt seem interested :(

I just had a look, and if £70 was token of the zotac 1080ti amp it would be sold. Prices are about £70-80 too high. I think vendors and retailers working together could fix that.

Back
Top Bottom