• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices in the UK

Soldato
msrp is a suggested price, price fixing was outlawed many moons ago, although it still goes on, if you wait, prices will come, if you want to be an early adopter, then you pay the price. all i see is complaining about prices, no one forces folk to buy these cards, the world isnt going to end if you dont buy one. play the waiting game and prices will return to normal.
cant blame a company for higher prices. myself am willing to wait, plus cant realy afford 700 quid anyway

Associate
msrp is a suggested price, price fixing was outlawed many moons ago, although it still goes on, if you wait, prices will come, if you want to be an early adopter, then you pay the price. all i see is complaining about prices, no one forces folk to buy these cards, the world isnt going to end if you dont buy one. play the waiting game and prices will return to normal.
cant blame a company for higher prices. myself am willing to wait, plus cant realy afford 700 quid anyway

Yeah, it's legal. It's also totally unethical. I can blame them all I like for their greed.

Associate
Yeah, it's legal. It's also totally unethical. I can blame them all I like for their greed.

Agreed, I can blame them for moving the prices around with zero justification, even if it's legal, it's not like OCUK contributed to the design and development of the hardware or software.

I'm also quite happy to wait until the prices normalise back around their MSRP as a point of principle, even if it means not getting pretty ray tracing for a while longer.

Soldato
so is pretty much every busines, its nature of the beast, business isnt run to break even, a business is there to make money. the price fixing argument doesnt work either, i remember price fixing many moons ago, it didnt work and manufacurers were accused of inflating prices, which they were, hence it was outlawed, though as above it stil goes on. its simple economics is people dont buy a product for a price, then that price comes down, the people to blame are those paying these prices.
prices always go up if demand outstrips suppy in most things

Soldato
so is pretty much every busines, its nature of the beast, business isnt run to break even, a business is there to make money. the price fixing argument doesnt work either, i remember price fixing many moons ago, it didnt work and manufacurers were accused of inflating prices, which they were, hence it was outlawed, though as above it stil goes on. its simple economics is people dont buy a product for a price, then that price comes down, the people to blame are those paying these prices.
prices always go up if demand outstrips suppy in most things

They should be able to do far more than break even when they're often more expensive than every other competitor including at times the biggest high margin retailer on the high street. The supply was short but it was short across the UK so that in itself doesn't justify parts being £80 more than elsewhere.

Caporegime
Retailers don't price gouge the consoles!

Yup, products just as in demand and just as limited availability throughout the past several decades and apparently forever before that (that I had no experience of) RRP was basically the max price you'd pay. Over time as you start competing for sales and clearing out stock the price drops below RRP but consoles somehow go for exactly RRP everywhere all the time and never go over (in retail).

The second people started accepting retailers price gouging the second others followed suit. It's still basically exclusive PC parts places I see that get away with this. YOu see it on monitors yet I don't see it on tvs from any other electronics stores. IN fact any electronics store, tv, microwaves, fridges, etc, max prices I see are RRP, often cheaper. Hell those places you often get deals below RRP on launch.

Paying over RRP hurts you for every sale ever. It doesn't matter if you're rich, if you're paying £680 for a 600 card then you'll also pay £1400 for a £1200 card and eventually you'll get price gouged on everything you ever buy. Being rich or having enough cash to buy anyway doesn't mean you can't get better value or not be ripped off, it will still leave you more money to spend on other things.

The real killer is while the card price goes up it's in this case OCUK and maybe the distributor who gets the increased money while AMD's cut doesn't go up at all.

I hope that at some point in the future AMD/Nvidia/Intel start enforcing RRP by stating that any retailers found to be price gouging will be dropped off lists for people receiving supply for launches and won't get priority on stock during high demand periods.

The difficulty of RRP is different countries have inflation differences, depressions, hyper inflation of their currency, etc so having a rolling upper limit on price everywhere at all times is probably harder than it sounds at first glance. It would be nice to see an RRP that is roughly equivalent everywhere for launch though.

Soldato
They should be able to do far more than break even when they're often more expensive than every other competitor including at times the biggest high margin retailer on the high street. The supply was short but it was short across the UK so that in itself doesn't justify parts being £80 more than elsewhere.
i totally agree theres no justifcation for it, it goes on 24/7 in business, but myself i vote with my wallet and hold off and wait for prices to come down

Soldato
Yup, products just as in demand and just as limited availability throughout the past several decades and apparently forever before that (that I had no experience of) RRP was basically the max price you'd pay. Over time as you start competing for sales and clearing out stock the price drops below RRP but consoles somehow go for exactly RRP everywhere all the time and never go over (in retail).

The second people started accepting retailers price gouging the second others followed suit. It's still basically exclusive PC parts places I see that get away with this. YOu see it on monitors yet I don't see it on tvs from any other electronics stores. IN fact any electronics store, tv, microwaves, fridges, etc, max prices I see are RRP, often cheaper. Hell those places you often get deals below RRP on launch.

Paying over RRP hurts you for every sale ever. It doesn't matter if you're rich, if you're paying £680 for a 600 card then you'll also pay £1400 for a £1200 card and eventually you'll get price gouged on everything you ever buy. Being rich or having enough cash to buy anyway doesn't mean you can't get better value or not be ripped off, it will still leave you more money to spend on other things.

The real killer is while the card price goes up it's in this case OCUK and maybe the distributor who gets the increased money while AMD's cut doesn't go up at all.

I hope that at some point in the future AMD/Nvidia/Intel start enforcing RRP by stating that any retailers found to be price gouging will be dropped off lists for people receiving supply for launches and won't get priority on stock during high demand periods.

The difficulty of RRP is different countries have inflation differences, depressions, hyper inflation of their currency, etc so having a rolling upper limit on price everywhere at all times is probably harder than it sounds at first glance. It would be nice to see an RRP that is roughly equivalent everywhere for launch though.

I think the bigger established electronics places take the view that I price gouging is not good for customer loyalty.

Soldato
i totally agree theres no justifcation for it, it goes on 24/7 in business, but myself i vote with my wallet and hold off and wait for prices to come down

I do too, hold off and vote with my wallet to whoever is competitive. The thing is we've ended up in this situation because suppliers have not supported the independents we once had because they could shift more units via online only businesses but now we've lost the independents the online players can pretty much sell to the highest bidder like buying on the black market. If we had the independent enthusiast shops then stock would have been more spread around rather than focused on a small number of online retailers.

The thing is some online retailers are just getting ideas above their station in thinking they can charge more than you'd expect to pay in a bricks and mortar store that has some justification for higher prices with higher over heads and pre sales customer service.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone one acting like they have no choice.
Supply and demand. That's it.

I don’t think people feel they have no choice. I think people are frustrated, many feel a sense of loyalty to OCUK and their jacked up prices feels like a bit of a betrayal.

That’s certainly the camp I’m in, I understand I have a choice, and won’t buy from OCUK at the moment, but it’s still frustrating.

Soldato
I don’t think people feel they have no choice. I think people are frustrated, many feel a sense of loyalty to OCUK and their jacked up prices feels like a bit of a betrayal.

That’s certainly the camp I’m in, I understand I have a choice, and won’t buy from OCUK at the moment, but it’s still frustrating.

Yes and to top it off there was no attempt to limit sales to forum members which would have easily exhausted the stock levels without throwing it open to the public and scalpers at large.

Associate
I'm finding a lot of this loyalty situation.
Now I'm up for sticking with my favourite supplier and stuff, but is is more apparent that companies dont give a damn about there customers.
Nothing wrong to be loyal, nothing wrong to be a fan, but know this, to a company u just a number.

On personal level I like this supplier, but the last time I bought something of them was 10 years ago.

Associate
OCUK is slapping a 13% premium ontop of the MSRP and the 20% UK tax. (If my math is correct for the the 13%) I refuse to pay almost £100 more for a GPU id rather wait till mid January / feb to build my new PC and play games later.

Soldato
If it makes you feel better this has been raised to ASA and they have not immediately thrown it out, people who have reported the MSRP issue on PC components can contact them.

The ASA consider any media review that has "contributed" hardware as a paid review and as such it is advertising, the investigation is if the majority of components sold are above this price, then it is misleading advertising and action will be taken.

Associate
My friend got a 6800 for £529 yesterday from a competitor, they were £599 on OCUK :(
Yesterday I almost ordered a 6800 from a competitor I managed to add to the cart for 529 but I decided to try the XT version...:(. but obviously was a bad decision

Back
Top Bottom