• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Recommendation

Associate
Hi all.

I am in a bit of a quandary regarding what GPU to buy for my rig as I would like to upgrade my current card. I have a 6600xt at the moment along with a Ryzen 5 5600 CPU and 32 GB of RAM.

I was gaming with a 1080p monitor which the 6600xt handles like a beast, but would like to make the move to 1440p. This card doesn't seem like it would handle 1440p very well at higher settings so I think I will need a better GPU. I already have a monitor in mind but am a bit lost looking at the numerous options currently available in regards to GPUs.

I am also a bit concerned that a higher tier GPU may face a bottleneck due to my CPU as well. Would the 5600 be ok with the majority of the more powerful GPUs?

I can go to about £600 max budget but ideally a bit cheaper.

Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Soldato
What PSU do you have, as it'll dictate the GPU you're able to fit into the build?

I've been told that you can pick up a 6800 for £380 or so at the moment, which would be a good option if saving a bit of cash. Otherwise I'd be looking at either a 7900GRE or 4070S, the latter of which is more power efficient than the AMD option.

I'd suggest being on a good 650W PSU minimum for anything I've mentioned, although 750W might be best for the 7900GRE.

It does depend to an extent on what games you play too, Warzone for example seems to favour AMD cards. If I were you, I'd look at getting a 6800 for £380 should they still be available, and then try to fit in a second hand 5700X3D or 5800X3D to help boost your min frames (again, depending on what you play). Your current CPU should be okay with anything within your budget, but you're absolutely going to lose some performance with a 5600 at 1440P.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have a hunt around for a 6800, is that a new or used price?

Yes I feared the CPU might be an issue. I don't have the budget to upgrade my CPU at the moment it is something I will look at in the future.

Caporegime
Some thing like the XFX AMD Radeon RX 6800 16GB SWFT 319 for value (can be found for £369.99) or if you want to splurge more and make it last you a bit longer then a 7900GRE for sure. Nice and simple, 2 solid choices and doesn't overcomplicate things :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have a hunt around for a 6800, is that a new or used price?

Yes I feared the CPU might be an issue. I don't have the budget to upgrade my CPU at the moment it is something I will look at in the future.

New mate, unfortunately OCUK is a bit slim on stock in that regard and I'm not allowed to mention other vendors.

You shouldn't have a problem finding the deal though.

Associate
OP
Is there much difference between the 6800 and XT? I'm not sure the XT model can even be found now. I suppose there is the 7800xt but much more expensive.

Soldato
Is there much difference between the 6800 and XT? I'm not sure the XT model can even be found now. I suppose there is the 7800xt but much more expensive.

There is some, but they're like hens teeth and not worth the premium over the 6800 at this point.

The next closest AMD card is a £400 7700XT, which is actually slower than the 6800 with less VRAM as it's more of a successor to the 6700XT.

For £370 you're not going to find anything close to being better when buying new, and tbh I think some would argue that £130 more for a 7900GRE isn't worth the extra either.

Associate
Can't believe no one is mentioning the 4070s.

After you factor in the 2-4 year running cost of power, its effectively the same price as the GRE. Arguably better if you go with what some posters are saying about the cheapest cooler option not being able to handle its hefty power output.

Harware unboxed gave the 4070s a 1% win over the GRE yesterday. But you have to factor on top of that how much extra % DLS2 is over FRS2.2 peformance/quality wise for you.

The GRE has the 16gb memory. But you have to ask whether games are at all likely to get any more demanding in this area before then next gen consoles release. In past console generations, there has always been a period like a plateau where gfx card memory requirements paused for a time.
Its difficult to argue 16gb is required at 2K right now.

So it boils down to:
a) what is DLS worth to you?
b) is being able to turn on Raytracing features at your 2K res something you want to do?
c) the 12 vs 16gb question.

Associate
If you can get a new 6800 for £370, then go for that!
Edit: OK, fully legit @OP yeah go for that. Didn't realise they were generally available at such a fair price still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom