GPU upgrade 1440p Gaming

Associate
Hey

I was wondering what GPU should I go for if I was thinking about upgrading. I'm gaming at 1440p (144Hz). I don't have any particular budget in mind but I would prefer a good price/performance ratio. Of course, performance is more important. I've noticed my current GPU struggling with some games, lately. I am a casual gamer but I want to be able to throw anything at it and get everything from the game without having to compromise. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Specs:
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard
Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Corsair RM Series RM650 650W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
ADATA 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER WindForce OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
ECLIPSE P500 AIR ATX CASE TEMPERED GLASS DRGB SATIN BLACK
LG 27GL850-B 27" 2560x1440 NANO IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor

you have a 2080 super which is the equivalent performance of a 3060ti/6700xt
following the 50% rule, you'd need at least a 3080/6800xt to make it worth your while

so be prepared to spend £650+ if you really want to upgrade
personally, i wouldn't
Theoretically speaking, when would you consider the upgrade? "If this card cost this much" or something like that. Are there any particular cards/manufacturers I should avoid/focus on?

And a new psu.

@r00s73r

You could also upgrade your 3700x to a 5800x3d the fastest gaming cpu on that platform.
Yes, thank you. I thought upgrading only GPU might not be enough. What PSU would I be looking for in that case?

I don't think you will get good value from an upgrade right now. The 2080 super is a solid card and prices of significantly better cards are still elevated. Hopefully general oversupply and launch of lower tier 40 series cards will bring prices down soon.

On the other hand, AMD have shot themselves in the foot with their 7000 GPUs, and nVidia may be willing to sit on stock rather than let prices crash.

I'd hang on to your 2080 super for the time being and wait for the inevitable price crash that's coming to the gpu market.
I keep hearing about that but wasn't sure whether it's already happened, is happening, or is about to happen. I'm not in a rush so I don't mind waiting. I just wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of people who are more in the know.

I'm a big fan of Zotac they offer a 5 year warranty if registered within 30 days or otherwise 3 year. Had a couple of Zotac gpu's and there been solid .

850w minimum to a 1000w shoukd cover all bases
Noted. Any specific PSUs or will any in that range be OK? I assume I should look for Gold certification or better.

I'd get the rm1000x over that.. the e isn't as good even though newer...comes with a 7yrs warranty. I'd look for those with a 10yrs warranty , and seen the rm1000x for same price as the e version..actually, slightly cheaper.
If you're going for a 4000 series nvidia card you could look at one with the new connector for the gpu, then you don't have to deal with the spaghetti Western of the adapter cable
As to gpu, yup, new gen are expensive, in line with 3000 series card so you end up paying more for more fps so fairly linear..the 4070ti is an excellent 1440p card though..4k gets crimped a bit due to bandwidth..
Actually best value of the new gen so far I think..watch hardware unboxed..near top for price per frame.
I just went back and checked 1440p 16 game av for 4070ti was152fps,1%low124. the 7900xt was 158/130..comapre to 3090ti and 6950xt of 145/119 and 145/116, and the 3080 10gb of 119/96. At 4k you're withing 3% of a 3090ti and just above a 6950xt

so 2 ways of looking at it. either you go it's massively expensive compared to the 3070ti it replaces, or you go it beats a 3090ti, which was massively more expensive when launched. i look at it as it outperforms a 3080 by 28% at 1440p, and the 3080 was the best performance for price for higher end gpu last gen..and yes 3080fe is £650 but that was an fe, aib were far more expensive, and saying last year with crypto was exceptional..well it was, i saw a 3080 gor for over £2k at one stage on fleabay, and plenty of people on this forum paying over £2k for a 3090..was actually one person saying how bad a 4070ti was and he had a 3090ti in his sig..if £800 so bad for 3090ti performance, why shell out so much more for a 3090ti then. I try to not look at the name and just see what performance you get. Depressing otherwise as hardly a new generation price/performance upgrade, but 4070ti best so far

I'm not saying buy a 4070ti, but if your in the market for a powerful 1440p and don't mind paying the price, there aren't that many alternatives..if you can get a 6950xt at a good price, will be a good alternative, though up to you whether you want dlss or not, and if you want dlss3, which is only on a 4000 series card. Either that or wait however long to see if they drop in price

I'm about to build another pc, and sort of scratching my head over it myself...4070ti tuf card for £830 or a zotac trinity.... i'll prob pair with a 4k c2 tv though, but really don't want to shell out £400 more for a 4080..might as well get a 4090FE, but then you're up to £1600, so double the price of the 4070ti...just a shame memory bandwidth is what it is. Think it would have performed a lot better at 4k is more

If you do choose an nvidia though, wouldn't pay for an OC card..they're generally £100 for for basically 1-2fps more, as nvidia keep a tight leash on the design etc..
I am slightly confused about this whole situation with 4070ti. I've watched a few people talking about it rather negatively though that might've been in relation to the current prices and the state of the market rather than the card itself. I wasn't even considering 40 series let alone 4070ti as an upgrade because I thought it would be an overkill. That being said, thanks for all the info.
Having just sold my perfectly decent 3080 I'd highly recommend one of those for ~£500 or even better a 3090 FE for ~£750. Though it looks like you don't have access to the Members Market yet.

As for a PSU a 850W is more than enough for a 3080 and just fine for my replacement 4080 FE as it uses less power than the 3080 (or the same with no undervolt).

Your 650w PSU is good quality. I used to have the exact same one and it ran my 3080 FE no problem. If the GPU needs over 350w then I would consider upgrading. Otherwise you're probably fine with what you have, especially as your CPU does not draw a lot of power.

Your 2080 Super is a great card also. Unless you're genuinely unhappy with it's performance I wouldn't bother upgrading. Do you have a budget for the upgrade? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in the thread.
Would 850W be enough if I added a stronger CPU (potential future upgrade)?

I'm not unhappy with the performance overall. The majority of games that I play run at max without a problem. I don't really have a budget. I wasn't necessarily planning to upgrade anything right now anyway. I mostly wanted to hear from people who have a better understanding of the current situation around GPUs. I was aware of the crypto crash and the arrival of new gen GPUs and thus the price drop. I just wasn't sure whether this is what people have been waiting for or if it is better to wait a bit longer. Basically, is it worth it to upgrade right now or not? Either way, I'm thankful for all the info. If not right now, I will use it in the future once I decide to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom