GPU upgrade advice

Associate
Hi all,

I'm after some advice on upgrading my graphics card. Haven't upgraded anything since I bought it in Aug 2018. Any help would be really appreciated :)

PC specs:
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD
AMD Ryzen 5 Six core 2600 cpu @3.9 ghz
16 Gb ram
22" LED monitor 1920x1080 1080p 60Hz
power supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850w
budget no more than £400

Current graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070i 8Gb

Last edited:
as with every upgrade thread...
get a 6700xt, nice boost compared to a 1070ti
upgrade your mobo bios to support the latest AM4 ryzen
then sell the 1070ti and get a ryzen 5600
then sell your 2600 after
(could upgrade your ram to 32gb, but i'll leave that to your discretion)

end result? profit and much better fps

If your budget is super strict and you're going to stick to 1080P this is an idea:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £407.93 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Pick up another 16gb of RAM down the line.

Normally I'd go straight for a 6700XT but unless you're planning on changing the CPU and perhaps monitor out it might be a waste. Selling your current GPU and CPU as suggested by @tamzzy is a good idea if possible, and would net you a better upgrade in the form of the 6700XT + 5600 CPU.

Just hold in mind that if you upgrade your CPU you'll need to update your motherboard bios.

Edit: I can't remember if the ARC series needs resizable bar or not at this point, or if your setup would support it. I'd double check before taking the plunge if that's the route you go, I seem to remember that motherboard getting a bios update for it but I'm fuzzy brained from the gym lol.

Last edited:
If your budget is super strict and you're going to stick to 1080P this is an idea:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £407.93 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Pick up another 16gb of RAM down the line.

Normally I'd go straight for a 6700XT but unless you're planning on changing the CPU and perhaps monitor out it might be a waste. Selling your current GPU and CPU as suggested by @tamzzy is a good idea if possible, and would net you a better upgrade in the form of the 6700XT + 5600 CPU.

Just hold in mind that if you upgrade your CPU you'll need to update your motherboard bios.

Edit: I can't remember if the ARC series needs resizable bar or not at this point, or if your setup would support it. I'd double check before taking the plunge if that's the route you go, I seem to remember that motherboard getting a bios update for it but I'm fuzzy brained from the gym lol.
Cool, thanks for the advice. Would OCUK be able to tell me if the potential GPU would be supported on my setup?

definitely needs re-bar

a750 has poor old game performance, would rather just get a 6600 for more overall consistency if desperate to upgrade
6600 is faster in older games, but slightly slower in newer games compared to the a750...

...regardless, neither of them would be much of an improvement compared to a 1070ti (between 15-25% improvement) so much less than the 50% improvement i normally recommend.
i highly suspect op will be disappointed with the level of performance of a 6600/a570 after a £400 outlay

the 6700xt in contrast is 55-60% faster than a 1070ti, so much more noticeable improvement

Not really having any problems, was just looking to upgrade.

I see. The reason I ask is that 1080p is an awkward resolution, since you can easily end up CPU bottlenecked in some types of games (especially older games) and if that's the case, you might find the upgrade less meaningful than you'd expect.

definitely needs re-bar

a750 has poor old game performance, would rather just get a 6600 for more overall consistency if desperate to upgrade
6600 is faster in older games, but slightly slower in newer games compared to the a750...

...regardless, neither of them would be much of an improvement compared to a 1070ti (between 15-25% improvement) so much less than the 50% improvement i normally recommend.
i highly suspect op will be disappointed with the level of performance of a 6600/a570 after a £400 outlay

the 6700xt in contrast is 55-60% faster than a 1070ti, so much more noticeable improvement

I suspected as much.

Honestly I don't think I would bother with a GPU upgrade right now, for a 60hz 1080P screen the 1070ti is still fairly respectable depending on what you want to play. Unless you really want to get a feel for ray-tracing you're not gaining a lot by diving to a modern GPU in my opinion. I'd Look at platform longevity with a 5600 + RAM upgrade, then save for a better monitor and GPU at a later date. You'd probably see more consistent frames with the better CPU even while using a 1070ti at that resolution tbh.

The other option would be just saving enough to do a full platform upgrade.

Last edited:
I suspected as much.

Honestly I don't think I would bother with a GPU upgrade right now, for a 60hz 1080P screen the 1070ti is still fairly respectable depending on what you want to play. Unless you really want to get a feel for ray-tracing you're not gaining a lot by diving to a modern GPU in my opinion. I'd Look at platform longevity with a 5600 + RAM upgrade, then save for a better monitor and GPU at a later date. You'd probably see more consistent frames with the better CPU even while using a 1070ti at that resolution tbh.

The other option would be just saving enough to do a full platform upgrade.
Fair enough! Thanks for the advice. May well just update the CPU/RAM to keep it ticking along then.

Fair enough! Thanks for the advice. May well just update the CPU/RAM to keep it ticking along then.
if you're not upgrading your gpu i probably wouldn't even bother with the cpu upgrade.
the 2600 is reasonably well matched with the 1070ti, neither should significantly bottleneck the other

Back
Top Bottom