• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU wildly hot after new build

Associate
From the pictures it looks like all of your fans are pushing air in to the case so you have no airflow.
The two fans mounted on the back of your case should be extracting the hot air out so you need to flip them over.

Associate
OP
The fans at the front are the ones blowing out. I did remove the front panel though because if everything is covered with glass, but with small gaps, it didn't make much sense to me.
I am a noob though, someone from work sold it me, and I needed a bigger case than my old one, was assured airflow etc was good. Now I have doubts.

Soldato
The fans at the front are the ones blowing out. I did remove the front panel though because if everything is covered with glass, but with small gaps, it didn't make much sense to me.
I am a noob though, someone from work sold it me, and I needed a bigger case than my old one, was assured airflow etc was good. Now I have doubts.

The front fans should be pulling air into the case, and the rear should be exhausting air out.

Associate
OP
Right, you were running a i5-4460, whilst this isn't an ancient cpu its still quite slow and would frequently bottleneck even your 970, you've basically switched the bottleneck the other way around and now its the gpu (which it always should be).

That's why your getting higher temps. your new cpu is pushing the gpu as far as it can go now. A repaste with some good tim such as kryonaut will help.

Also make sure v-sync is enabled (unless you have it switched off for a reason)
I did consider this, and thought it might be a possible reason. Like I said last time I had this issue, it was when I cleaned my old pc out, put everything back together, and all of a sudden my gpu was too hot. Removed and put new paste on, and it did the trick. Didn't work this time though :(

Associate

Your front fans are currently sucking air in. You can tell because the spiral support bars are not visible in your picture of the front, all you see is the fan hub.

All your fans are currently set up to intake with no extraction, extraction is actually more important than intake, not to mention in your current setup the front 3 fans are battling the pressure of the back two.

Turn the top and back fan around.

Soldato

The fans in your picture looks like the front is pushing air in as well.

Ideally though, you want the front fans to push air in, and the rear and top fans to pull air out. Change them around and see what temps you're getting afterwards.

Associate
OP
Right, when I'm home from work I'll switch them up. The more I think about it though, the more uneasy I feel. Normally there's a glass plate at the front, and on top. I removed the front one because I had doubts about air. I was assured airflow and everything was fine. The fans were positioned like this when I bought the case. The more I look and think about it, the more I believe this case is actually terrible for airflow.

Soldato
Right, when I'm home from work I'll switch them up. The more I think about it though, the more uneasy I feel. Normally there's a glass plate at the front, and on top. I removed the front one because I had doubts about air. I was assured airflow and everything was fine. The fans were positioned like this when I bought the case. The more I look and think about it, the more I believe this case is actually terrible for airflow.

The case is actually fine, the main issue is none of your fans are exhausting the hot air so it all gets trapped inside.

Associate
There is a simple solution that everyone is missing to check for airflow problems, take the side panel off and see if it makes a difference.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm just worried because last week in my old build it wasn't like this, it was sitting at 55-65 most of the time, then possibly 70+ on something like battlefield. Now it's just 80-90 immediately after booting a game. With it having new and much better parts I wasn't sure if something else could cause it to get so hot.
55-65 in the same game? Since you have a new build I assume your running a new/clean version of Windows with all the latest drivers. It might be worth checking to see if the power limit has been increased in the drivers which will allow it to achieve highers clocks at the cost of pulling more power (which results in more heat).

Associate
OP
55-65 in the same game? Since you have a new build I assume your running a new/clean version of Windows with all the latest drivers. It might be worth checking to see if the power limit has been increased in the drivers which will allow it to achieve highers clocks at the cost of pulling more power (which results in more heat).
Yeah, I was running WoW at about 60ish, maybe more depending on what's happening. But now even on character select screen it shoots to 80-90. Stand still and press a single ability and it spikes up. Was definitely not doing that before. And yeah, I have taken the side panel off and the temperature didn't decrease.

Soldato
Yeah, I was running WoW at about 60ish, maybe more depending on what's happening. But now even on character select screen it shoots to 80-90. Stand still and press a single ability and it spikes up. Was definitely not doing that before. And yeah, I have taken the side panel off and the temperature didn't decrease.
Sorry did you quote the right person? I didn't say anything about taking the side panel off. Check the power limiter is at 0 or minimum in the driver's.

Back
Top Bottom