Gradual Upgrade

Associate
Right, first post here.

I'm looking to gradually upgrade my system before I disappear off to Uni in october, and would like some advice on my choice of upgrades.

I currently have a A7N8X Deluxe mobo, with a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ in there, along with 120GB and 80GB Maxtor IDE HDD, a LG DVD-RW and a MSI DVD drive, a generic (yuck) PSU (550W), an AGP X700 128, 1GB of OCZ value ram (2*512MB) and 256MB of Kingston value ram (all PC3200). My case is a generic thing.

I am looking to first replace case, PSU, and CPU cooler. As this will be expected to travel to and from uni with me, I am looking at a smaller, aluminium case, and I was considering the super lanboy. I was also considering the Hiper R580 PSU, and a Zalman cooler, as well as an X-Fi Xtreme Music

Now for the questions. Would the Lanboy make a good choice? I have heard nothing but great things said about it. I have read about the inefficiency of the Hiper R580, are there any other major problem with it, really, as it must be more efficient than my current PSU. Will the Zalman cooler that fits Skt A fit into the super lanboy? and what other advice can you give me? I'm well aware of the length of thime it will take me to set this up, as I have built a good few PCs in the past, but I just want some advice on the actual parts,r eally.

Associate
OP
well, this is more of a start to the upgrade process. eventually, I aim to have a completely new system, but these are the things that I can keep from one PC to the next. My question about the cooler was because I have that the lanboy can be a very tight fit, especially with large CPU coolers.

Associate
OP
hmmm. I can see what you mean. However, as I intend to eventually have something like a 1900XTX, with an X2 4400+ in there and stuff, I would like a PSU that can cope.

Associate
OP
Rhys said:
Save your money. You will be spending it all on alcohol.

Dont be lame and spend your money on a PC when you should be out having fun.

Buy a cheap laptop to write your work on and thats it.

Don't worry, I should have plenty saved up by the time I do go off to uni, got about two grand saved after only a few months, and another pay check should be coming in this week. :D

So how good are these gigabyte coolers then? I have heard great things of the zalman CNPS7000B, which also fits virtually every socket still available, and it is what I was tempted to go for. I'll also give my PC a good clean when I make this transition.

Associate
OP
So my choices okay?

I was thinking of chucking in a couple of rounded IDE cables and a speedlink medusa 5.1 headset in there as well.

zalman cooler vs the gigabyte?

im pretty much set on the super lanboy, as I think it looks a lot better than the lian li in the similar price range.

Might swith to one of the taigan 530W PSUs, as i seem to be hearing nothing but praise for them.

X-Fi Xtreme Music is a given, should make a big step up from the onboard sound I have been using up until now.

anything else I should consider?

Back
Top Bottom