Grandson broken jackplug end off headset - REPAIR?

Soldato
Clever eh - £60 "down the drain" or possibly not? He uses them on an iPad and x-box.

I have ordered a replacement 3.5 mm 4-ring jack plug (i.e. ground / mic / L sound / R sound).

I have stripped the old plug off but because it was all glued up it was impossible to tell which wire is connected to which part of the plug

I think it is

1st ring / 2 ring / 3rd ring / tip
Mic ... / ground / L sound / R sound

Is this right? for standard headsets?

Also - I have now cut off the cable and have

mic + ground
green (sound ground?
red (L or R ?)
different red (L or R?)

but when I try using a multi meter I don't make any contact ? are the minute wires all varnished and I presume I will have to put a blob of solder on each to get an electrical contact?

Any advice please? Mel

Soldato
3.5mm jacks are all standard for left / right audio, so I think you have your L / R audio the wrong way round - the tip is left.

From what you have said, I think it is likely the wires are coated. When I tried repairing my earphones I found I could strip the coating with my soldering iron though it was easy to accidently melt the wires themselves too.

Last edited:
Don
3.5mm jacks are all standard, though I think you have your L / R audio the wrong way round - the tip is left.

There is actually 2 different standards CTIA and OMTP, CTIA being the newer of the two (and supported by PS4, XBOX etc)

EDIT: Not actually sure which I used in the end, I found someone else's pinout/colour code for my headset and followed that in the end

but when I try using a multi meter I don't make any contact ? are the minute wires all varnished and I presume I will have to put a blob of solder on each to get an electrical contact?

If it's anything like the HyperX Cloud Stinger I repaired a couple of weeks ago, the "coloured copper" e.g. green/red etc are actually a very thin non-conductive coating. I used a lighter to burn the insulation off (i.e. just hold it in the tip of the flame, as soon as it catches fire, blow it out)

Hardest part imo was making sure the terminals don't touch once you have reassembled the 3.5mm plug. I ended up wrapping each terminal in insulating tape - it wasn't pretty but works, and not had any issues since, even with my fairly poor soldering

Soldato
There is actually 2 different standards CTIA and OMTP, CTIA being the newer of the two (and supported by PS4, XBOX etc)

EDIT: Not actually sure which I used in the end, I found someone else's pinout/colour code for my headset and followed that in the end

Thanks for the pick up, I didn't explain that very well. I was only talking about the left right audio being standard as the OP had them the wrong way round. Updated my post to make it clearer in case anyone searches it :)

Soldato
OP
Well wire stripping done / insulation flamed off ...

There are 5 wires -

THREE
green - left - tip
red/copper stripe - right - next band
red - sound common (ground) - next band
I have soldered these on to the 3 end connectors and the sound works OK BUT the plug doesn't seem to fit properly into a phone - not quite the same length. L / R ID OK. Might have to try a different jack plug?

OTHER TWO

copper braid wrapped around inner white cable - the white cable is presumably the mic cable - to be soldered to the top band
Haven't soldered these on yet - do I solder the copper braid to the same ring as the sound ground? (ANSWER = YES)

Any advice please? Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All working now - but need to desolder, tidy up and resolder! To squeeze in to allow plug cover to be put on. Mel

Back
Top Bottom