• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card for VR Build

Associate
I intended to build a new PC last year but with stock levels and price rises, I put it on hold. I took delivery of my Reverb G2 just before Christmas and my current system sort of runs it Ok. I'm hoping things settle a bit on stock in the next few months but I'm not sure what graphics card to aim for. I'll probably go either 5600X or 5800X on an x570 motherboard. Budget would stretch to a reference 6900xt if they are ever in stock again but getting real world opinions on the new AMD cards with regards VR performance is not easy. I'm thinking it's either reference 3080, 6800xt or 6900xt. Has anyone got any experience of any of these cards in VR, particularly the AMD cards ?

Associate
Nvidia cards tend to perform better in VR, that said, you cant go wrong with any of the new AMD cards. ive been playing FS2020 in VR on my 6800 for such a demanding game its really not bad at all. General VR its absolutely fine.

Associate
OP
Nvidia cards tend to perform better in VR, that said, you cant go wrong with any of the new AMD cards. ive been playing FS2020 in VR on my 6800 for such a demanding game its really not bad at all. General VR its absolutely fine.

I also play FS2020 in VR. With medium settings, WMR SS 80, in game TAA at 80 I get around 25-32 fps. The G2 takes some grunt to keep the frame rate up and if I drop the SS below 100%, the edge to edge clarity drops off and that's not great to begin with.

Thanks. I've already seen those which got me to the current choices I indicated. I was looking more for anyone here who has first hand experience with any of these cards in VR.

Associate
My brother has a G2 and only plays iRacing. His 1080Ti only allows him to set Steam VR Supersampling scaler to 50%. He’s waiting (not very patiently) to get his hands on a 6900XT (all new AMD setup).
I’ve told him to watercool and overclock the hell out of his 6900xt when he gets it. This is based on the fact my 3090FE can only just about drive my Rift CV1 properly on Dirt Rally 2.0 now with all settings to max and not at all really my Quest 2 using oculus link/Virtual Desktop.
If you have a G2 I’d go for the absolute fastest out there else you will definitely be disappointed

Back
Top Bottom