Graphics card upgrade, suggestions?

Associate
Hi All!

Been awhile since I posted, but I felt being more patient with deciding what to do next with my current computer rig was important.

My current setup is as follows:

DEFCON 1B - GIGABYTE X299-AORUS GAMING 7 PRO I9 7900X OVERCLOCKED @ 4.4GHZ BUNDLE

Corsair Graphite 760T V2 Windowed Full Tower Case

Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Quad Channel Kit (HX436C17PB3K4/32)

GEFORCE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD (GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8

I have recently purchased the following PSU to fit into this:

Corsair Professional Series HX 1200W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020140-UK)

Now, I want to upgrade the graphics a little more to be a little more up to date, I was considering purchasing a 2nd 1080 and having it in SLI, or purchasing a new graphic card entirely to get as much FPS out of the games I play (ArmA 3, BF5, VR Games etc) from my rig as possible.

What would the best course of action take? Would having the 1080s SLI'd work better, or is it more economical to just buy a new graphic card (such as the 2080s) instead?

Any suggestions appreciated! (Though to note, I do not like AMD cards, please stick to nVidia as I've had far too many problems with AMD in the past).

Cheers!

Stick with single 1080 and save up for 2080ti .

Only logical step . Unless you know for sure 80% of games you play have Good SLi support .
Even if you bagged good deal second hand, card might be left idle for a while

Pushing 2080, might as well sell card and grab second hand 1080ti for cheaper .

Though does Ray tracing grab your fancy ?

I'm not really too fussed to be honest, the only benefit I want to have is nice smooth gaming so the more FPS I can churn out my system the better.

I also am I little curious if having a better MHz monitor would also assist with the overall FPS I see. I have a 60hz 4k monitor, recently found that G-Sync was limiting my frame rates through all my games as well.

What does Ray-Tracing add/provide? I've not really looked into it much

I also am I little curious if having a better MHz monitor would also assist with the overall FPS I see. I have a 60hz 4k monitor, recently found that G-Sync was limiting my frame rates through all my games as well
You're not going to run 4k @60fps with a gtx 1080 at max settings. Neither is it possible to do this with a gtx 1080ti/2080 with newer AAA titles. Get a 2080ti...only logical upgrade choice (albeit expensive)

You're not going to run 4k @60fps with a gtx 1080 at max settings. Neither is it possible to do this with a gtx 1080ti/2080 with newer AAA titles. Get a 2080ti...only logical upgrade choice (albeit expensive)

I know that, hence why I'm looking at an upgrade. I'm also not really fussed about 4k either. So wanted to know about the MHz rating on monitors and their affect on FPS values.

I know that, hence why I'm looking at an upgrade. I'm also not really fussed about 4k either. So wanted to know about the MHz rating on monitors and their affect on FPS values.
I think you're confused with FPS and Hz.
Hz = refresh rate on a monitor. IE how many times per second the monitor can display a new image.
Fps = how many frames per second the gpu can send to the monitor. This value is dependent on the game and graphics settings of said game. Higher graphics settings and/or higher resolution = lower fps.

Gsync aka variable refresh tries to match the refresh rate of the monitor with the FPS of the GPU to give a smoother experience.

It is widely accepted that 30fps should be the absolute minimum target. 60fps is ideal, anything more would give a "smoother" experience.

I think you may be missing the question I'm asking, I do understand the difference but I have heard of varying opinions when it comes to the MHz of the monitor and the smoothness of play with the FPS you get.

So what I'm asking is this:

Does the refresh rate of a monitor have any relation to the FPS that the system provides, or is it really down to the smoothness of movement with the picture itself?

I think you may be missing the question I'm asking, I do understand the difference but I have heard of varying opinions when it comes to the MHz of the monitor and the smoothness of play with the FPS you get.

So what I'm asking is this:

Does the refresh rate of a monitor have any relation to the FPS that the system provides, or is it really down to the smoothness of movement with the picture itself?
Which I have answered. FPS = GPU. Hz = monitor.
No point having a 144hz monitor when you GPU can only run your game at 30 FPS.
Conversely, if your GPU can output 200fps, it won't look as smooth if your monitor only has a 60hz refresh rate compared to a monitor with 144hz refresh rate.

So that answers my question regarding smoothness, the higher the FPS the smoother it will look on a higher Hz monitor, the lower the FPS the less a higher Hz monitor will make any difference. So I'll probably look for a better Hz monitor as I prefer smooth movement then what I'm seeing at the moment.

In regards to the graphic card upgrade, I'm not too familiar with what Ray Tracing does, what benefits (If any) does it provide if I have a card that supports it?

The card in question for a 2080ti I've found is the following:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-119-zt.html

This was the best one I could find with the highest clock speeds compared to the other cards available to the best of my knowledge.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions, or can suggest the specifics I should be looking for when picking a new card?

In regards to the graphic card upgrade, I'm not too familiar with what Ray Tracing does, what benefits (If any) does it provide if I have a card that supports it?

The card in question for a 2080ti I've found is the following:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-119-zt.html

This was the best one I could find with the highest clock speeds compared to the other cards available to the best of my knowledge.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions, or can suggest the specifics I should be looking for when picking a new card?
depends if you want to spend that much, of course.

amp extreme review: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_gaming_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_amp_extreme_review,1.html
what's odd is that only BFV seems to show a massive performance uplift in comparison to other 2080ti cards. rest of the games and the performance gain is minimal, at best
and at worst, negligible for the extra 30% outlay required to get the amp extreme

there are other alternatives for much cheaper (cheaper, being relative - it is, after all, a 2080ti)
personally, i'd rather save 450 notes and get this instead:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,149.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

So that answers my question regarding smoothness, the higher the FPS the smoother it will look on a higher Hz monitor, the lower the FPS the less a higher Hz monitor will make any difference. So I'll probably look for a better Hz monitor as I prefer smooth movement then what I'm seeing at the moment.
what you'd want to get is a 120/144hz 1440p monitor with gsync :)

something like this:
Total: £560.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Total: £2,210.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

either the zotac or gigabyte.
zotac has 5 year warranty if you register it in time, but is asia RMA (sorry) zotac has a UK RMA base actually
gigbyte has 4 year warranty, but UK RMA base.

with all the GDDR6 issues, best to get cards with the longest and most hassle-free warranty

JFmZ8CM.png
sauce: Graphics Card Warranty's - Let's see how good they really are *Look*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom