Graphics Card Upgrade

Associate
Hi All,

I'm thinking about upgrading my GTX 1080 to either a RTX 2070 Super or the RTX 2080.

My question, will I see a noticeable difference graphics wise in VR gaming?

Or should I just wait for the next generation to release, which is rumored to be around Q2 2020.

Oculus Rift S
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
i7-6700K
Asus Maximus Hero VIII

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't bother personally unless you can stretch to a 2080Ti - that made a very noticeable difference in VR when I briefly had one. At this point I'd wait for the next lineup of GPUs to be released.

Associate
I say wait, AMD usually announces new GPUs in January, and Nvidia will surely announce something as well.

Earliest release dates for new GPUs could be April-July next year.

Associate
I'd even wait a few months after the release date, in case nVidia release a bunch of defective cards again.

That's always a possibility. There will always be early adopters to anything, basically the only way to know if there are any problems. Every puchase has a slight risk to it I guess.

But I wouldn't say there's any real need to wait months, since RMA's are pretty easy these days.

Associate
But I wouldn't say there's any real need to wait months, since RMA's are pretty easy these days.
The problem is at launch there will be very limited stock for RMAs. You'd end up waiting weeks, if not months, for a replacement. If you've sold on your previous GPU, that's a long wait (and that's if nVidia even get back to you with the RMA label).

Associate
The problem is at launch there will be very limited stock for RMAs. You'd end up waiting weeks, if not months, for a replacement. If you've sold on your previous GPU, that's a long wait (and that's if nVidia even get back to you with the RMA label).

This is why I would suggest keeping around an old GPU, I have a 7870XT for these kind of transitional times, it's quite useful to have and saves you from having down time.

Associate
This is why I would suggest keeping around an old GPU, I have a 7870XT for these kind of transitional times, it's quite useful to have and saves you from having down time.
That's pretty much what I was doing after successive 2080Ti failures. Of course if you have an iGPU you'd still be functional, although not for gaming. :)

Associate
That's pretty much what I was doing after successive 2080Ti failures. Of course if you have an iGPU you'd still be functional, although not for gaming. :)

Ha, just seen your signature :)

These were the first Turing cards so I guess there were bound to be complications.

You're obviously right, it is better to wait and let other people test out the GPU's for you, I guess you were unfortunately on the receiving end for the 2080Ti release.

Back
Top Bottom