Graphics cards for Mini-ITX?

Associate
Issues with space / size and power supplies here.

Most PSU have an average of 90Watts. Max around 150W and mini-ITX can handle Core ix architecture yet for gaming it seems unsuitable because you need to rely on the Intel HD on-board CPU graphics, unless someone knows of a specific card which performs well on games and can fit these tiny cases with such tiny space?

I mean the Motherboards are equipped with the PCI-E slots and are capable of handling big cards but can the power supplies handle them (providing you can find a card that fits!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Seems a waste to have an i7, good ram etc but no GPU.

EDIT** Supose i should mention I am considering the Perspex Mini-ITX case which is available from a specific seller on a certain auction website. This case is mentioned often here and is quite popular. OR the Antec ISK 100 Ultra Small case.

Peace

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm I'll take a look at this suggestion for sure, thank you.

However, I hate to be picky but I'd much rather nVidia over ATI. I'm very brand loyal to them from personal bad experiences with ATI.

Associate
OP
So I'd need to get different cases all together or are you saying the super low profile card you mention can fit those cases if I do a load of hacking?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys great thread. I want to build a powerful gaming PC but I have an incredibly small amount of space to do so. I HATE laptops and I'd much rather build myself a desktop PC.

So Mini-ITX seems to tbe the way forward.

RimBlock - Great thread and wicked pics. I rated the thread 5* and Subscribed.

Just a few questions:

You state you're using a S1200KP board but your picture shows a DH61DL board?

This case is not taller than a coke can? Are you serious? :D

The Motherboard you used has on board graphics? You didn't use a Low Profile GPU?

Associate
OP
The cases onlt come with 150W PSUs though which knocks out most video cards.

RB

You're saying the 300-150 / 310-150 have 150watt PSU's which "knock out" most GPU's as in are too powerful or are compatible with all low profile cards?

I think it's a shame the perspex case can't house a LP GPU. That case is pretty much the same dimension of the 170x170 ITX standard itself so is ultra compact.

The cases mentioned here (ISK 3xx) seem to be getting on the big side and so almost defeating the point of building one.

Though really I should get out the tape measure and imagine it myself...perhaps not as big as I think.

Associate
OP
Zotac Z68ITX-B-E: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-011-ZT&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2071

This motherboard guys has an integrated nVidia GT430.... Is this powerful enough to run battlefield 3? I don't need revved up settings just smooth playability.

And is it a 'Full' GT 430 or some sort of cut down edition? Otherwise this motherboard seems perfect and I assume it fits the Perspex Mini-ITX case available elsewhere just fine right?

God I'm salivating now... It's Sandybridge Core i architecture too.... Potentially a fantastic "mini" gaming system here...?

Associate
OP
Hmm sounds good! thanks for those stats :)

So far my Mini-ITX system looks like this:

Intel Core i7-2700K 3.50GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM **Supplied with BattleField 3 PC Game** £274.99

Zotac Z68ITX-B-E Supreme Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £174.98

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GB3-BK) £129.98

Crucial 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10600C9 1333MHz 204-Pin SODIMM Module (CT51264BC1339)

Antec ISK 100 OR Perspex Mini-ITX

External USB optical drive / peripherals etc...

What you guys think? :)

PS: I know I need a CPU cooler. might have to buy the retail version instead to save the hassle.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Core i3 / 15 should be fine in the ISK100 though right?

Tbh I'm leaning towards the perspex mini case with a Pico PSU and External Brick.

The suggested Zotac Z68 has an integrated 430GT which should be fine enough for me.

Is water cooling a possibility in this little case do you reckon? Perspex / ISK100?

Associate
OP
Ok, I'll do some research into the SG05. Thanks for all the advice so far. Money isn't an issue here but space is, that's why I want a nice Micro sized PC.

It's also for the novelty factor too of having a PC with desktop computing power but at such a small size.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice and tips so far guys. Very much appreciated.

PS: I was thinking the same thing on the 'thermal image' effect of that posters image!

It appears as though I will need to sacrifice size if I want power so I have scrapped the ISK100 and Perspex case ideas.

I'm going with the Lian-Li Q09 (SG05 seems hard to source atm) I reckon.

My cart looks somewhat like this atm but is subject to change!!

6349433064_57af850bf6_b.jpg

I know I need a Keyboard and Operating System but I may be getting them elsewhere. Optical drive, Bluetooth adapter and TV card perhaps also :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
it makes a tv card a pain to fit, so thats why I went for the wesena.

The thermal image above is a hybrid taken to show what the case cooling is like, aside from a few hot spots, its pretty good at 4.5ghz

Nice one! This case sure does look pretty tasty and of good build quality. Ticks the boxes in terms of cooling / air flow and expansion capability.

http://www.wesena.co.uk/product.php/5/2/itx2

Is this what you have? ^^

Back
Top Bottom