Graphics on linux - nvidia v AMD performance

Soldato
I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card on my main system so have been looking into linux performance before buying

I was going to go AMD R9 290 until the nvidia GTX 970 came out.

Anyway, here is a comparison benchmark from CSGO (now available on linux)

2nqdr9i.jpg

It seems like the AMD R9 290 is only a tiny bit faster than a nvidia 750ti :eek:

I thought AMD were improving their linux drivers?
I know in the past they were a lot worse than nvidia but I've had little problem with the catalyst drivers on my HD5770 since I've had it.

Not sure if anyone has a R9 280 or 290 and can confirm this as it seems really weird.

If these benchmarks are accurate I might have to go nvidia.

Soldato
OP
CS generally isn't the greatest overall judge for performance - it tends to be extremely sensitive to CPU grunt
I think all the tests were on the same system (says i7 4770k on bench page) so should be pretty fair :confused:

I noticed the linux performance was bad when I tried dota2 on linux, on windows I have a lot of settings on high and get over 120fps (have it capped to 120) but on linux even with everything on low I was getting drops below 60fps :(

I used to play quake3 on linux years ago and always remember having nvidia back then (2000?)

Just seems pretty shocking that the performance would be so different.

The table doesn't look quite right tho as it shows a r9 290 being only 7fps different to a r7 260x.

Soldato
OP
I've been using Linux for 15 years and the biggest reoccurring issue has always been ATI graphics drivers. Time and time again they just don't work, break, have glitches and cause endless head banging.

The performance issues are the least of the issues.
I have also been using linux on my desktop systems for years (since 1997). I had problems with the ATI drivers back when I had a x1900 (2005-2006?).

In more recent years I haven't had any problems relating to AMD GPU drivers. (other than poor performance)
I've had a HD5770 for the past 4 years without a problem (running dual monitors using xrandr)
I also have a sempron laptop with x600 integrated GPU and have had no problems with the GPU drivers :confused:

I am probably going to get an nvidia card soon (the last nvidia card I had was a 8800GTX) so I guess I will see the difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom