Great White Shark... friendly?!

Soldato
My Google skillz are useless, I can't find anything where sharks hunt humans and eat them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_shark_attacks_in_South_African_territorial_waters

Skinner was standing in chest-deep water in False bay when a white shark bit him. Skinner signaled for help. The shark then pulled him under the water. When he surfaced the shark bit him again. Helicopters and boats were then sent out to look for him.[11]According to witnesses, Skinner was eaten alive by the white shark, which was described as being "as large as a dinosaur"

There's loads. You have to remember that these are only the one's where people have been confirmed killed by a shark, there will be unconfirmed attacks where people have just been eaten while swimming or surfing alone and no body will have been found.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I'd say he was bitten to death and not eaten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_shark_attacks_in_Australia

Some of these:

Christine Armstrong Female 63 Eaten Whole finished by seagulls

Ben Linden Male 24 Eaten whole. Shark attacked jet ski trying to retrieve Ben's body.

Sam Kellett Male 28 Eaten whole body never recovered.

I will literally not swim in waters that have Great White's in them, it's just a big nope from me.

Man of Honour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_shark_attacks_in_Australia
Some of these:
I will literally not swim in waters that have Great White's in them, it's just a big nope from me.

Like I said somewhere above, many body parts have been found in sharks including whole bodies but my definition of eaten is being digested and then poo'd out which from the multitude of shark documentaries I've watched doesn't happen but mistakes do happen and for that reason I would also stay out of the water :)

Soldato
Sharks, *pfft*. It's seals you have to watch out for...
2OTzt7.gif

Soldato
Man of Honour
Perhaps it should wear a deerstalker and use a Winchester rifle? What exactly qualifies as a shark "hunting humans" if not swimming up to them and killing them? You seem to have, if you'll pardon me, an unattainable criteria here.

Sharks don't hunt humans for food but they mistake them for other sea animals and take a bite and very quickly realise they are not tasty.
Sometimes whole bodies have been found in sharks but they haven't been digested and poo'd through a letterbox.
I'm on the side of David Attenborough and not sensationalist reporting.

Soldato
Perhaps it should wear a deerstalker and use a Winchester rifle? What exactly qualifies as a shark "hunting humans" if not swimming up to them and killing them? You seem to have, if you'll pardon me, an unattainable criteria here.
it wasn't "hunting humans" it was looking for food. it came across humans. "hunting humans" implies it was specifically looking only for humans.

Soldato
it wasn't "hunting humans" it was looking for food. it came across humans. "hunting humans" implies it was specifically looking only for humans.

The shark is hunting. Included in the group of things it is hunting, are humans. By your logic, it doesn't hunt fish because if it "comes across a human" and eats him, it's not specifically looking only for fish and therefore doesn't hunt fish. Unless you (a) have found a shark that only ever eats one and only one specific type of prey or (b) speaks and tells you "today, I'm hunting X and will ignore Y", then you're out of luck. Your logic above means sharks never hunt.

Soldato
The shark is hunting. Included in the group of things it is hunting, are humans. By your logic, it doesn't hunt fish because if it "comes across a human" and eats him, it's not specifically looking only for fish and therefore doesn't hunt fish. Unless you (a) have found a shark that only ever eats one and only one specific type of prey or (b) speaks and tells you "today, I'm hunting X and will ignore Y", then you're out of luck. Your logic above means sharks never hunt.
If shark are actively hunting humans they must be the worse hunters in evolutionally history.
And sharks like most other predators do target specific pray and tend to go were that specific prey is located. If sharks did specificity target humans they would frequent beaches and other area with lot of human activity, but you know what, they don't tend to do that.

Sharks like most predators would eat anything viable if it was in need of food, you know just like any other animal. I'm sure if we could count the entire human history I wouldn't be surprised if humans east more humans than sharks. :p

By your measure dogs are far worse human predators.

Associate
Sharks are ****ing cool and this White is a beast.

It is a shame that the indifference of some people and their unwillingness to change their minds is one of the biggest obstacles to conservation.

Back
Top Bottom