Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [4th - 6th July 2020]

Don
OP
Interesting to hear the different reactions to Bournemouth's goal and Utd's equaliser. If De Gea concedes Greenwood's goal he's getting criticised for the ball going through his hands, like what happened at Spurs.

Don
OP
It's because DeGea rarely used to make mistakes, no? In fact he did the opposite, he was solid. I think he should be dropped, it's not the first time this season or last season and Romero isn't that bad. Nobody should be undroppable.

It's also no surprise that fans criticise their team. Rightly or wrongly. I mean look at AFTV...
I wasn't defending De Gea, more highlighting how goalkeepers outside the big clubs get an easy ride. Any top keeper concedes Greenwood's goal and they're getting questioned. BT's commentators actually defended Bournemouth's keeper.

Don
OP
Funny thing is that penalty decision is probably more controversial than all the penalties we've been given this season, bet there won't be much coverage of it though.
Including the dive from James that the PGMOL came out and admitted should never have been given?

Don
OP
Yeah easily as controversial. I doubt it will get as much coverage though.
I'll wait for the PGMOL's statement then. I'm not sure there's been much coverage of Utd's luck with decisions outside of forums and twitter though, nor have many people said they weren't even correct in isolation, just that these marginal calls Utd keep getting haven't been going for other clubs. The handball today for example was no more or less a penalty than Cahill's handball vs Liverpool the other week.

Don
OP
De Gea I think is just a confidence thing.
It's been 2 years now. At what point do you stop putting down to a blip or a confidence thing?
Don't they also commit tactical fouls to prevent counter attacks?
Yes. I'm not sure what that has to do with my earlier post though. I was replying to Shami's post about the controversy around the amount of pens Utd have been given this season.
Always thought Liverpool were the kings of that.
Top of the fairplay league I think you'll find. Dirty Arsenal are bottom of it.

Don
OP
My point was that refereeing is not just in favour of Utd. If that's the point you were making. Surely all the pens are VAR reviewed anyway. Unlike the tactical fouls.
I'm not sure if Ciy are getting away with a disproportionate number of fouls. Utd are certainly receiving a disproportionaite number of penalties compared to other sides though. As for VAR, it depends on what the onfield decision was. I mentioned the penalty appeal Liverpool had vs Palace the other week, it was a very similar handball to the one Utd got today - the onfield decision was no penalty and VAR will only overturn if it's a massive mistake. That said, Utd have had the most subjective overturns by VAR too, including getting a pen vs Norwich that the PGMOL later admitted was the wrong decision.

Don
OP
Leave the Arsenal fans alone Baz. You can wind them up again when they sign the next Ronaldo or get another amazing manager in.
Liverpool are champions of everything right now. I'm taking my chance to wind everybody up thank you very much, I've waited long enough.

Don
OP
Assuming City's CL ban stands then it's starting to look like there will be nothing to play for in the remaining 5 rounds of fixtures. The bottom 3 look dead and with Wolves losing it looks like the CL spots have been decided too.

Don
OP
I'd be very surprised if it stands... fully expecting it to be overturned somehow.
I genuinely haven't got a clue how it will play out. City have been very aggressive in claiming their innocence but they were also briefing the Manchester press pack that UEFA weren't going to ban them to begin with either.

As long as Leicester don't finish 5th then it's a no lose situation. Either City get banned or one of Utd and Chelsea finish 5th and miss out on the CL. All 3 eventualities are acceptable.

Don
OP
Some of you guys are a right bunch of whiners :p We've got nothing to play for, playing in an empty stadium and on a massive come down after winning the title. Of course we're not going to play with the same intensity and have the same urgency to our game. The next few games are going to be a bit of a grind with half the squad subconsciously on the beach already. In fact it wouldn't be a bad idea if Klopp sent a few of them to the beach and brough in the likes of Jones, Williams and Elliott - these guys will play with the intensity and urgency lack was lacking today.

Anyway, we won.

Don
OP
City fans keep saying Ederson would walk into most sides midfields. That's the 3rd time he's tried in a few seasons and he's been lobbed each time.

Back
Top Bottom