Greta Thunberg

Soldato
Lots of the ol' "If we can't fix the problem 100% why even bother trying' going on in here. It's like the pro gun nuts in the US saying guns shouldn't be banned because people could still get them.

Personally I find her a bit cringy but if it gets an important message across to millions of people then I'm all for it.

Permabanned
This is gonna get out of hand. What we're seeing here isn't some random child having a whinge, this is the start of a revolt from the younger, entitled generations giving it large to the current grown-ups about how we've left the planet in ruins for them.

There are already loads of youngsters who think that we've left the world in tatters, that we're all to blame, etc. This is just going to bring it to the forefront, we're in for a long, long spell of whinging and temper tantrums, mark my words.

Permabanned
OP
Lots of the ol' "If we can't fix the problem 100% why even bother trying' going on in here. It's like the pro gun nuts in the US saying guns shouldn't be banned because people could still get them.

Personally I find her a bit cringy but if it gets an important message across to millions of people then I'm all for it.

So what is the message?

Soldato
This is gonna get out of hand. What we're seeing here isn't some random child having a whinge, this is the start of a revolt from the younger, entitled generations giving it large to the current grown-ups about how we've left the planet in ruins for them.

There are already loads of youngsters who think that we've left the world in tatters, that we're all to blame, etc. This is just going to bring it to the forefront, we're in for a long, long spell of whinging and temper tantrums, mark my words.

Well, we kind of have, don't you think?

Don
Hands up who doesn't like clean water and oxygen.

Evidently quite a few people!
It’s amazing how many people appear to be threatened by her and it’s quite sad how all they can do is direct personal abuse at her.

I think she’s great at what she’s done and will hopefully spur real change and focus politically to accelerate not just reducing CO2 emissions but to actually start removing it from the atmosphere.

And that’s coming from someone that works in the oil industry!

Soldato
I feel sorry for her tbh, far too much worry on her mind from such a young age. I think she'll probably burn out fairly soon, have some sort of breakdown due to nothing happening.

Usually you get political in your late teens and become disillusioned in your 20's. Today's kids are already at the disillusionment stage.

Associate
The problem is the number of people. the number of CHILDREN. She is a MUCH part of the problem as my diesel car, but my diesel car will die in 10 years tops. And SHE will likely produce some happy children, all of them consuming. They might be vegan-grade, but they'll still generate more carbon in their lifetime than many, many transatlantic flights or diesel cars.

Soldato
So what is the message?
Simply that climate change is a thing and that action needs to be taken now to avoid irreparable damage. Sadly that still needs to be said.

The problem is the number of people. the number of CHILDREN. She is a MUCH part of the problem as my diesel car, but my diesel car will die in 10 years tops. And SHE will likely produce some happy children, all of them consuming. They might be vegan-grade, but they'll still generate more carbon in their lifetime than many, many transatlantic flights or diesel cars.
Okay but we all know that's never going to happen, humans are always going to reproduce so instead of blaming children for being born we should be making changes that are realistic instead of thinking with our wallets and what's convenient at the time.

Man of Honour
Or it may be people just shrug there shoulders and think why bother when there are countries like India and China polluting the hell out of the planet and we dont see any real change taking place there.

Which is why i think we need to start with science and engineering.
Cheep unlimited power would be like cream donuts to a fat kid for developing countries and those with the best part of 3 Billion people between them. If we could move the planet over to cleaner energy then thats a lot of the battle.

But we would rather pump trillions into the war machine that keeps the middle east so much of a pleasant place!!

China are the largest investors in renewables, something crazy like 50% of global investment in renewables comes from China. I'm not trying to praise them, environmentally they're a disaster but to say nothing is changing would be unfair on them. Even their air pollution levels are improving, they've got a long long way to go though.

I don't have much hope for India unless something drastic happens.

Ultimately she will have almost zero effect on anything, much like the schoolchildren being encouraged to ditch school and instead gather on the sides of roads to shout (and giggle) their way through a couple hours of "street protests".

Plenty of drivers will beep their horns and the children will whoop and giggle and prance about. And their teachers/parents will no doubt assure them that they are "making their voices heard" or some such.

Again, the net effect of this will be zero or close to zero. Policymakers won't lose any sleep about what Greta is saying. Their associates in big industry will be calling the shots.

The students where I work went on strike. They blockaded a building where all the senior staff are and demanded to have a meeting with them to address areas where we could be doing more to help the environment.

Obviously this isn't happening in all schools but if young people around the world manage to get a few small changes at their institution, I'd say that's a positive thing and a step in the right direction.

Your post comes across as incredibly pessimistic and I'm not sure how you think that kind of attitude is going to help.

Associate
The planet has been in far worse state than this in the past and got through it fine, might take a few million years though.

I just think we are going about this all the wrong way, something needs done - just not all this tinkering and crap we seem to be doing. But ... well lets keep fiddling about while the other side of the world doesnt care.

As for students protesting, well i wonder how many of them will care as much in 20 years time - people have a tendency to change and most i bet will not be half as bothered about the environment once they get older.

Permabanned
The planet has been in far worse state than this in the past and got through it fine, might take a few million years though.

I just think we are going about this all the wrong way, something needs done - just not all this tinkering and crap we seem to be doing. But ... well lets keep fiddling about while the other side of the world doesnt care.

As for students protesting, well i wonder how many of them will care as much in 20 years time - people have a tendency to change and most i bet will not be half as bothered about the environment once they get older.

This crossed my mind too, it’s so much easier to moan about stuff when you’ve got no bills to pay, no mouths to feed, just school and free time. Wait until these kids get a dose of the real world, they’ll collapse like a house of cards.

Soldato
Not a fan of hers, think she could do with putting a sock in it. Is almost certainly a hypocrite, doubt if she even cares about environment, probably just a narcassist and likes being a spoiled brat in front of lots of ppl. What do you reckon?

I think that she's talking a lot of sense, and people who matter are being forced to listen to her and respond.

Why do you want to silence her? You could choose to either ignore her or debate against her, rather than **** her off which risks just making you look like a ****.

Back
Top Bottom