• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Grey screen/tears/artifacts on new MSI 7950

Associate
help Grey screen/tears/artifacts on new MSI 7950

Just bought this MSI 7950 from OCuk http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-148-MS

I am getting artifacts/tearing and a grey screen with vertical stripes when attempting to play GW2, CS:GO and after coming out to Desktop getting weird text errors
Capture1.png

I have not overclocked anything just plugged in installed drivers. Also a clean install of Windows 7.

Take this card out and put my old GTS250 in and it all works fine.

Reinstalled drivers after sweeping up the old ones and still getting the same issue. If this is a duff card I will be a sad sad poor person.

Tried HDMI and DVI, 1 Monitor and Dual.

Anyone got any ideas? Gonna test in my old PC tomorrow once reinstalled windows.

This is a new build all bought via OCuk:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge)
Geil Black Dragon DDR3 1600
Corsair Hydro H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
*b grade*MSI Z77A-GD65 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler Master Elite Power 500W Power Supply (Checked with staff before buying this would cope)
Cooler Master Elite 430 case

Already had the following:
60G Agility 3 SSD
2 HDD (one of which I unplugged along with any other usbs to see if power was an issue)

I havent had much luck with this order as failed to deliver parts twice

EDIT:
This is what I got after RMA got returned to me.
20121019_234805.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
cs:go ran fine for me not tried my sleeping dogs yet as i had to totally reinstall win7 today after insane file corruption last night so I can't say I've taxed it yet. what I did notice though is it spews up a screen of 100% graphical corruption when my machine wakes from sleep mode, not an issue for me as sleep was only enabled after the clean install and it's disabled now, so I'm hoping that was just a quirk with the power schemes of the card, this did go away upon a refresh.

Soldato
Cooler Master Elite Power 500W Power Supply (Checked with staff before buying this would cope)
I'm not sure if the right advise has been given...

That PSU only comes with ONE PCI-E 6pin...meaning that using additional molex to PCI-E 6pin adapter is likely gonna stress the 12v rail more than the PSU is capable of outputting. Also, the PSU is not even 80 Plus White certified...it only has a efficiency of 70% Plus according to CoolerMaster's product description:
http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=6696

Permabanned
I'd definitely be changing that PSU, if the 12v rail is stressed it can start to ripple badly which can damage components.

uZi

uZi

Associate
Sounds similar to my issues with my 7870.

If you've still got the card in, can you try one thing for me - this crashes my pc every time I try to do it. I've also tried downclocking mine and it doesn't help.

Go into windows system properties and try to refresh your windows index rating - it'll try and run the d3d test for aero - does this cause you problems?

EDIT: ah should've read your last post more carefully - already gone!

Associate
OP
ok my gpu was fine returned to me yesterday. i now have returned my psu but have very low funds to get a new psu. Any advice on cheap psu which will be enough to run my set up for now. £45 is pushing my budget now so need that as max.

Associate
Not to be "that guy"

but a PSU is REALLY something that cost should not be skimped on. It's only asking for trouble down the road.

A lot of people for some reason either don't realise this or don't tell others.

A PSU has the capability of completely destroying your whole system and (possibly) all your data.

500/600/700+ quid down the drain to save a few quid on a budget PSU? Don't do it.

Wait till next payday and invest in something in the 700W+ range at around £60+

You don't need to spend hundreds, but you do need to spend more than you'd blow down the pub tonight.

Don't mean to be a dick, or scare monger, or be negative, just the harsh reality! (All in my incredibly humble opinion, of course.)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
your not that guy. i asked for advice and you gave it. my only prob is cash. which isn't coming for sometime as overspent on the rest. wife will need some convincing lol.
so was hoping for a make do. guess ill sell some old kit on ebay to get the £60 odd ill need.
recommendations welcome as ballsed up before :)

Associate
OP
I am now at my whits end as finally got OCUK to send me another PSU a Corsiar CX600 which they said was enuff to power the set up and I am getting the same screen lock ups etc. Can it be drivers? as safe mode seems fine.
I have also when freshly installed drivers after driversweeping been getting to the windows logo fine but once the screen blanks ready for the logon screen it all goes black.
I have tried the card in one of the other PCI slots and it does the same. OCUK tested my GPU when I RMA'd it so any ideas please!!

Associate
I have the exact same card with a 4 pin + 6 pin pin adapter, On most games its brilliant but on guild wars 2 for some reason I get glitches sometimes like the screen flashing white for a second and one time even crashed with blue lines on my screen

Associate
OP
Ok reinstalled windows. Got all the updates and installed chipset drivers.
Then installed ati drivers and bam restart and the moment windows icon has stopped swirling I get the black screen of doom.
Dunno what to RMA next tempted to send the whole fricking lot back.

Associate
OP
Tried safe mode and that is fine no issues at all. Tried restarting f8 and choosing the use low resolution start up and that allowed me to see the log on screen but with a band of graphic gibberish across the screen. Logged in and I get flickery lines across the screen.
Tried this on hdmi and dvi. DVI didnt black screen but looked truely f'd up and crashed totally on logging in.

Back
Top Bottom