Grip-it fixings

Associate
Has anyone used grip-it fixings? Are they are better than the metal self drill plasterboard fixings?

Ok, bit of background,

Moved into a new build beginning of the year and put up curtain poles above 2 doors with bit of wood attached to plasterboard wall using 4 metal plasterboard fixings. Thought this would be enough to take the weight.

Few weeks ago noticed the fixings were starting to come away from the wall, took everything down.

Would I be better off filling the existing holes in the plasterboard and adding more of the metal fixings to support the weight or would the grip-it fixings in the existing holes take the weight better?

Thanks,

Neil

Associate
Used these myself. I found them to be great. They can take a huge amount of weight as long as you choose the right size. If you have free space behind the wall, you may be able to use spring toggles etc:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-spring-toggles-5-x-50mm-20-pack/20385

I've got 4-5 of the brown ones holding up a small folding table. I did need the undercutting tool though, as may walls were dot and dab and had no space behind them. Otherwise I'd have used spring toggles.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-brown-plasterboard-fixings-20-x-20mm-8-pack/1495j

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-20mm-undercutting-tool/8838j

Hitman
Soldato
I've used Grip-Its throughout our new build! They're so easy to prepare. Hung everything from heavy frames, large/heavy mirrors and a couple of large TVs around the house.

Associate
The heavy duty anchors are great, but if the OP's new build is anything like mine, then the walls are dot-dab onto cinder blocks. I was somewhat cautious about drilling into the cinder blocks as they seemed rather soft and crumbly. The only things I've hung with the self-drill plugs are a couple of small pictures. For that sort of application, self-drills are fine, but curtains are heavy and require something far more substantial.

Associate
how do you know if there is wiring or pipes behind said plasterboard though?

Get a decent wire and pipe detector. Not a cheapy one from the DIY sheds. I bought one of these after putting up shelves and drilling thru my (stupidly placed) telephone line. Bosch GMS 120. It was the kit that BT had sent out to their engineers after going thru a few different types.

Associate
These are brilliant, needs a strong impact driver to get the bolts in though!

Yes should have mentioned you wont be screwing in the hex bolt by hand :p
Combi drill will drive it in though you may have to back it off slightly then go again if it binds up.

Soldato
Do you think they would work with a 2cm plasterboard attached to a lintel? Want to mount the blinds within the window frame rather than in front of it but lintel always gets in the way...

Associate
Used them as well, got a coat hook rail in the under stairs cupboard with loads of the gf's coats on (that she obviously needs). It takes a bit of a bashing getting things in and out and the weight it pretty decent and it hasn't budged.

Soldato
Was going to use these but how do you get over the fact the fixings may be slightly wider than the actual fitting you are putting up?

For example with the curtain pole, I am pretty sure that the fixing would be slightly wider than the bracket. Is it a matter of a bit of filler smoothed and painted?

Caporegime
Was going to use these but how do you get over the fact the fixings may be slightly wider than the actual fitting you are putting up?

For example with the curtain pole, I am pretty sure that the fixing would be slightly wider than the bracket. Is it a matter of a bit of filler smoothed and painted?

they have 4-5 different sizes. use their smallest ones.

Soldato
I used to fix things to plaster board in my working days and those fixing would have come in very handy - I did it the same way but made up my own spacers and used lengths of wall plugs (buy them a foot long and cut to size) and then I made up a spacer - The screw into plaster board fixing are ok providing you never touch whatever it was you fitted ever again

If you have plaster board on battens then it's a different ball game - need to locate a batten at least.

Good find there Daniel Hopkins

Soldato

When I used them, the hole was slightly bigger than the shelf they were holding up. I just slapped a but of filler over the top, smoothed and sanded it then painted it. You'd never know now!

Back
Top Bottom