GRP roofing. Noisy when it rain?

Associate
So, need a new flat roof covering for a loft room. Was given two quotes, one for 3 ply torched felt system and the other for GRP fiberglass covering. The 2nd is a fair bit dearer but supposedly longer lasting. My question is, I've read that GRP can be quite noisey when it rains, would this be a deal breaker? Having slept up in the room, when it rains it already is fairly noisy already (to me anyway) and that is felt.
There is insulation in the roof BTW.

Ta

Soldato
Grp all day
Felt is sooo last century
felt will last maybe 15 years tops and grp much longer,also if you get a hole in grp due to a slate falling off an above roof,for instance,you can easily make a good repair
As for noise i can`t say that i have found it noisy (not that i have a grp above my bedroom) but have been inside roofs that have grp when raining

Associate
As above GRP, no seams so less chance of a leak and if done correctly you likely won’t ever have to worry about replacing it again. As Andarial said it’s easier to repair too if something does happen.

We’ve had our bay windows redone with GRP (formerly they were felt) and I don’t think it’s any more noisy than before. Personally I think it’s more aesthetically pleasing than felt too.

Permabanned
Depends what's under it. Felt does absorb noise well, but there isn't that much difference and personally I like a the sound of rain anyway!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input!

As it's the loft flat roof it's not something that will ever be seen so can only trust they do a good job.
Going with GRP, mostly because it should last longer without issue as we're not planning on moving in the next 15-20 years!

I wonder how many people manage to successfully chase up a claim under warranty 10 years down the line if need be!

Back
Top Bottom