Grumpy old man syndrome, or do I have a point?

Soldato
Hey all,

There's something that's been on my mind for a little while now, specifically after I visited my mother to do some work for her. It's something I've noticed before but generally goes out of my mind fairly quickly, but over time it has become a bit more prominent and obvious.

To get to the point, I have three young (well, late teens and early 20's) nieces. For the past 3-4 years, for birthdays and Christmas, they have been giving out pictures of themselves as gifts (as the only gift to the person for either event). They do this specifically with my mother, their grandmother, but do it with other family members also. It's always a collective picture with the three of them in it. In pretty much every picture at least two of them are drinking alcohol (as in holding bottles of beer etc), in several at least one of them is clearly drunk. So it isn't even a case of them going to a photographer or making a point of having a nice photograph taken, they're literally just printouts of pictures they've taken on their phones while on a night out.

These photos are literally covering my mothers walls, she only lives in a small bungalow, they're not being requested by her as she already has a million pictures of everyone in the family anyway. When she doesn't immediately put them up one of the girls pitches a fit as though my mother is being ungrateful or doesn't love them. When I look at them, all I can think is that it's painfully narcissistic and very cheap.

...Am I being a grumpy old man? Is this normal behaviour for people in that age group?

Just felt the need to have a bit of a rant.

Soldato
OP
Is that you Victor Meldrew :)

How did you know?

...I don't believe it! :D

Welcome to generations of children being brought up via social media where your life's worth is judged by how many likes you get for posting pictures of yourself.

Yeah, I figure the reliance on social media has something to do with it.

Take them down one by one see if anyone notices. :D

Good idea! lol

Soldato
OP
Some of the people above, bugger off you dirty sods. lol

I'll say one thing about the three, they're not promiscuous types, the eldest has been in a relationship with a guy she very much seems to care about for 4 years now, and the one in the middle is in a similar situation.

My concern is about their oblivious self absorbed attitudes and actions at times, and the over the top responses they present when those attitudes aren't backed up, as described above.

remove picture from frame

scan said picture

photoshop something hilarious into each one

reprint and hang

Cracking idea tbh.

Soldato
OP
This is social media for you. The wife is having her Mrs. Bucket soiree tomorrow night, a family "friend" historically spends the whole night taking digital photos on time lapse, nearly all including his inane grinning self, with a David Bailey intensity, several of which he then sends as custom Christmas cards. I promised myself last year I'd tell him to stick the device where the sun never shines. I'll let you know if I am emboldened enough to face the post party wrath from `er indoors to see this through! If I chicken out an accident with a pint of dark beer and his device will be a good second best. My sympathies. Digital cameras are a curse, an expensive trip to the developers made a photo at least thoughtful financially, if not artistically.

We should make a mutual (potential suicide) pact, if one does it so does the other! :D

It bothers me but the explosive drama that would ensue were I to try and talk to them about it, I'm not sure if I could go through with it.

Soldato
OP
I like it, I've had a few beers to numb the thought of tomorrow night, so my boldness may waver in favor of a quiet night, we'll see... There's a lot of ale in the fridge. Don't let them grind you down ;)

Got a bottle of spiced rum and some cognac hiding away, not to mention beer! No shortage of dutch courage at the least.

My brother does this to my parents. Every year for Christmas gets them a picture of him, his wife and the kids.

My mother won’t say anything but it winds me right up. I mean this woman brought you up for 25 years and the best you can do is a god awful picture of your flipping wife and kids every single year.

It’s the fact that it’s given as the actual and only Christmas present that winds me up. Yes we give my parents the obligatory school photo of our kid every year but it’s not presented as some kind of present.... especially a Christmas present of all things.

And it’s not like my folks are that hard to buy for. Dad loves Lego. Providing Lego keep making new sets every year he is literally the easiest person to buy for.

I think what you've described is what gets to me the most. The girls are all working now par the youngest, and my mother has spent a small fortune on them over the years. Still does every year, sometimes to somewhat expensive requests for Christmas or birthdays despite the fact she's a pensioner.

Send them all a photo of your Johnston for Xmas in kind.

Errr.... no? What the..?

Soldato
OP
Have you, and @johnny6, asked your respective mothers what they feel about this practice? Many people like having photos of family and loved ones.

Already mentioned this earlier in the thread.

My mother lives in a really small one bed bungalow, she's fiercely independent but as she's getting older she's struggling to do a lot of things, so a small property was the only real solution. She's literally running out of wall space due to the photographs, and when I have brought it up she agrees with me, but is afraid to mention it to the girls due to how they're likely to react. It's to the point where she'll have to take down photographs of other family members just to make space. I wasn't being hyperbolic earlier when I said that if she doesn't immediately put their 'gifts' on the wall or somewhere that can be seen easily that they pitch a fit. The tears turn on and there's claims of her not caring (she was an incredibly active grandparent, they stayed with her at least two weekends a month ontop of regular through the week babysitting, she even took all three away on holiday for at least 2 weeks a year so their parents could have a break) about them, that or a tantrum demanding to know where their wonderful gifts have went.

My mother doesn't say anything because she isn't up to dealing with the drama, and their parents certainly wont bring it up.

I just find it very aggravating.

Soldato
OP
Can she not replace one of the older ones with the newer ones? Or does that no go down well either? I think i'd limit it to 7 photos max of them, maybe in a singular frame, one of each of them solo, one with each of them with your mum, one of the three of them.

Not without complaints.

At the rate they're going they might as well get some custom wallpaper featuring the three of them made and redecorate her home.

Back
Top Bottom