GT Sport and 15kb SVGs

Soldato
Hello!

New to these depths of the OCUK forum, but looking for some help. I have a "Morby Motorsport" logo (link from one drive here!) that I would love to get in SVG form under 15kb to be able to use it on GT Sport (which has a decal uploader, but a max size of 15kb).

I'm guessing due to the complexity of the text and gradient, this is going to be hard to achieve? Any help and advice is appreciated!

Assuming it's using the proper gradient notation, gradients don't bloat SVG filesize at all (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Element/linearGradient)
It's likely all of the tiny curves on the lettering (curved paths = more points) - try reducing the accuracy of the curves or reducing floating point precision when exporting to SVG. A minifier like svgo might help too.

What kind of size reduction are you looking to achieve?

Hello! Firstly thank you for helping, I forgot to put a watch on this thread (have done so now) so missed your reply! I need to get it down to 15kb so I can upload it to the decal creator for Gran Turismo Sport, so I don't mind sacrificing some quality to get it there. Sadly I tried using svgo and it didn't reduce it at all :(

What I should have asked was, what's the current size of the SVG you're getting? Optimising from 30kB -> 15kB is going to be more achievable than 500kB -> 15kB.

If svgo didn't yield any results it's possible that it's either as optimised as possible (in which case you'd have to make edits to the original file) or it's not being properly exported in the first place. Can you upload the file you're trying to use?

What I should have asked was, what's the current size of the SVG you're getting? Optimising from 30kB -> 15kB is going to be more achievable than 500kB -> 15kB.

If svgo didn't yield any results it's possible that it's either as optimised as possible (in which case you'd have to make edits to the original file) or it's not being properly exported in the first place. Can you upload the file you're trying to use?

Got a link to the PSD file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auatfo7TN_M7icdNQMutTuRriiKFgw

OK that is a raster image (pixel data) - you need a vector image (co-ordinate/path data) in order to convert it to SVG.

You will need to trace the image in something like Illustrator to create the proper path data that can then be exported, or maybe try some kind of automated conversion tool. The important thing is you need it to be a vector image before you can export to SVG.

Edit: Had a quick go with an automated conversion in Illustrator: https://we.tl/N0fPoxC6jb
The flames have lost a bit of detail but you'd probably have to spend a lot longer playing with the settings or tracing manually to get a good result.

Last edited:
That is, quite simply, AWESOME!!! Thank you so much :D

Sorting out getting illustrator myself so I can play around a bit more myself and learn these sorts of things, but that has done the job brilliantly!!

Back
Top Bottom