GT86/GR86/BRZ

Associate
OP
It was 10 years ago, so maybe my experience of various cars was limited, and I drove it 1200 miles in 2 days but I wasn't impressed.
Is this new one so amazing then or what? Planning on driving one next week, but would I be disappointed coming from a Caterham? I need a 2+2 so I can take both kids out, and the only other things that could work are things like a TTRS or Evora...

If you're coming from a Caterham then most things will be disappointing unfortunately.

I've had a GT86, TT-RS and a Lotus Exige (not Evora :p).

TT-RS will have the most usable space for taking the kids out. my GT86 was just silly trying to fit anyone in the back, GR86 will be the same from looking at one. Evora I'd be incredibly surprised if you can fit anyone in the back.

Evora will have the best driver feel and closest to Caterham though.

What's your budget? Could an M2 be an option?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
If you're coming from a Caterham then most things will be disappointing unfortunately.

I've had a GT86, TT-RS and a Lotus Exige (not Evora :p).

TT-RS will have the most usable space for taking the kids out. my GT86 was just silly trying to fit anyone in the back, GR86 will be the same from looking at one. Evora I'd be incredibly surprised if you can fit anyone in the back.

Evora will have the best driver feel and closest to Caterham though.

What's your budget? Could an M2 be an option?
How would you sum up the TT-RS? Typical Audi, fast & competent but not "fun"? You have the Mk2 or Mk3?
Will start a new thread later rather than derail this one, but back seats are only for jaunts with the kids, I'd be blatting around myself for most of the time like in the Caterham.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How would you sum up the TT-RS? Typical Audi, fast & competent but not "fun"? You have the Mk2 or Mk3?
Will start a new thread later rather than derail this one, but back seats are only for jaunts with the kids, I'd be blatting around myself for most of the time like in the Caterham.
I had the Mk3, 67 Reg.

By all means it was a great car, it was faster on the butt dyno than my M4 Competition in terms of handling and 0-60 and just performance in general. But yes, typical Audi, steering feel was dead, you'd 100% struggle with that if you come from a Caterham, it was bad enough going from M4 to TT-RS for me.
Could corner like it was on rails, but would also feel like you were steering a car in a video game at the same time. :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I had the Mk3, 67 Reg.

By all means it was a great car, it was faster on the butt dyno than my M4 Competition in terms of handling and 0-60 and just performance in general. But yes, typical Audi, steering feel was dead, you'd 100% struggle with that if you come from a Caterham, it was bad enough going from M4 to TT-RS for me.
Could corner like it was on rails, but would also feel like you were steering a car in a video game at the same time. :p
I envy your car history :D
If you had them all lined up, which set of keys would you grab to go for a drive? Which one would you jump into to let off some steam after a ****** day at work? Exige doesn't count :p

Soldato
Been enjoying this thing a lot as a daily. I've put Whiteline springs and Enkeis on in recent months:
AP1GczOXLvyJtBcg_fbUwakGO--r_LdxCN4R1mlJ7zz3abKcs_ujsyovANnsGv20vGfd7fsk0KoJPgHvB3WwAPatAWNoRSsHpwXNdhmJEvKFqx-vrFzlFP4G8cL3SI0TzT_M9gkIbFEAJdLIiT86AJlRaJrg=w532-h945-s-no-gm

Had these waiting to go on for a while too, but waiting until I can get some performance bench marking in, then will fit with map:
AP1GczNRPoPJCw6vRuiGCBc5s1tJpC09FQLAgXBfGHVmdIX-au_lR-O3LpoPHyFmsUuEP0aaqG90zwUKmxr872D3YMoO8Rev1JZywwV4l9MrBwi7pJIjIRu4Eywrc9bsrl19HM-ff1hH_0DO9bEapbfV3KnN=w709-h945-s-no-gm

Associate
OP
I envy your car history :D
If you had them all lined up, which set of keys would you grab to go for a drive? Which one would you jump into to let off some steam after a ****** day at work? Exige doesn't count :p
Haha, I envy the Caterham always really wanted one but I have no garage to put one in!

In all honesty, the GT86 was an absolute blast on the backroads I don't think I could have matched it for the money, but I'd have to pick the M4 Comp. It was exhilarating in every way, just hilarious seeing people glaring at it on a summers day, especially with the M Perf titanium exhaust. :p (If Exige was allowed 110% that.. haha)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been enjoying this thing a lot as a daily. I've put Whiteline springs and Enkeis on in recent months:

Had these waiting to go on for a while too, but waiting until I can get some performance bench marking in, then will fit with map:
RPF1's? Those wheels are the absolute best choice for an 86/BRZ in my opinion, goes ace with that colour!

Last edited:
Associate
AP1GczOXLvyJtBcg_fbUwakGO--r_LdxCN4R1mlJ7zz3abKcs_ujsyovANnsGv20vGfd7fsk0KoJPgHvB3WwAPatAWNoRSsHpwXNdhmJEvKFqx-vrFzlFP4G8cL3SI0TzT_M9gkIbFEAJdLIiT86AJlRaJrg=w532-h945-s-no-gm

AP1GczNRPoPJCw6vRuiGCBc5s1tJpC09FQLAgXBfGHVmdIX-au_lR-O3LpoPHyFmsUuEP0aaqG90zwUKmxr872D3YMoO8Rev1JZywwV4l9MrBwi7pJIjIRu4Eywrc9bsrl19HM-ff1hH_0DO9bEapbfV3KnN=w709-h945-s-no-gm
My 86 was silver. I did Milltek non res exhaust, Valenti lights, Tein flex Z coil overs, Eibach wheel spacers and changed all the interior trims/gear knob etc to oe black. Aussie/Japanese market I think.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Haha, I envy the Caterham always really wanted one but I have no garage to put one in!

In all honesty, the GT86 was an absolute blast on the backroads I don't think I could have matched it for the money, but I'd have to pick the M4 Comp. It was exhilarating in every way, just hilarious seeing people glaring at it on a summers day, especially with the M Perf titanium exhaust. :p (If Exige was allowed 110% that.. haha)
Fair enough, thanks for the feedback :)

PS - You can get a rain cover for the Caterham :p

Soldato
RPF1's? Those wheels are the absolute best choice for an 86/BRZ in my opinion, goes ace with that colour!
Completely agree!

These are slightly more aggressive fitment wise than I'd have opted for... But they look ace, just clatter the sides with dirt :D I need to get some mini OEM style flaps!
My 86 was silver. I did Milltek non res exhaust, Valenti lights, Tein flex Z coil overs, Eibach wheel spacers and changed all the interior trims/gear knob etc to oe black. Aussie/Japanese market I think.
This feels like a platform that a few simple mods just work!

Soldato
Were there differences in Trim in the UK? I see mention of premium/base models but can't really see any differences in any for sale at the moment except some have the duck bill style spoiler which I assume was an optional extra?

Anything else to be aware of? Lined up to view a white one in the coming days. Very torn between white or the sexy bright blue.

Caporegime
Were there differences in Trim in the UK? I see mention of premium/base models but can't really see any differences in any for sale at the moment except some have the duck bill style spoiler which I assume was an optional extra?

Anything else to be aware of? Lined up to view a white one in the coming days. Very torn between white or the sexy bright blue.

It is a US thing. All the UK cars are "Premium" spec. Only options were colour plus a handful of accessories like mudflaps, cargo nets etc. You could also get the spoiler but if it hasn't got one and it is your style fensport sell them pre painted and you can even get Chinese knock offs already.

The bright blue was also only available on the first batch of cars so they will be slightly older. Not that it really matter as prices are strong regardless of year.

Soldato
It is a US thing. All the UK cars are "Premium" spec. Only options were colour plus a handful of accessories like mudflaps, cargo nets etc. You could also get the spoiler but if it hasn't got one and it is your style fensport sell them pre painted and you can even get Chinese knock offs already.

The bright blue was also only available on the first batch of cars so they will be slightly older. Not that it really matter as prices are strong regardless of year.
Thanks for clearing that up, I did think that may be the case regarding the US.

Yep the prices are holding well. The white one I've enquired about is one owner 2023 just past 1000 miles, and the blue one as you say is 2022 about 2000 miles.

Both just over £30k.

I do really like the white too, it contrasts well against all the black bits and bobs.

Am I right in thinking these will have 10 year warranty, even if bought used, as long as they are always serviced by Toyota on schedule?

Caporegime
Thanks for clearing that up, I did think that may be the case regarding the US.

Yep the prices are holding well. The white one I've enquired about is one owner 2023 just past 1000 miles, and the blue one as you say is 2022 about 2000 miles.

Both just over £30k.

I do really like the white too, it contrasts well against all the black bits and bobs.

Am I right in thinking these will have 10 year warranty, even if bought used, as long as they are always serviced by Toyota on schedule?

Yeah initial warranty is 3 years but as long as they are serviced all the time at Toyota it is 10 years.

Soldato
Thanks again. Looking forward to going to have a look
They offered the bodykit and spoiler as an optional extra in Europe so if you get the part code, Toyota can order it in for you. I ordered a pre-painted Silver spoiler direct through Toyota as Fensport only do the proper TRD JDM colours of Red, Black and White pre-painted. It worked out cheaper than Fensport as well.

The body kit I think is still stuck in those 3 colours but the spoiler can be ordered in all the colours from what I could tell.

Soldato
They offered the bodykit and spoiler as an optional extra in Europe so if you get the part code, Toyota can order it in for you. I ordered a pre-painted Silver spoiler direct through Toyota as Fensport only do the proper TRD JDM colours of Red, Black and White pre-painted. It worked out cheaper than Fensport as well.

The body kit I think is still stuck in those 3 colours but the spoiler can be ordered in all the colours from what I could tell.
Interesting, thanks. I noticed the kits listed on the Toyota accessories site too.

Looks good with the whole lot installed

Back
Top Bottom