• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 260 not working...

Associate
I have just purchased a 'Golden Sample' Gainward GTX 260 896MB DDR3 graphics card. My PC meets all of the specifications needed for the card.

I have followed all of the hardware installation instructions and I put the card into one of my PCI Express X16 slots into my P5N-E SLI motherboard. (Suprised it fitted TBH).

I plugged the monitor in, booted up the computer and guess what?

The monitor didn't detect the card and there was just a blank screen. The card did turn on though. I could hear the very noisy fan. I rebooted the computer a few times and still, there was just a blank screen saying 'No Signal'.

Here are the system requirements stated on the back of the box:

>Intel LGA775 Dual Core CPU.
>2GB RAM.
>550Watt system power supply.
>PCI-Express X16 slot motherboard, PCI-Express 2.0 motherboard.
>Support Windows 2000/XP/Vista system.

My monitor works absolutely fine with my 8500GT so I don't think my monitor is the problem.

Why isn't my monitor detecting the graphics card? What might I be doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance. :) If I can get this to work, I will be very happy! It looks like an awesome card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a few things to try, first what make and wattage is your PSU.

Reset your mobos CMOS

Unplug all your gear from the mains for a few minutes

Try a VGA to DVI adapter to hook your monitor up to the card.

Associate
OP
My make of PSU is High Quality Evolution Commitment and is 550W (Meets the minimum reqiurement for the card). See above where I edited to see the system requirements of the card stated on the back of the box. ^^

And yes, the power connectors are connected, the card actually turns on but shows no display.

Last edited:
Associate
another casualty. Me too. You can search for this problem on GTX 260 275 Series. I'd updated the BIOS and the drivers, black screen seems to be fixed, but the pc goes to blue screen quite often. I bought it for two weeks, there might be no possibility to refund it. I'll borrow a fine card to replace, see if the blue screen is caused by this ****ing card. If so, I will burst it! like I never spend 110 pounds on it. trying to jump to ati side(I used to be a n fan). If you bought it within 7 days, then just refund it!!

Associate
OP
Sorry, but I am not especially good with this sort of thing.

What are TFT settings?

There are 28 holes in the DVI socket in the graphics card, so I think it is Dual Link. In my monitor, there are 24 holes, so I think it is DVI-D Dual Link. I don't have a DVI lead for my monitor but my monitor will work with DVI should I try that?

Also, there are 2 sockets in my graphics card for power connections, do I have to use both?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What are TFT settings?

There is a DVI-I dual link socket in my graphics card and a DVI-D dual link socket in my monitor.

Is there any kind of lead which would be able to link my monitor and graphics card using DVI? If so, should I give it a try?

Also, there are two power connector sockets in my graphics card, should I be using both of them?

*Sorry for repeating message, I thought my other one was deleted ^^*

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yey! It works! Thank you everyone for your help. Now I can play COD5 on highest! :):):):)

I feel quite stupid to not connect both connectors in the first place. Although the manual told me to only connect one...

Back
Top Bottom