• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 660ti vs HD 7950

Associate
ANSWERED AND ORDERED
See here for more info behind me going for the GTX660ti by MSI:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22814469&postcount=32

I'm a little lost as to which to go for - both sit in my price range. For the research I have done it is really hard to pin down.

660 GTX ti vs 660 GTX ti SC+ vs 660 GTX ti PE vs 7950 vs 7950 OC

Basically, this is what I understand from all the searching I've done:
It's all about your personal preference.

There are certain games that the 660 gtx ti does better in, and others the 7950.

The thing is this, at stock:
7950 has lower clocks, higher mem and bus
660 has higher clocks, lower mem and bus

660 is favoured atm for people who game, as it supports games much better. ie. BF3 is designed for nvidia.

Now for overall, long-run, it seems the 7950 is better because of it's high bus and mem size - this will allow it to stretch to high limits in the long run.
However it should be noted that both are OC'able - now I don't want to OC, but if you want to OC the GPU's the 7950, can out-perform it's bigger brother the 7970 (stock) - so for me, I'm leaning for the MSI AMD Radeon HD 7950 TWIN FROZR.

Ref:
MSI HD7950:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-148-MS

EVGA GTX660ti SC:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-198-EA

MSI GTX660ti PE:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-172-MS
Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I should note that I would want something that can be a little on the quiet side :)
Also warranties are something that's important to me - so how would each cope internationally speaking? If I moved let's say from the UK - how would I deal with it? Will MSI for example deal with that, in another country?
Any help would be appreciated :)!

Last edited:
Caporegime
YOUR BASKET
1 x HIS HD 7950 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Sleeping Dogs, Nexuiz, Dirt Showdown & CODMW2 PC Games £239.99
Total : £250.79 (includes shipping : £9.00).

Is a no brainer. A simple case of moving a couple of sliders and you will surpass any OC selling card and many guys here will help if you are stuck at all. The free games help make this an even sweeter deal :) and as for the 660TI competing with the 7950, clock the 7950 and it will leave the 660TI behind in more or less all games.

Edit:

Just read reviews and James of St helens is exagerating slightly as I game @ 5760*1080 and run 680's in SLI and in ultra, I can't maintain anywhere near 60FPS in BF3 and he can with a single 7950....:D

Last edited:
Associate
YOUR BASKET
1 x HIS HD 7950 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Sleeping Dogs, Nexuiz, Dirt Showdown & CODMW2 PC Games £239.99

Is a no brainer. A simple case of moving a couple of sliders and you will surpass any OC selling card and many guys here will help if you are stuck at all. The free games help make this an even sweeter deal :)

Totally agree with this.

On a side note, what is your opinion on the Gigabite Windforce version, model number GV-R795WF3-3GD. It is currently not available on OC, so do a search in google and let me know what you guys think of it?

Associate
OP
YOUR BASKET

Is a no brainer. A simple case of moving a couple of sliders and you will surpass any OC selling card and many guys here will help if you are stuck at all. The free games help make this an even sweeter deal :) and as for the 660TI competing with the 7950, clock the 7950 and it will leave the 660TI behind in more or less all games.

thanks for the feedback - but I heard the "his" GFX's are to be avoided for warranties.

As for games - why do people say nvidia is the choice or better for bf3?

FYI:
I bought BF3 today from origin :p

Soldato
Clocks, bus speeds, and mem size is a poor way to measure AMD cards against Nvidia cards as they're completely different architectures.

I would be more tempted to get the 7950 due to it's overclocking headroom. You can easily get 1ghz+ on the core and is more worth the money. MSI support is also UK based if I remember correctly, so if you have any problems the support should be quick and simple. There's also a MSI representative on OcUK ;).

However if the games you play prefer Nvidia, then go for the 660 Ti.

Associate
OP
Totally agree with this.

On a side note, what is your opinion on the Gigabite Windforce version, model number GV-R795WF3-3GD. It is currently not available on OC, so do a search in google and let me know what you guys think of it?

haha!
That's one i have short-listed but didn't post it simply due to not being available on OCUK - but yes that's in my mind too - with the other 3.

Associate
OP
Clocks, bus speeds, and mem size is a poor way to measure AMD cards against Nvidia cards as they're completely different architectures.

I would be more tempted to get the 7950 due to it's overclocking headroom. You can easily get 1ghz+ on the core and is more worth the money. MSI support is also UK based if I remember correctly, so if you have any problems the support should be quick and simple. There's also a MSI representative on OcUK ;).

However if the games you play prefer Nvidia, then go for the 660 Ti.

well I haven't gamed in ages (please don't hate me :p) on the PC - I've been on the Xbox.

I might start getting back into gaming - but I'm actually getting the card as a way of being future-proof if anything.

As for games preferring Nvidia - is there a reason behind it?
ie. why bf3 supposedly runs better on it vs amd?
I'm not sure on that one, would love some explaining :D

Caporegime
thanks for the feedback - but I heard the "his" GFX's are to be avoided for warranties.

As for games - why do people say nvidia is the choice or better for bf3?

FYI:
I bought BF3 today from origin :p

BF3 is better on Nvidia cards but since AMD have pulled their fingers out, they have seriously closed the gap in performance on BF3 especially.

I also am a fan of checking out warranties and check this out for piece of mind :)

3graphicscardwarrantyso.jpg

Associate
well I haven't gamed in ages (please don't hate me :p) on the PC - I've been on the Xbox.

I might start getting back into gaming - but I'm actually getting the card as a way of being future-proof if anything.

As for games preferring Nvidia - is there a reason behind it?
ie. why bf3 supposedly runs better on it vs amd?
I'm not sure on that one, would love some explaining :D

In the AMD vs Nvidia thread, people state yes BF3 runs better using Nvidia but the difference compared to AMD is marginal. Might be different for other games.

Associate
OP
BF3 is better on Nvidia cards but since AMD have pulled their fingers out, they have seriously closed the gap in performance on BF3 especially.

I also am a fan of checking out warranties and check this out for piece of mind :)

Check that thread - last reply is from me :p!
It is useful to know where and how - but does that means it works internationally again or not?

I think tomorrow is decision day for me - I'll be calling them to ask them.

Out of interest and OT - how does one RMA ASUS motherboards?
I absolutely hate asus btw.

In the AMD vs Nvidia thread, people state yes BF3 runs better using Nvidia but the difference compared to AMD is marginal. Might be different for other games.

so if it is marginal - and we look at pure specs and long-run, it would seem my/our assumption is correct on the 7950?

Caporegime
Well my recommendation was for the HIS (which I stand by) and that states "2 year warranty (if bought from OcUK, they will deal with the warranty even in the second year, so should be no more than 3 - 5 days).

Unless you intend on buying from else where, then I have no idea sorry.

Associate
OP
Well my recommendation was for the HIS (which I stand by) and that states "2 year warranty (if bought from OcUK, they will deal with the warranty even in the second year, so should be no more than 3 - 5 days).

Unless you intend on buying from else where, then I have no idea sorry.

Thanks!

Just put model number in search engine - job done :)

I did do bro

Associate
Back
Top Bottom