• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 770 vs GTX 1050 Ti

Associate

Finally got my grubby paws on a mates 1050Ti. Its A £165 Msi twin frozr and I couldn't help running a few tests against my recently bought £80 GTX 770 - again an MSI twin Frozr variant.

1024.png

GTX 770

1024.png

GTX 1050Ti

It's a beautifully built card but at the price of struggling to see the point. Twice the price of the 770, near identical performance and actually more expensive than something like the better performing RX 470. Its a shame, as the card would be an absolute stormer at a much lower price point.

Nicely produced video but I might have missed it but surely the 770 was brought second hand which is often a can of worms. So warranty on a new 1050ti is a big factor to many buyers.

And you brushed over the fact you had to lower texture quality in GTA V to stop it saturating the 770. This is one of those things that will just get worse moving forward.

Texture quality is one of those settings that have a big impact on image quality but little on performance just by having a card with more vram.

Having had an OC 680 a few years back that I felt needed upgrading because I was running out of vram too often in newly released games I couldn't recommend a 2gb card going forward if your hoping to play newly released games.

Can't argue with your conclusion on value for money, especially on the games you played that are a bit older as like you say when they came out the 770 would have been a mid-high end card.

Nicely produced video but I might have missed it but surely the 770 was brought second hand which is often a can of worms. So warranty on a new 1050ti is a big factor to many buyers.

And you brushed over the fact you had to lower texture quality in GTA V to stop it saturating the 770. This is one of those things that will just get worse moving forward.

Texture quality is one of those settings that have a big impact on image quality but little on performance just by having a card with more vram.

Having had an OC 680 a few years back that I felt needed upgrading because I was running out of vram too often in newly released games I couldn't recommend a 2gb card going forward if your hoping to play newly released games.

Can't argue with your conclusion on value for money, especially on the games you played that are a bit older as like you say when they came out the 770 would have been a mid-high end card.

Thanks for the input :)

Yeah, I probably should have pointed out a bit more about the VRAM limit being a bit of a hindrance going forward.

To be perfectly honest, I really like the GTX 1050Ti and as has been mentioned by other folks the performance to power ratio is very good. It's just a shame about the price - especially the higher end skus which are on par with the more powerful Rx470

Perhaps it's a tad unrealistic that someone in the market for a £80 gpu would even be considering a £165 one though but it's always nice to see there are other options out there for those with not a whole lot of money to spend.

personally i would buy the gtx 1050ti just because of the extra vram and newer tech
but if you want bang for buck get two gtx 770s sli them and maybe gain that extra performance on games which support SLI

If your friend bought a 1050Ti for £165 then he's a fool. That's RX470 money. Heck, the 1060 3GB has been available for as little as £170 recently (and the 480 4GB as low as £190).

The 1050Ti is available from £125, and ceases to be decent value at £150. It would be more reasonable to suggest that the 1050Ti is £50 more expensive than your card. For the extra, you get a card that is brand new, runs cooler, consumes considerably less power and has double the VRAM (a point which would have become apparent had you not doctored the GTAV benchmark). I'd say that makes the value proposition of both cards fairly level TBH.

Both the 1050 and 1050Ti are relatively underpowered for this generation though. Their USP is low power draw. In terms of power/performance, the RX470, RX480 and GTX 1060 are simply better.

Last edited:
If your friend bought a 1050Ti for £165 then he's a fool. That's RX470 money. Heck, the 1060 3GB has been available for as little as £170 recently (and the 480 4GB as low as £190).

The 1050Ti is available from £125, and ceases to be decent value at £150. It would be more reasonable to suggest that the 1050Ti is £50 more expensive than your card. For the extra, you get a card that is brand new, runs cooler, consumes considerably less power and has double the VRAM (a point which would have become apparent had you not doctored the GTAV benchmark). I'd say that makes the value proposition of both cards fairly level TBH.

Both the 1050 and 1050Ti are relatively underpowered for this generation though. Their USP is low power draw. In terms of power/performance, the RX470, RX480 and GTX 1060 are simply better.

Is there still a 1050Ti available for £125? Can't seem to see one anywhere!

The older coolers looks way way better than the new ones I might be slightly biased but the newer gaming cards vs the cooler on the 980ti lightning, the new cards look awful.

Aren't they all plastic now as well? The old cooler were all metal and feel very solid.

There's a lot of great options for <100 used GPUs tho. Got a 4gb AMD 380 for 80 myself. I think if you don't care about the power cables & can buy from a reputable place (like this forum's member's market) then going used makes a lot more sense than buying low-end new cards.

GTX 1050 Ti is a waste of money go for the GTX 1050 it can handle any PC game up to 1920x1080 with ease! Bought one for a relatives xmas build amazed how well it handles every recent PC game for £107 :eek:

Back
Top Bottom