• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 GK110

Soldato
is the '85 card a dual or just a new single GPU flagship?

I'm not saying it's guaranteed, I just saw this, it's all speculation so don't take anything I say as being factual. But if the 685GTX _DID_ come out, it would be a single GPU card, with the 690 name kept for the dual GPU.

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12673/
GTX685SpecsComparison.jpg

Soldato
As for this rumour about the 780 it's not the fact that i might be missing out on a superior gpu months down the line...(performance of current top end is fine for me) it's just that price reduction would most likely be huge...and i'll of gotten badly ripped off.

And what's new?

It's always been like that. The corporate machine rolls on running over any one stupid enough to get in its way.

This is the last GPU I am every buying (my 7970). If a console can't run FSAA then I am going to go back into my audiophile stuff.

Permabanned
I doubt we will see 680 GTX price drops and if we do it will be £5.00.. The only time PC's gfx's card will be stressed is when consoles get an upgrade (PS4 and the new Xbox) until then a 480GTX will still run most games at 1920. But me being me bought a u2711.. Best buy ever in a monitor respect but takes so much power to run :(

Caporegime
I doubt we will see 680 GTX price drops and if we do it will be £5.00.. The only time PC's gfx's card will be stressed is when consoles get an upgrade (PS4 and the new Xbox) until then a 480GTX will still run most games at 1920. But me being me bought a u2711.. Best buy ever in a monitor respect but takes so much power to run :(

I agree here. As soon as they make games for the PS4 and Xbox720 us PC gamers will get lazy ports as usual and need a card that has the power of He-Man.

GTA IV anyone?

Associate
OP

Yeh did the same thing and got that monitor, you noticed the heat it produces?

Associate
Although it's been difficult, I'm waiting to see what the GK110 variant is going to bring to the table.

I appreciate that Nvidia are a business, but I feel slightly irked that they are peddling their mid range card for a premium price - although this could be a symptom of my impatience.

Soldato
Although it's been difficult, I'm waiting to see what the GK110 variant is going to bring to the table.

I appreciate that Nvidia are a business, but I feel slightly irked that they are peddling their mid range card for a premium price - although this could be a symptom of my impatience.

Sadly, we'd all do the same thing if we ran Nvidia :(

Associate
I want to get a 680 so bad right now, but news of the GTX 685 in august, or rumours I should say, is stopping me. Just like many others I don't want to pay £400+ just for the mid range card and a few months later, it becomes obsolete. Such is life in the PC world...

Associate
On Nvidia's original roadmap they were suggesting GK110 would be released at the end of the year, and looking at the size of the core I'd well imagine the issues they are reported to have are responsible.

A huge monolithic core attached to a 512bit memory interface? Based on the prices of the current top range cards, the 685/780 will be £500+ easily. All we can do is pray that a price war between the 7970 and the 680 brings down what the 685/780 can sell at

Associate
Dont think we are going to see a 780GTX this year. FEB 2013 yeah.

You got to understand that relasing a 780gtx would leave no room for a 690GTX - aka dual chip card. And Dual chip card is much more $$$ economical. 780GTX is a pipedream.

Soldato
Dont think we are going to see a 780GTX this year. FEB 2013 yeah.

You got to understand that relasing a 780gtx would leave no room for a 690GTX - aka dual chip card. And Dual chip card is much more $$$ economical. 780GTX is a pipedream.

I think we will, maybe towards the end of the year, and I heard the dual chip card is about a month or so away !

Buy the way, Welcome to the forums :) (impressed you found an unused username) :D

Soldato
I want to get a 680 so bad right now, but news of the GTX 685 in august, or rumours I should say, is stopping me. Just like many others I don't want to pay £400+ just for the mid range card and a few months later, it becomes obsolete. Such is life in the PC world...

It's not going to become "obsolete" it just won't be (arguably) the best card anymore. It's still going to perform as well as if does now.

As soon as a new card is out there's something new on the horizon; just don't get stuck in the cycle of constantly waiting for the next generation. Buy when you need to upgrade - unless a new release in your price range is imminent.

Soldato
Gcards are renewed every 6-9 months ffs. You'll be forever waiting. How many people waited for Keplar and now are waiting for 7XX series? Jesus, just upgrade and enjoy the games. In 6-9 months there may not be anymore PC games anyway lol!

Associate
Gcards are renewed every 6-9 months ffs. You'll be forever waiting. How many people waited for Keplar and now are waiting for 7XX series? Jesus, just upgrade and enjoy the games. In 6-9 months there may not be anymore PC games anyway lol!

Yeah, or life on earth could be wiped out with a meteor storm or something, what a waste of waiting that would be.

*Has a real urge to replace 2 x 4890’s with a single 680 and not wait on something faster

Caporegime
Waiting for PC hardware is futile...Unless one is in the know and can see an upgrade path within weeks.

Keplar is here and people are waiting for keplar lol

Madness

Buy a 680 then soak up the pain when the 685 or the 7xx gets released just before christmas lol

Soldato
Here's an idea:

1. Upgrade now at £450;
2. Save around £200 over a period of 6-9 months;
3. When a new and faster card comes out, sell your current one
4. Use the money earned + money saved to buy the new one
5. Repeat steps 2-4 ad infinitum (subject to RPI)

Stop WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

I can put this into a flow diagram using Visio if you wish??

Back
Top Bottom