• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 GK110

Soldato
I love speculation! :)

Maybe itll be called the 689.9999 (not quiet a 690 but single GPU Yo!) edition with 4GB of ram, a 512bit interface and a core that measures 50billion transistors.

Supplied with a toasting wrack and a fleet of top end games such as pacman and rayman 2!

As Gibbo has said, these is ZERO on the road map for a more powerful single GPU this year. Only if it is required will we ever probably see it.

If this GK110/GK100 does indeed exist then itll no doubt be left for the likes of quadro given the 28nm success rate at the fabs.

Caporegime
Here's an idea:

1. Upgrade now at £450;
2. Save around £200 over a period of 6-9 months;
3. When a new and faster card comes out, sell your current one
4. Use the money earned + money saved to buy the new one
5. Repeat steps 2-4 ad infinitum (subject to RPI)

Stop WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

I can put this into a flow diagram using Visio if you wish??

Thats called the easyrider shuffle;)

Don't do it anymore tho....saw the light :p

Caporegime
As Gibbo has said, these is ZERO on the road map for a more powerful single GPU this year. Only if it is required will we ever probably see it.

If this GK110/GK100 does indeed exist then itll no doubt be left for the likes of quadro given the 28nm success rate at the fabs.

We are drip fed technology hence the re naming of the 670ti to the 680

There is just no need for NV to bring out a faster card at this time.

Even though it already exists.

Soldato
Supplied with a toasting wrack and a fleet of top end games such as pacman and rayman 2!

Will this be a branded toasted rack? I'd like to see a partnership with George Foreman!

On one hand its great that their midrange card can kick ass, I just wished they priced it a little better - not that they would want to kill all other card sales (like the 580..etc)

I'm 50/50 as to wait for a new card, only got the 580 a few months back, I am not keen on sli - always had problems with it - plus would need a psu jump aswell for these - I will most likely wait for the oc editions to be released, sell my 580 and jump on the 680 bandwagon in time for diablo 3!

Soldato
If there's the potential for anything higher than 20% faster than the 690 then nvidia will cripple the initial release, wait 9-12 months then release the full fat card at a premium to entice the serial upgraders.

I'm sure AMD could have pushed the 79xx series faster or specced them better, but it's in their business interests to only makes them slightly faster than the top end card so they have headroom to reelase a faster product with a higher price point at a later date. I'm sure NVidia could release the 690 or 780 or whatever they want to call it and make it 50% faster than anything available right now if they put their mind to it, but they won't so they can trickle the cards and the updates and make more money.

this is a really confusing mess, from what i understand there is no 690 coming out or a 685 etc.

it's the 780 and 790 only...... but i'm not 100%, these are both out this summer, it's very confusing because most of this speculation/ performance graphs etc, were from late last year or early this year..... because the current 680 was going to be called originally the 780, something like that.

the 780 is supposed to be 50% faster than the old 580..... and the 790; 65% faster than the 590....... so it looks like they're trying to bury AMD alive, but to me it seems odd that they're releasing this 680 and a future 780 that are too close together in time plus in performance.... the 790 yea that makes sense.

but this 780 will make the 680 redundant in only a few months time, because all you lot will want this one, so why the hell did they release this 680 for.

unless of course all of this is BS and nothing is coming out

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont need one, the dual CPU GTX 790 is much less than 650W.....it's less than the current 590 :cool:

it's about 400 W

If you want to overclock your CPU as well I wouldn't go with a dual GPU card wih that PSU. You're asking for trouble. 750W minimum for SLI/crossfire in my opinion.

Read review sites - it isn't just me saying that. Otherwise settle for a single GPU card.

Permabanned
Here's an idea:

1. Upgrade now at £450;
2. Save around £200 over a period of 6-9 months;
3. When a new and faster card comes out, sell your current one
4. Use the money earned + money saved to buy the new one
5. Repeat steps 2-4 ad infinitum (subject to RPI)

Stop WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

I can put this into a flow diagram using Visio if you wish??

This is mad, but i'm a complete ******* nutter so i'll be flogging my 680 to get a 780 and so on....... who cares if it's expensive, I just want the fastest mother ******* card on the planet. :D:D:D

Soldato
If you want to overclock your CPU as well I wouldn't go with a dual GPU card wih that PSU. You're asking for trouble. 750W minimum for SLI/crossfire in my opinion.

Read review sites - it isn't just me saying that. Otherwise settle for a single GPU card.

lets end this now, because it's starting to get tiresome :-

GTX 590, using both onboard GPUs simultaneously
Idle: 186 watts. GPUs at 36 and 34 degrees.
Application start: 400 Watts. 40 and 40 degrees.
Application end: 428 Watts. 80 and 75 degrees.
Run time: 272 seconds

it means the full GTX590 is using about 275 Watts at full load when running both GPUs. Even this value is too large since that's wall socket power, so actual GPU use is likely around 250 watts at full load. This is a very very large and comfortable margin compared to the 375 Watt design limit given by card's maximum PCIE power input.

Summary: The dual GTX 590 works in CUDA as expected. It's great. For CUDA apps the card won't use more than 275 Watts even for intense and sustained loads.

i keep reading similar, you're talking about SLI/ Crossfire, two separate cards, the dual CPU card draws far less

Associate
better to wait it out a couple of months i think for the non reference 4gb with improved phase power theyll have a higher roof for overclocks and still be energy effieciant.

http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Galaxy-Readying-4GB-and-Hall-Fame-Edition-GTX-680-GPUs
Galaxy 4GB 'Hall Of Fame Edition' GTX 680 <--white PCB
-- due out may

http://www.evga.com/articles/00669/#GTX680Classified
EVGA GTX 680 4GB -- *** & Classified
-- due around may (forum evga staff mentioned aprox dates as sc is due matter of weeks)

Point Of View / TGT GeForce GTX 680 BeastTM featuring TGT's award winning HyperCopperTM slim line water cooling.
--- (650 euro) ---due shortly ...weeks away

then the usual Asus DirectCU and MSI Lightning versions
--- due may/june

then theres the dual gk104 chip cards
theyll be what the gtx590 should have been ..highly overclockable ..fast..low heat and low power consuption ;)

me i think i can wait just a little longer but for most non speed freaks a 680 is highly recommended :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
heres a translated article which goes in depth about how the gk110 could be the gtx685 but most likely the 700 series and how nvidia made a mistake and in earlier models of the gtx680 they forgot to update the profiles pdf
gtx 680 was shown as gtx 670 ti

translated
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://vga.zol.com.cn/282/2822324.html&ei=wWlxT67mAoHb8APBmuwo&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CGEQ7gEwBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgk110%2Bnvidia%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D1105%26tbs%3Dqdr:d%26prmd%3Dimvns

non translated
http://vga.zol.com.cn/282/2822324.html

take that as you will :p

Back
Top Bottom