• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 Low FPS?

Associate
Hi all,

You'll have to excuse my limited knowledge on computer hardware but I'm hoping you will be able to help me out.

My computer is about 3 years old and due to passing my exams my parents have treated me to 2 new evga gtx680 graphics cards to upgrade my system. I've managed to install them all fine etc except im getting really poor results for some reason and I can't figure out why?

On Battlefield 3 I'm getting around 10-20fps on high settings and ultra is totally unplayable. A friend told me to run 3DMark Vantage to see what score I got and it was 11,021 which I'm not sure is good or bad?

I'm starting to wonder if my new graphics cards are faulty and wondering if I should return them or not? All my drivers and windows are fully up to date so any help would be much appreciated.

My system is:

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.40 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA775
RAM: 2GB 1333MHz (Unsure of brand)
Graphics: 2x EVGA GTX680
PSU: Corsair Professional Series AX1200 High Performance 1200W
Case: Antec 1200

Many thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Thank you for all the replies I didn't expect so many when I came back on. Some great advice that is appreciated!

I have removed 1 card from my system and thought I'd have a go at overclocking my cpu like Sin Chase recommended. My first time really modifying anything like this so I asked a friend to help with it.

We followed a guide on the internet and changed the voltage in the bios. I wanted it to be as quick as possible so we tried changing it from 1.2v to 2.0v but then when it restarted nothing happened. Then we noticed a small amount of smoke coming out by the cpu and it turns out you can't really go that high!

So now I need a new cpu anyway so I'm going to sell 1 graphics card and do what you kind people have advised with new motherboard, cpu and RAM. Most likely go with recommended intel i5!

Associate
OP
Well it seems I've stepped on some peoples toes here or something. I created an account on this forum to ask for genuine advice on upgrading an old system, and instead I'm getting abuse. I've already been bullied enough throughout my life and I certainly did not expect to receive these kind of replies.

However, thank you to the people who did help - it has helped me big time and the parts are now on order. I will certainly be avoiding more modifying as I don't think it's a good idea for someone with my knowledge!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom