Gunna jump ship........

Soldato
Hey

So i was waiting for the Nikon mirrorless camera to come out to way up my options, and im not overly impressed, especially up agianst the A7 III.

So i think i am going to jump ship and join the Sony mirrorless train.

I currently have:
D700 (currently on the bay)
D810
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Nikon 85mm 1.8
Sigma 35mm 1.4
Sigma 105mm 2.8
SB-900

I just think the way things currently are its a good time to sell my Nikon gear a buy Sony (keep my Sigma's and buy the convertor) and sell everything else.

I really like what i have read and seen with regards to the Sony and cant think of a reason not to buy it.

Ive had a D40, D40X, D90, D300S and the 2 above so its gunna be a bit of a shock shooting with another brand, but my friend and I have built a nice little side business shooting weddings tut tut-schizo and want to keep up with new tech and the A7 III looks amazing.

So any reason not too, but also what which Flash and equivilent lenes to replace the 2 Nikons above?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I think if I was a wedding photographer I would go with Sony at the moment for the eye autofocus alone :)

I'm not a wedding photographer and because I mainly do landscapes, wildlife etc often in pretty bad weather I just can't buy a Sony due to their lack of weather sealing.

I'll probably pick up a Sony up at some stage soon for something different to have play with, I'm quite interested in trying one for video.

I was interested in the Nikon mirrorless but I a disappointed with what has been shown so far, but I will try one when I can.

At the moment for me there is no camera better or can offer me anything over my D850.

Who knows maybe Canon will surprise everyone and announce something amazing but I can't see that based on their recent offerings.

Caporegime
I just dont; see what you would gain at all. The D810 is one of the bets cameras ever made, and I would much rather shoot a camera with that then any of the Sony mirrorless cameras.

The Nikon mirrorles cameras are a mixed bag but look pretty similar to the Sony A73. IT is very early days, no proper reviews yet.

More to the point, I donl;t see the need to go mirrorless yet. the technology is still in its infancy, it doesn't offer any real advantages over a DSLR at this point. IMO, stick with what you have, perhaps replace D700 with D850. Wait another few years and then see the state of the market. Hopefully by then mirrorless cameras have improved enough from either manufacturer to be a better contender.

Soldato
OP
Im with Jase re the Auto focus system

D.P I understand what your saying, im still fighting the urge to do this, there is absolutley nothing wrong with the kit I have, its kinda like ' If it aint broke, dont fix it'

SSauce @ £200 you'd hope not :eek:

ps. Sorry schizo

Caporegime
im still fighting the urge to do this, there is absolutley nothing wrong with the kit I have, its kinda like ' If it aint broke, dont fix it'

If everything you have does the job fine then ask yourself 'if it is worth switching?'. Have you done some in-depth research and made an actual list of the actual benefits it will bring, instead of just simply posting here and expecting everyone to do all of your research for you? Same goes for the lenses, you can easily look at the list of Sony lenses on their site and then check online/Youtube reviews and see what suits you best. :)

Soldato
OP
If everything you have does the job fine then ask yourself 'if it is worth switching?'. Have you done some in-depth research and made an actual list of the actual benefits it will bring, instead of just simply posting here and expecting everyone to do all of your research for you? Same goes for the lenses, you can easily look at the list of Sony lenses on their site and then check online/Youtube reviews and see what suits you best. :)

Wowsers why so salty?, no not looking for anyone to do reasearch for me, its the auto focus system and eye tracking, and the weight difference that has really drawn me to these camera's especially as i mostly shoot weddings.

Like I have said in the opening post I have read and watched a lot of reviews with regards to the A7III and R III, by posting I was hoping for people in a similar situation or have already swaped from Nikon/Canon to Sony, and would share there experience, and share what lenses they are using (equivilent to what they were using etc)...This would be a huge switch and a costly one at that, so i'd like an open discussion with regards to it, thats what forums like this are for ..right?

Caporegime
Wowsers why so salty?, no not looking for anyone to do reasearch for me, its the auto focus system and eye tracking, and the weight difference that has really drawn me to these camera's especially as i mostly shoot weddings.

Like I have said in the opening post I have read and watched a lot of reviews with regards to the A7III and R III, by posting I was hoping for people in a similar situation or have already swaped from Nikon/Canon to Sony, and would share there experience, and share what lenses they are using (equivilent to what they were using etc)...This would be a huge switch and a costly one at that, so i'd like an open discussion with regards to it, thats what forums like this are for ..right?

Salty? Lets not use silly and irrelevant Americanisms in an adult discussion. Ok anyway, so now you are finally providing a little more information when prompted. From the research you have done, can you also tell us which Sony FE lenses you already identified as being top of your list for replacing your current line-up? :)

Soldato
OP
These 2 to replace my Nikon lenses, assumng the Sony Sigma adaptor is a viable purchase for my 2 aformentioned Sigma lenses.

Sony E-Mount Zeiss Sonnar 55mm Lens FE F1.8 ZA
Sony FE 85mm lens f/1.8 E-Mount Mid-Telephoto Prime

The 2 above seem to be the closest lenses to what I already carry.

Caporegime
These 2 to replace my Nikon lenses, assumng the Sony Sigma adaptor is a viable purchase for my 2 aformentioned Sigma lenses.

I have the 55mm f1.8 and am extremely disappointed with it. The first copy I had was super soft, and the second copy I have is also nowhere as tack sharp as the reviews led me to believe. It could be that I got a second bad copy, but I certainly do not consider it good enough for the studio stuff I do and will be looking to either replace it again or just sell it and try a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8as other than the f stop it can't be any worse.

The 85mm f1.8 is an awesome lens, insanely sharp and my favorite lens. For the money it performs outstandingly.

Caporegime

If you are serious about moving to Sony then I would;nt even entertain the diea of keeping Nikon mount Sigma lenses and hoping an adapter will work.

Associate

All of the Nikon adaptors for the Sony system are junk.

Caporegime
You can replace all those lenses on the Sony, the only downside it will cost you a pretty penny, but if you get Sigma 35/1.4 you’ll be fine.

The 50/1.4 Zeiss on the Sony is very expensive but it’s also the best 50mm I’ve every tried / had. This includes all the ones you can get on the Canon.

Soldato
OP
All of the Nikon adaptors for the Sony system are junk.

OK, so this is not an option, I did read that Sigma will convert your existing mount?

So i could send off my 2 Sigmas to Sigma, and they change them to an Sony 'E' mount, any idea if that's a thing.... if it is cost will be cheaper than re-buying the lenses .... surley?

I have just got home from a wedding shoot and all i could think of was how much easier it would have been with the Sony, given the auto focus and face/eye tracking goodness that they have going on, not that I dont enjoy using my D810, but moving the focus points around and composing your shots can be a pain, of course I have got used to it, but ive also missed shots because of it, with the Sony this (it seems) will no longer be an issue.

I think I know what I am going to do, if you have any thoughts about the above, please let me know. Thank you all for your time and thoughts regarding this post :)

Associate
As per my first response to the post - yes, Sigma will convert your existing lenses, but expect to pay around £200 per conversion - and they'll only do it if your lenses are in good condition. You might find it cheaper to sell privately and buy the native e-mount versions (you may not however).

Soldato
OP
As per my first response to the post - yes, Sigma will convert your existing lenses, but expect to pay around £200 per conversion - and they'll only do it if your lenses are in good condition. You might find it cheaper to sell privately and buy the native e-mount versions (you may not however).

Mine are both Mint condition, so this is a very viable option, so thank you for confirming ;)

Back
Top Bottom