Gutter Brushes

Soldato
Evening All,

Moved recently and previous owner has put gutter brushes in, with the recent rain it's highlighted the need to clean the gutters.

Perhaps these were just not cleaned regularly enough but all they seem to have done is collect moss and sludge and worsen draining.

I've removed some, the others will follow. I would rather clean them more regularly and more quickly, than less regularly and more slowly.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

xRJlihAl.jpg

When I moved into my current home the gutters were full of moss and this also blocked two soakaways.

Once I treated the roof that stopped the moss and for the past three years there is basically nothing in the gutters.

We've got the floplast gutter guards. They basically sit flat on the top of the gutter and stop the moss blocking the whole thing.

They've been in for 5 years and the gutters have only just needed cleaning. I'd suggest they are a decent interim thing, but aren't perfect.

Our house had them. I'm not sure whether they helped or not. I mean they got caped in moss and leaves as expected. I once took them out to clean them and blast them down and decided it was too much of a faff so binned them off. Not seen any adverse effects other than the gutters look better for not having them as you could see them over hang a bit.

Once in a very long time I get up there, remove the end caps and just hose out any built up moss.
Those filters and the like just make more work imo.

isn't moss displacement seasonal - for the last few weeks with the rain - many lumps of moss have jumped off the roof, across gutter onto paving
otherwise, have just gone up on the ladder with a bucket, brush and cut plastic bottle to scoop other stuff out,
I don't know whether dismantling down tubes near soakaway would reveal a lot of crud though ?

I don't know whether dismantling down tubes near soakaway would reveal a lot of crud though ?

When I moved I found the down pipes, some areas of underground pipe and two soakaways clogged with dirt from broken down moss. I had to dig up a lot of the drive to fix that.

Some of the better gutter protectors would have helped, but I decided to fix the root cause and end the moss by treating the roof. Now I just use down pipe entry protectors to stop the odd leaf that may end up in the gutter. A roof treatment every 2.5 to 3 years in fine and I usually only clean out the minimal dirt in the gutters then. Others bonuses are there are no more birds making noise by pecking at the moss, no more sweeping it off the drive and patio and it also reduces damage to the roof.

I had my gutters replaced last year... I asked the guy about these as they seemed like a good idea...

He could have easily upsold them to me but he basically said don't bother /more hassle than they are worth, you're better off just with 'normal' open gutters and get them cleaned as and when needed.

Annecdotal but there you go.

Unless your house is under a tree or something I think generally normal guttering is self cleaning as and when big down pours happen. Assuming you have correct fall on everything.

The problem is what happens to the muck in the gutters especially if you have moss on your roof (also falls aren't that much on guttering). This just clogs soakaways and pipework, hence my preference to prevent the moss, lichen rather than collect it with gutter brushes or trays which do at least stop most of it going down the pipework, but then clog up themselves.

Back
Top Bottom