Gym Rats 2012 Awards

Man of Honour
Along side the great tradition of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award, it's time for the Gym Rats awards! And as we did it last year, it would make sense. And it's good to reward those who have put in a lot of work and dedication.

Some truly inspirational people on this forum. From people who just blow me away with their strength, and people who have just started and made great progress to people who make this forum a great place to go for knowledge on a whole host of areas. And it's only fair these people are rewarded

I'm also going to add a category this year for "Most Improved Lifts"

Also, it's worth noting I'm going to price up some trophies and will hand them out at the meet for those attending. Just for you to have a trophy to show for your epic title :D Even if I can't get trophies, every winner will get a small prize, I'll make sure of it

Gym Rat of the Year: This award is for someone who has been a credit to the Gym rats community, maybe did something that really inspired you by competing or going through a hardship to overcome something. Maybe it's someone on the boards who you just admire, it could be anything
Most Improved Physique:
Most Improved Lifts:
Best Contributor: This is the award for someone who contributes knowledge and help to others consistently and can always be relied on for giving information and help to others.
Best Physique:

So I'll kick it off with:

Gym Rat of the Year: For me this is Delvis, second year in a row I've voted for him. Reason? Well the guy gets so much stick, some of it banter, some if darn right cruel, but he never gets put off and always comes back determined to prove people wrong. And as much as I love giving him some stick, the guy is a bit of an inspiration really for keeping going

Most Improved Physique: Temi_d. The progress in a year is incredible and probably the best I've seen for someone unassisted

Most Improved Lifts: icecold, controversialI know as he's always been strong. But everytime I see his log, he's breaking a new PB or setting some ridiculous amount of volume at high weights. The guy is an animal and an absolute legend

Best Contributor: Ultra_Extreme, I think his "tell it like it is" attitude is brilliant, he doesn't beat around the bush and often tells someone something that others are maybe too polite to say. He's certainly given a kick up the backside to a few members that have needed it. And he's been more than happy to help too when he can with his knowledge, either through posts or videos

Best Physique: Going to go look back at the Post your pics thread, as there are about 3 people who I need to choose between

And just a recap on last years winners:

2011 Most improved Physique:
tom_e (5 votes)

2011 Best Contributor:
icecold (9 Votes)

2011 Best Physique:
Freefaller (9 votes)

2011 Gym Rat of the Year:
Steedie (8 votes)

Happy voting guys

Last edited:
Also there's still 3 weeks left of the year, during which I will be going for PB's! So it's perhaps a little premature thread.

But it will take a couple of weeks for everyone to see and vote no doubt, plus I need to sort prizes.

And the winners will be announced before the end of the year anyway, maybe around the week of Christmas :)

Also give reasons for your votes if you can guys :)

I'm not just voting for him because he takes stick, I'm voting for him because despite people constantly taking the **** and making out like he's not really getting anywhere, his attitude towards trying to improve and always seeking advice to help him prove these people wrong is admirable.

His work ethic in the gym might be questionable by some, but his enthusiasm and his approach to wanting to improve is better than the vast majority on here. I'm guilty myself of ripping it out of him at times, but rather than sulk and act like a child or take it to heart, he'll email me or ask me on Facebook what he can do about it. That's a pretty damn good quality to have in this game, as most people can't and don't want to take criticism. They'll post pics and vids all day long in the hope of positive feedback and praise, but when they get criticism, they get defensive or upset. I don't see that too much from him, he always seems genuinely appreciative of feedback, good or bad

And also, whether its regurgitated info or not, he's always willing to help new posters or old with issues. His post count goes up at an alarming rate, but that's mostly because of posting in SA threads, which again, is credit to his enthusiasm to learn, contribute and participate. Granted some of his posts are absolute **** at times

Last edited:
Well boys and girls, it's that time of year again...

Welcome, to the annual OcUK Gym Rats Awards.

And what a year it has been, we've had personal bests left right and centre, some times it's been so hard to keep up with it that it actually left tom_e in a coma, unable to update the score board regularly. Fortunately we had a volunteer in Cristian come in, who was able to keep up with the updates due to his IV drip of Pulse, he ain't playin' around folks. So an honourable mention to Cristian for the work he put in in keeping our PBs logged and totalled.

And lets not mention all our competitors on the boards. Be it Djdom, icecold, LiE or any one else who put themselves through the discipline and torture of contest prep and training, and then delivering on the day. They all did fantastically well, so a big mention goes out to those guys, who have inspired and motivated everyone here I'm sure.

And finally, what a year we've had in terms of new members coming into the SA and making a name for themselves quickly. Our community is growing so fast and it's fantastic to see, and it keeps everyone on their toes in terms of making sure they aren't overshadowed by the new guys. So welcome to anyone who has joined us this year.

And now, onto the awards. And we start off with the Gym Rat of the Year, this was won last year by myself. And I must admit, I didn't feel deserving of it due to my poor placing at my show, but I appreciated the recognition all the same and was very grateful to be voted for it. This year has seen THREE people in the running for this award, it's been close, but the award goes too...

Gym Rat of the Year 2012
3rd Place: icecold (4 votes)
2nd Place: Delvis (6 votes)
1st Place: Steedie (8 votes)

Our second award of the night honours that person who has changed their physique drastically over the course of this year and blown us away in terms of their transformation, their dedication and their work ethic. Last year, tom_e blew us away with his amazing weight loss journey and body transformation. But this year, the award goes too...

Most Improved Physique 2012
2nd Place: Fluttershy (1 vote)
1st Place: Temi_D (18 votes)

Massive congratulations to temi_D, well deserved and a simply stunning transformation! The amount of mass packed on in a year is outstanding, and the strength to boot! I think the standard has been well and truly set now, and people should strive to achieve this sort of transformation if they too want this award next year

The next award recognises the achievements when it comes to pushing those big numbers and breaking personal bests. Showing that will to improve their strength and climb up the leaderboards. This is a new award for this year, and there were plenty of nominations, this by no means was a walkover for anyone, but only one can win it, and this year it goes too...

Most Improved Lifts of 2012
3rd Place: icecold (3 votes)
2nd Place: LiE (6 votes)
1st Place: Djdom (8 votes)

A close category but massively deserved by dom, he competed and did brilliantly this year, and for a guy so young, his lifts are just awesome and he's only going to go upwards and onto big things. Massive congrats to Dom

Our fourth award is for that person that makes these forums the great place they are for all our members, new or old. They put the time and effort in to helping others improve and be better, while sharing the knowledge that makes them so great so that one day, others can aspire to be as great. Last year, icecold ran away with it, but will it be the same this year?

Best Contributor of 2012
3rd Place: Ultra_Extreme (3 votes)
2nd Place: Steedie (4 votes)
1st Place: icecold (13 votes)

What can I say? A landslide victory, but no one deserved this more than ice. He's a true gent and always has time for anyone no matter what the issue. He's direct when he needs to be, but he's always helpful. The guy is just an absolute legend of the boards, and imo, a Man of Honour cert. I think the amount of votes shows that my views are shared.

Our final award, but by no means the least important, is the best physique award. And this award was taken by our resident bear, Freefaller last year, in convincing style too. With him out of the running this year, it was destined to go to a new winner, but who would it turn out to be?

Best Physique of 2012
3rd Place: Temi_D/Chicco/icecold (1 vote)
2nd Place: LiE (6 votes)
1st Place: kai (9 votes)

Our resident magazine hunk kai takes this one, and well deserved, I'm sure you'll agree. Who would have thought a forum member of a computer forum would grace the magazine covers of fitness magazines for the army. An amazing achievement, and someone as thoroughly dedicated as kai is was only going to end up doing great things. Well done kai

So there we have it for another year, well done to all our winners. And for anyone who didn't win, let that be your motivation to improve and work that bit harder so one day, you too could get the glory.

Trophies will be handed out at the meet, and if you can't attend, posted to you.

Votes from people who hadn't given a final vote weren't counted, joint votes were counted as 1 each

Last edited:
4kczgw.jpg

Ready to be sent out to the winners not turning up Saturday :D

Back
Top Bottom