[H] issued team challenge for Citizen Science Grid

Associate
We are wanting to stress test the servers for the Citizen Science Grid. This will give us some final details needed for adding the project to the DC-Vault. Please join us in this endeavor. The only thing you have to do in order to participate is to create and account at the project and make sure you have associated yourself with your team. Your team founder will need to join the challenge at BOINCStats.com

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/685
Dates: 6/1-6/8
Project page: http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/

Travis (project admin) has already approved of the challenge and is hopeful for a good turnout.

Associate
Im in (Atlas is low on wu`s atm)
Always interesting seeing new names on our team we dont normally see on other projects lol, hi CrimsonBoli im chasing your tail...

Last edited:
Soldato
Deadlines are short for these work units, just 4 days. Coleslaw has said in other forums that bunkering is accepted, so a few hours into tomorrow would be the time to start. I'm going load up tomorrow morning, that way the deadlines will be up a few hours after the challenge starts.

PDW

PDW

Associate
You won't get very far with your bunkering unless you have a lot of VM's you can download and run them in. There is a limit on downloads, you get a message in the log file if you set a large cache and try to download lots.

Would work if you have a really slooooow pc though :p

PDW

PDW

Associate
There's a problem with the credits at DNA at the moment. There's a thread on their forum but Travis is enjoying the good life in Iceland at the moment so not sure when he'll see it or be able to fix it.

The sub-project totals don't add up to the overall CSG total credit so if you do DNA work you get a great big bonus added to your overall score !

For example, a granted credit of 46.29 equates to an overall increase of 358, 302 extra. Another with a credit of 86.00 equated to an increase of 645, 559 extra. The extra credit shows up in the Host's total which is either being used to create the overall total or getting its info from the same place as that for the overall total.

I would expect that the extra credit will disappear once Travis figures out why it is happening. He has the actual amount of credit that you should have so don't see why it wouldn't be dropped back though I expect some will be disappointed with their drop.

So if you want to get your credit up just do DNA work with the proviso the extra might go.

Soldato
Well clearly this isn't good for the challenge, having one sub project giving out random over inflated credit. Those realising this (including myself) will just run DNA, and those unaware are at a disadvantage and even if everyone does just run DNA because the credit is so random there's no parity between the machines crunching. I was looking forward to this challenge, feel a bit deflated now.

PDW

PDW

Associate
I don't think it is random, possibly tied to the amount of time taken to process perhaps. I think if you stick the slowest PC you have on it you'll get a huge amount of bonus credit :D

Anyway, Travis has posted to say he is looking into the problem but not helped by being away.

Has there been a challenge when all the teams ended up with less points than they started with ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
Travis has found the problem and said...

Found it, it was an old credit multiplier I had in there from awhile back. Will take a little undoing but I should have things back to normal sometime tomorrow hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom