Haggling with insurers...

Soldato
Are insurers prepared to haggle or beat the competitions price at all?

I am in the (boring) process of quoting and have found Barclays to be cheapest.

I have noticed that many insurers say "we beat any genuine quote".

Well, I was thinking of keep pushing them and pushing them. Seeing how cheap I can get it for.

What do you think?

Surely someone on here has either done or attempted this.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
i cant believe people DONT do this.

When i get a quote, they ask if i've been quoted previously. Lowest quote i have had i lop £80 off or there abouts, and screw them some more. If/when they say they can match it i then suggest that i'll take it if they'll throw in some breakdown recovery, or cash back incentive...

screw 'em over hard i say, they do us...

Soldato
OP
My Barclays quote is around £500 cheaper than NUD/Asda so they were not able to match it :(

Going to try my other best quotes now, Diamond and Bell.

Soldato
Yeah, it does work but morethan (joke tbh...) say if you have 4 years NCB they guarantee to beat your renewal premium. It went like this...

"Hi, I hear you beat like for like quotes if you have 4 years NCB"

"Yes sir, we do. What's the car?"

"Err...Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo..."

"...uhh....we...uh...don't insure those...."

"Well that's a little bit of false advertising, wouldn't you say???"

"Sorry sir, I'll put you through to Hastings, they might help"

Was not very chuffed!!!!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Kitchster_uk said:
Yeah, it does work but morethan (joke tbh...) say if you have 4 years NCB they guarantee to beat your renewal premium.

I've found all these people who say they can beat your renweal a lod of rubbish, they only offered to beat my renewal by a pound, no point moving for that :)

Soldato
Carrying on with add anyone... add coppers, insurers love them, quote originally at 1700 for a Mini Cooper 1.3i, I then added my sister (who's a cop and has pass plus) and it was just over 800, still couldn't afford it though. :o

Soldato
OP
Nobody can beat Barclays.

Do I just accept the Barclays quote or ring up and make up a quote that is £100 cheaper and see if Barclays will match it?

They claim to beat any quote.

Do they ask for proof of quote or anything?

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
jamoor said:
yeah, try adding sisters, mothers aunts even friends, you never know :D
Strangely, if I added my Mum it would go up by about £90 even though she's never made any claims and has had a license for years :confused:

Anyone know why that could be? Not particularly bothered, I was just curious when I checked.

Soldato
If you're already seen as a comparatively low risk then you're not going to see the reduction others see.

To put it in comparitively simple terms, If I'm a risk factor 10, and my mum is a risk factor 5, assuming the insurance co assume we use the car half the time each, the overall risk would be 7.5. Lets assume they then add 20% to this as their stats show cars with secondary drivers are more likely to be involved in a claim.

This brings the risk factor to 9, a reduction on my 10.

Now, let's say your insurers see you as a risk factor 7 (you're a woman :p). Your mum is a 5.

50:50 use of car, so overall risk of 6. Add the 20% "other" risk again, and the overall risk is 7.2.... a slight increase on your original 7.

It's crude, probably not accurate in the slightest, but shows you what *could* be happening to arrive at the increased premium.

When you add in factors for your age, sex, location of car, ncb, type of car, insurance group, previous claims, level of cover, excess, etc etc you can quickly see how the maths that goes on behind the scenes is rather complex and can be difficult to explain in some cases.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Ah fair enough, that makes sense thanks :)
I got a quote of about £450 last year when I was a new driver so I certainly wasn't complaining :D

Back
Top Bottom