Half Life 2 - Rock 24 SP Mod

Soldato
Hey everyone, myself and another guy thought we would have a go at creating a single player game for Half Life 2, this is the end result and we need a beer!

----

Rock 24 is a Single Player Mod for Half Life 2. This is our first mod and attempt at level design. Hope you enjoy!

Story:
After a disastrous rescue attempt to free Richard G Newell, a renowned rebel scientist, Dr. Gordon Freeman awakes to find himself locked in a holding cell on a mountainside prison facility dubbed 'Rock 24'. His new mission, locate and free the rebel scientist and escape the collapsing combine prison.

If you enjoy our mod please vote for us over at Moddb!

INFO (hl2 dev wiki)

DOWNLOAD (Filefront)

DOWNLOAD (Mega downloads)

Soldato
OP
Cool, hope you all enjoy it. It's got a few bugs and isn't perfect but we decided we wanted it out rather than spending another few weeks polishing for issues which don't really affect game play.

Any C&C, good or bad we would love to hear it!

Soldato
OP
Hey, glad you enjoyed it! We are looking to make a CS map next and then possibly another SP mod! :D

We are pretty stoked at the moment, with a lot of reviews popping up (all very good too!) and we are also listed on Fileplanet as the NO:1 mod under Half-Life!

http://www.fileplanet.com/half_life.shtml

Had an interview for a website as well last night, pretty crazy!

Vote for us over at moddb if you enjoyed it, we would really really appreciate it!

http://mods.moddb.com/7917/rock-24/

Thanks again to everyone thats played! :)

Soldato
OP
mark1 said:
Good job. It seems great so far. I haven't got that far though because i don't have a HUD. Am i meant to have one as i seem to die and yet i can't see how much health i have left.

I liked the little puzzle in the jail cell btw. I was stuck there for ages wondering wtf to do :p And also the name of the scientist 'Richard Newell' made me chuckle :D

You need to go find your HEV suit, it's in a room that's activated by flipping a switch near the combine toilets.

Soldato
OP
haha, sorry about Lauras acting! We did have a proper voice actor for that part but she never got back to us. We had to use my girlfriend and it was her first attempt at voice acting plus I didn't have a proper mic at home. I tried to fiddle with it in soundforge but it was never going to sound brilliant. :D

Thanks for all the feedback and votes, really appreciated!!

Soldato
OP
We have just been contacted by PC Games and PC Action over in Germany, looks like Rock 24 will be on cover disks over there, wohoo!

Come on PC Gamer UK... You know you want too, that would be jackpot for me having read it since being a kid. :D

Soldato
OP
Aaah cool, Andy contributed to Richards original jump suit, he made one of the Valve citizen skins orange and added rock 24 text to the breast. We liked the colour he chose so I took that along with the front logo and created the skin we have now adding text, blood and dirtying it right up, adding details so it fitted right in with the prison environment we had created.

He is on our credits as a special thanks. :)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Rock_24#Credits

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
pmbuzz said:
I reinstalled HL2 especially to play this and i wasn't disappointed.

Just finished it, great, I thoroughly enjoyed it, I got green shadows but what the hay !!
LOL at the crate full of PSP's at the end.

:D

Look forward to the next one ...........

Thanks pmbuzz, glad you enjoyed it! :D

Soldato
OP
hehe, yeah - sorry about that. We weren't too hot on the optimizing. When we were building the areas we didn't know how to properly optimize them, then when we had finished them - our understanding of optimization was good but at that point it was too late! Sorry! :)

Luckily we can be slack and rely on a good proportion of HL2 gamers who would download a mod, to have good spec machines so in that respect we kind of got away with it for the most part. ;)

Next mod will be planned with optimization well in mind from the beginning!

Soldato
OP
I saw the Steam News page when it popped up on Steam loading one day. That was great!

Also, we got in to PC Gamer UK which is one of the things I most wanted as I used to read it as a kid. :D We are also in PC Zone and some German mags too.

All in all we are really happy with the reception of Rock 24, it's done better than we both expected!

Cheers to everyone who played it!

Oh... if you're in the industry and need a level designer... ;) ;)

Back
Top Bottom