Hand brake jammed on?

Soldato
OP
Just an update:

I've pretty much left the hand brake off since the mechanic came round. Only used it twice(hills), otherwise the car is constantly left in gear.

Despite leaving it off, the car has stuck slightly a couple of times whilst reversing but releases pretty much straight away. Tonight however, it reversed back and stuck, only releasing when I drove forward. Then, on the way home I heard a noise from the back wheel followed by the car dragging for a while!

Scary stuff..... I stupidly didn't rush to book it in, as everything appeared to be ok until a couple of days ago.

Oh well, off to the garage tomorrow. I don't understand why there's still issues when the brake hasn't been on in a week?

Soldato
Because it wasn't checked over properly when it should have been probably.
What is it with half assed garages these days..

Associate
I don't understand why there's still issues when the brake hasn't been on in a week?

Its because there's a 4 inch piece of brake lining rattling around inside the drum, probably braking up into smaller parts, possibly causing more damage. This piece will still be doing what its doing, regardless of whether you've used your handbrake or not, simply because it isnt actually attached to any part of the braking system any more! Its just moving around and wedging itself inbetween the 'good' shoe (there's 2, one on each side) and the drum.

Back
Top Bottom