Handheld Gaming - Budget Options

Soldato
My wife fancies something to play games on. At the moment she plays random games on her phone, generally Tetris/puzzle style games. However they kill her battery and so she wants something more specific and with a controller.

We've got an Ipad, however the battery in that is even worse. I'm wondering whether a 7" Android based tablet makes the most sense here with an external controller. It'll be used outside so screen needs to be fairly bright.

She had been looking at a Steamdeck, but i think it's hugely overkil for her game requirements, and whilst it might be a goto after a while, something as a cheaper intoductury option makes sense.

Is Android the way to go for a cheap Intro to gaming, or does something like a Switch offer better functionality?

Not Android, but I would suggest something like a Miyoo Mini Plus or something from the Anbernic RG35XX range.
Alternatively, the cheapest Android retro system you can find will play the retro games AND native Android games.

It depends what she's after, and how easy she (or really you!) needs to find it to use.

A Switch Lite is the obvious answer for ease of use and a decent selection of games.

If price is an issue, have a look at Anbernic's range. They'll do everything from the RG35XX, which will run things up to about PSP level, to much higher end stuff. They'll all be a bit trickier to run and get games onto though.

Finally, have a look at something like the Retroid Pocket 4 for Android. It's in the middle of the range in terms of price and ease of use.

Not Android, but I would suggest something like a Miyoo Mini Plus or something from the Anbernic RG35XX range.
Alternatively, the cheapest Android retro system you can find will play the retro games AND native Android games.

Completely agree as I have a miyoo mini+ and it’s now used daily in short bursts but I am a fan of retro games and it’s rekindled a bit of love for gaming again.

It depends what she's after, and how easy she (or really you!) needs to find it to use.

A Switch Lite is the obvious answer for ease of use and a decent selection of games.

If price is an issue, have a look at Anbernic's range. They'll do everything from the RG35XX, which will run things up to about PSP level, to much higher end stuff. They'll all be a bit trickier to run and get games onto though.

Finally, have a look at something like the Retroid Pocket 4 for Android. It's in the middle of the range in terms of price and ease of use.

Completely agree as I have a miyoo mini+ and it’s now used daily in short bursts but I am a fan of retro games and it’s rekindled a bit of love for gaming again.

Thanks guys, the Miyoo Mini seems a little small at ~3.5" screen. I think something around 5-7" as a screensize would be better as she commented she wanted something a little bigger than her phone (Iphone Mini). The Retroid Pocket 4 seems like the best form factor.

With regards to games, i really need to get her to explain what she wants better. She seemed against the Switch for some reason, but feels like that's the ideal level. Something "fun" rather than in depth. She's never really played games before except stuff on her phone. Although something emulator based would be handy as it means it's cheap to cycle through games vs the Switch where i presume you're paying a premium per game.

Back
Top Bottom